Dow Jones "Death Cross"

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
A simple technical indicator - when the 50 day moving average drops below the 200 day moving average it's known as a "Death Cross." Despite the ominous name it simply means that the market is probably beginning a long term down trend, not that the word is coming to an end. It shook off the last two Death Crosses, but with everything going on right now will have a hard time shaking off this one.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-in-dow-industrials-down-5-since-record-high

A simple technical indicator - when the 50 day moving average drops below the 200 day moving average it's known as a "Death Cross." Despite the ominous name it simply means that the market is probably beginning a long term down trend, not that the word is coming to an end. It shook off the last two Death Crosses, but with everything going on right now will have a hard time shaking off this one.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-in-dow-industrials-down-5-since-record-high
I don't know when we will have another massive drop, but I'm willing to bet it's within 5 yrs. I am still investing in my 401k, but am not really optimistic about it having much value when I'm able to access it. I'm still hopeful that things will somewhat stabilize with our economy, but think that's just an optimistic dream more than a reality.

What is a 401K ?? Is it like a state pension scheme, if so most public sector workers over here are so rsttled that many of them are cashing them in as soon as hey can like my wife who cashed her lump sum in to pay off our mortgage.

What is a 401K ?? Is it like a state pension scheme, if so most public sector workers over here are so rsttled that many of them are cashing them in as soon as hey can like my wife who cashed her lump sum in to pay off our mortgage.
It's a retirement plan, but you buy stocks with it, instead of the govt just giving you an iou. Most big employers match what you put into it, up to a certain percent. Mine matches up to 6% of my gross pay. The main incentive, aside from the company match, is its buys stocks at pre tax dollars. It also grows tax free, until you take it out. Hopefully you retire one day, and start withdrawing from it when you're making less and will pay a lower tax bracket. The only drawback is you can't touch the money until retirement age, or you pay a heavy penalty to the govt. So as long as the stock market does well, your money is safe. Even if the market goes down, since your company matched what you paid in, it would have to drop 50% before you loose any money. I'm just nearing 52 now. I think you can start taking it out without penalty at 57 1/2 yrs old. So hopefully the market will still have value in 6 yrs. I'm not sure, but it may be 62 yrs old. Either way, I can't use it right now without taking the penalty. I've heard with penalty and taxes, you end up getting about 50%, which is what you put in it. I look at it as just another form of prepping.

Last edited:
It's a retirement plan, but you buy stocks with it, instead of the govt just giving you an iou. Most big employers match what you put into it, up to a certain percent. Mine matches up to 6% of my gross pay. The main incentive, aside from the company match, is its buys stocks at pre tax dollars. It also grows tax free, until you take it out. Hopefully you retire one day, and start withdrawing from it when you're making less and will pay a lower tax bracket. The only drawback is you can't touch the money until retirement age, or you pay a heavy penalty to the govt. So as long as the stock market does well, your money is safe. Even if the market goes down, since your company matched what you paid in, it would have to drop 50% before you loose any money. I'm just nearing 52 now. I think you can start taking it out without penalty at 57 1/2 yrs old. So hopefully the market will still have value in 6 yrs. I'm not sure, but it may be 62 yrs old. Either way, I can't use it right now without taking the penalty. I've heard with penalty and taxes, you end up getting about 50%, which is what you put in it. I look at it as just another form of prepping.
The age for receiving 401k payments without penalty is 59-1/2. I "retired" in April of this year at 57. If all goes according to plan, I wont touch any of my retirement accounts until at least age 62. I've done very well in the stock market since 2008, but I don't see it continuing to do well after about 2 - 3 years from now and I feel we'll see another depression shortly after that. I've been slowly switching most of my investments to ETF's and large cap dividend paying stocks. In my opinion, real estate is still the best investment.

The age for receiving 401k payments without penalty is 59-1/2. I "retired" in April of this year at 57. If all goes according to plan, I wont touch any of my retirement accounts until at least age 62. I've done very well in the stock market since 2008, but I don't see it continuing to do well after about 2 - 3 years from now and I feel we'll see another depression shortly after that. I've been slowly switching most of my investments to ETF's and large cap dividend paying stocks. In my opinion, real estate is still the best investment.
Nothing is a sure bet, but you try to cover all the bases that you can. One thing I tell people is if you have enough money to invest, then you're allready ahead of most of the world. If you invest in a few different things, then you increase your odds of something panning out. I'm going to go into a partnership with my son starting an electrical company. He finally got a license and I ran a contracting company for years, and will cover startup costs. I hope for both him and I that we make money, but nothing is certain in the world. We will see how it turns out. None of my investments are huge, but I certainly hope to have some income from something when I'm too tired to work anymore. (Which is getting closer all the time!). I do agree that real estate is and has always been good. The only problem is at today's prices it's hard to imagine it will continue to go up like it has in the past.

Latest posts

Back