Doomsday Prep For Non-Paranoid People

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes sir , canned food for 14 months for the wife myself and 1 other family member. I have a little garden aswell. 3 months supply of bottled water in the basement. & a few outside water collection barrels.
Some propane heat storage and I have lots of hunting clothes. Working on fuel storage now.
Bug out bag if I need to make the 15 mile trek to a family farm.

I know I could have all the armaments & food in tthe world & be a hermit. But one man cant do much. Close community of like minded people wanting to help each other is probably the most valuable resource people over look. I'm no Rambo, just an avg joe that loves the outdoors and my family.

Yes Ma'am ;)

I like the accent of the folks around the Misssissippi delta, New Orleans another lyrical accent sweet to the ears........... y'all :)

Bill that New Orleans accent is in a class all it's own. Grew up right outside New Orleans and have had that accent all my life. A little different from " High Southern". Both my girls got picked on so much as we moved around the country and lived different places with that accent.

My mother had the High Southern Mississppi Delta accent. My father was a redneck from the hills of East Central Mississippi, and he lost most of his accent. People from the Delta don't usually lose theirs. I grew up in the city so I have a Heinz 57 Variety accent, LOL A little bit of Delta, a little bit of Redneck and a little bit of cosmopolitan American.

Bill, I knew a girl in college from England who had been in Mississippi long enough to take on a good bit of Southern accent, but still enough English accent that it was very evident. I loved listening to her talk.

Last edited:
My mother had the High Southern Mississppi Delta accent. My father was a redneck from the hills of East Central Mississippi, and he lost most of his accent. People from the Delta don't usually lose theirs. I grew up in the city so I have a Heinz 57 Variety accent, LOL A little bit of Delta, a little bit of Redneck and a little bit of cosmopolitan.

My Dad was from Northern Georgia so he had a more harsh accent more like the mountain people of the blue ridge. My momma was pure Southern lady. I was raised right outside New Orleans in a little town on the Ponchatrain. Our place sat right on the water. Ran behind my daddy all my life and was his only daughter with 4 sons. My momma used to tell people she had to cut the webs between my toes before she could buy me my first pair of high heels. I was such a disappointment but never slowed daddy down. I can drive a boat better than a car, shot a bow better than any of my brothers.

I met a lovely woman who was working in Germany as a translator. She was from Lituania. Spoke such a good english with a fantastic Texan accent that I just had to ask how long she had lived in Dallas/ Ft. Worth area to learn the accent. She says: " I never been in America, much less Texas"...Me....huuuh??
Where did you get your english and more, the Texas accent? She: "I watched a lot of television shows and heard the original english they were speaking, but I had to read the Lituanin translation of all they said. I then wrote the things down, taught myself english." Me: OK, great, you are auto-didactic. BUT the Texas accent?
She: I WATCHED THE SHOW "DALLAS" MOSTLY... She copied JR Ewings accent!!! GP

I'm just wondering how much all that ammo weighs in at? How much could you carry and Bugout? How loud is a single shot? I was in a firefight that lasted almost 6 hours and used up just under 700 rounds of 7.63/39mm. What scared me the most, it took almost 100 seconds to load a 30 rd. mag and it was empty in just over 2 seconds...I had 7 mags and as I changed one and had a bit of a breather, I WAS RELOADING THE EMPTY...
BTW, just counted, I have 3000 Pellets at 4.5 mm and 2000 BB`S for hunting...and they all fit in a butt-pack and weigh about 2 kilos...GP

Last edited:
ammo has its weight...we had a guy on a different forum talking about ramping up my army here and issueing every dude with a rifle and one weeks worth of ammo, if I carry 6 mags, 30 rounds each,that's the initial amount they issue you with, multiply that with what you use in a weeks fighting, darn, I need a cart to haul that ammo with me

6 mags, 30 rounds each,that's the initial amount they issue you with, multiply that with what you use in a weeks fighting
John, all that BS you see in Hollywood of shooting on full auto...one magazine with 120 shots, a revolver shooting 13 times, and throwing a knife about 30 meters??
IS ONLY for Hollywood. I never used full ammo, only pick your shots, make each one count. Don't carry what you have to, make a Indian sled and drag it behind you. Gary.

Last edited:
yup, Hollywood is Hollywood...
that Indian sled is used here too, quick to make and sensible stuff.
full auto, not my cup of tea either,that was hammered into our skulls when training CQB with my reserve unit..

I was set on full auto to break an ambush. We had full metal jacket, explosive round then tracer, then again the same. We nicknamed it the sandwich magazine and had it marked especially for breaking an ambush or shooting at aircraft. Other than that, never. Ammo goes too fast and the reload or resupply never fast enough. An advantage of the M-16/AR-15, is a speed-loader adapter for the mag. If you ammo was on the little strips that fit the adapter. The old M-1 Garand also has a speed loading capability. Many others also, but your basic load is(6 mags) gone at full auto in less than 15 seconds at 700 rds./cyclic...Gary

A lot of ammo is used up in suppressive fire. I watched a movie last night in which someone made effective use of fireworks as suppressive fire. It took the enemy a little while to figure out that they weren't in any real danger from the fireworks, but served the purpose. If you've got bullets landing all around you, it doesn't really matter what caliber they are. I would think the 5.7 would be a good candidate for suppressive fire. You can carry a lot more 5.7 than 5.57. It just isn't all that common so resupply might be a big issue. Theoretically, you could use a 10/22 with a BX25 magazine for suppressive fire, but I'm not sure how intimidating that would be.

A lot of ammo is used up in suppressive fire. I watched a movie last night in which someone made effective use of fireworks as suppressive fire. It took the enemy a little while to figure out that they weren't in any real danger from the fireworks, but served the purpose. If you've got bullets landing all around you, it doesn't really matter what caliber they are. I would think the 5.7 would be a good candidate for suppressive fire. You can carry a lot more 5.7 than 5.57. It just isn't all that common so resupply might be a big issue. Theoretically, you could use a 10/22 with a BX25 magazine for suppressive fire, but I'm not sure how intimidating that would be.
Like you said, they are still bullets landing all around you reguardless of caliber. I wouldn’t John Wayne it even if they were bb’s!

John, all that BS you see in Hollywood of shooting on full auto...one magazine with 120 shots, a revolver shooting 13 times, and throwing a knife about 30 meters??
IS ONLY for Hollywood. I never used full ammo, only pick your shots, make each one count. Don't carry what you have to, make a Indian sled and drag it behind you. Gary.

In my military service we only ever chose to fire single aimed shots, The Brits learned from the Merkins in Nam where IIRC you chaps were averaging 20,000 rounds a kill at one time.

Last edited:
In my military service we only ever chose to fire single aimed shots, The Brits learned from the Merkin in Nam where IIRC you chaps were averaging 20,000 rounds a kill at one time.
The RO at a range I belonged to had been an armorer in Vietnam. I asked him about the spray and pray and bullets tumbling, etc. True, all of it. He said that when the M16s got back to him they were smoothbores from all the full auto burning out the barrels, no rifling left. With no rifling, bullets tumble. The innacuracy of the tumbling bullets meant you literally had to spray and pray because every shot went somewhere different, and so the more bullets you sprayed at the enemy the better chance you had of hitting your target.

Latest posts

Back