Doomsday menstruation..?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haloray

Reaction score
I know to pack tampons/pads in my bug out bag and to have a few boxes on hand but if SHTF and I run out, what next? I can't imagine what it must have been like before tampons and pads, I am not fond of rags, that sounds like it could be unpleasant smelling and more messy than it's worth. Any better solutions?

Well, I had a surgery MANY years ago so I don't have to worry about this but I have heard of a number of products that are reuseable for ttom...google... Diva Cups, Moon Cups and the Keeper...all are reuseable cups that are inserted to catch the flow and then removed daily to be emptied and rinsed. Apparently they take a little getting used to but they would be a much better alternative to any type of sanitary product that you'd need to dispose of.

I may not have the JOYS of that part of menstration but sadly I still get all the hormonal junk that goes along with it. At my age (49) I'd think that would be waning pretty darn soon!

Well, I had a surgery MANY years ago so I don't have to worry about this but I have heard of a number of products that are reuseable for ttom...google... Diva Cups, Moon Cups and the Keeper...all are reuseable cups that are inserted to catch the flow and then removed daily to be emptied and rinsed. Apparently they take a little getting used to but they would be a much better alternative to any type of sanitary product that you'd need to dispose of.

I may not have the JOYS of that part of menstration but sadly I still get all the hormonal junk that goes along with it. At my age (49) I'd think that would be waning pretty darn soon!
Thank you SO much for the info, they do look uncomfortable but I totally agree they look much more sanitary. As far as hormones go I am a firecracker myself lol ;)

google around a little bit...one gal did a review of one of the products and ended up modifying hers a little to make it work for her...that is why I said it would be something you'd want to get used to BEFORE shtf!!!! But I could see it being a good thing even in today's world with rising costs for everything! I'm all for saving a buck even if it takes a little more effort.

Making your own pads out of soft flannel may be an option. They are quite comfortable and as for sanitation, just keep a small bucket with a lid with a bleach solution in the bathroom and when you change them, put it in the bucket. When you do laundry, dump bucket and all in.

I know to pack tampons/pads in my bug out bag and to have a few boxes on hand but if SHTF and I run out, what next? I can't imagine what it must have been like before tampons and pads, I am not fond of rags, that sounds like it could be unpleasant smelling and more messy than it's worth. Any better solutions?

My grandmother, born in 1890 told me they used old rags. They would wash them as soon as changed, and hang them up to dry. I would imagine it's not something you can let sit around until you feel like doing laundry. I wouldn't use Tampons because of the toxic shock they caused some years ago. But that's just me. Watch for coupons and store up. They're not something that can spoil and go to waste.

Tampons were something I never used either. Never bought them for my girls either. I do pick up the economy sized package of pads every time I go to WalMart, because as RV-Kitty said, they don't spoil and they can double as bandages if you don't get the scented ones.

Thank you SO much for the info, they do look uncomfortable but I totally agree they look much more sanitary. As far as hormones go I am a firecracker myself lol ;)
I have actually used the "soft cups" before-they are NOT as uncomfortable as they look, actually oddly enough it is better than tampons. No worries- youll like it fine---as fine as "liking something for menstruating" goes :)

I am just so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so happy I don't have to mess with that mess anymore! Now if the hormonal swings would ease off things would be much better. I think I scared my doctor the other day when he asked me how my temper was doing. I've been a little bit unpredictable.

I have two sets of these made for both DD and my self in each bob along with water proof bag to store used one in for washing.

maxiclothmenstrualpadssetof6reusablepads3andinserts3-tattoo-f18264_zps9e0ad0f3.jpg

There is a good chance we will stop getting our period if S really HTF. It's common that traumatic event will stop our menstruation cycle. That was the case for many women during the holocaust.

Sea sponges. . .The best kind to get are farm sponges made for the purpose rather than wild sponges but any natural sea sponge (not your manufactured dish washing kind) can be used Get a large sea sponge and cut it into strawberry sized pieces that are rounded and oval shape. Always soak and sterilize before first use. To Use: Wet, squeeze out extra water and insert. It should feel comfortable, if not trim down. To Clean: Wash in 1 T baking soda and 1 c warm water or boil for 10 minutes. Let air dry. They should last about a year.

For the person who only has two sets....I am not sure how much or how long your menses are. But you may want to start using them now. I go through a lot more then that a cycle. I need several each cycle. I have about 14 and they don't last my whole cycle, I need to buy at least another 7. I have been using them for a year though and love them. But, I have found I had to tweak them too. Like double the core, and such as that to work better. So I would start using them now to make sure you got the right fit, and right core etc etc. I bought mine off etsy, and as I have figured things out that I like and dislike about them, I ask the seller to change the next batch she makes me accordingly.

For the person who only has two sets....I am not sure how much or how long your menses are. But you may want to start using them now. I go through a lot more then that a cycle. I need several each cycle. I have about 14 and they don't last my whole cycle, I need to buy at least another 7. I have been using them for a year though and love them. But, I have found I had to tweak them too. Like double the core, and such as that to work better. So I would start using them now to make sure you got the right fit, and right core etc etc. I bought mine off etsy, and as I have figured things out that I like and dislike about them, I ask the seller to change the next batch she makes me accordingly.
What about my pre-teen girls? What do you think I should look into? I have collected over 60 bags of pads and I keep getting them when on sale but I know that they will not last forever!

My girls will be using the etsy pads that I buy. It's hard to know the flow your child will have till they have it. I had a very heavy flow as a pre-teen so that's hard to predict till it happens.

My teen girl is now 16, she has been using the cloth since she was 14. Her stash hasn't changed that much, she has just added to her stash. She has 6 normal flow, 4heavy flow and about a dozen pantyliner. She on her own plays around with them by placing a pantyliner on a norm or heavy if needed. She has ran out on a few times, but now just warns me. Then I get them done before she gets home from school.

For a SHTF situation I would want a full cycles worth, you may not be able to hand wash and air dry in time for reusage on one cycle when you have no electric or running water.

Latest posts

Back