Don't be naive about your food and water stash

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The neighbor was right to try to help. Helping neighbors make a good community. I'm sure if the neighbor wouldn't of been so ornery, the guy that had it all together could of helped him for the next time.

It's never good to have the only lightened house in the street.....

I found that out during a Powercut some years ago. Everything went off, I broke out my lanterns, Light sticks etc rest of the street was dark. After a couple of hours we went around the street giving out handfuls of light sticks, spare flashlights etc. Thought I had done a good deal I was wrong.

Next powercut comes just over a year later, before I even look outside there is knocking at the door, "" Have you got any more lightsticks " and " The flashlights you gave us the batteries are dead have you any more" That was the last time I helped any of them.

The neighbor was right to try to help. Helping neighbors make a good community. I'm sure if the neighbor wouldn't of been so ornery, the guy that had it all together could of helped him for the next time.

Not when the neighbours start to see you as a soft touch or the go to guy for free stuff.

Up at the farm, I will help the neighbors all I can because they will help me as well... I know this.
BUT down here in the burbs??? Nope. We wouldn't be here that long for them to be at the door... the whole purpose in having a retreat in the boonies is to avoid that

I'll relate a story from about 20 years ago.
I was bicycling up a mountain in New Mexico. 10,800' and knew there was a small "convenience store" at the top. I thought I had brought enough water, but hadn't. 1/2 way up I was out. Getting thirsty. Then terribly thirsty. Sign said 3 miles, but I was going less than 3mph in gear 1 of 21. Pretty soon I started looking in the ditch for perhaps discarded beer/soda cans. Anything with a glint in the sun caught my eye. Maybe there were a few drops? I kept going. Desperate. Tourists passed me in cars now and then. Perhaps I should try to flag them down? Explain my situation? Ask for a drink?
What if they refused? Eventually I started having thoughts of TAKING WHAT THEY HAD BY FORCE and by ANY MEANS NECESSARY. I'm normally a rational man. These thoughts scared me.
Luckily, I came within view of the summit and gorged myself on water at their dispenser.

The point of this post is that desperate people will do ANYTHING to get your water, your food, your shelter, your medicine when it becomes necessary. Especially for a loved one, a spouse or a child. Especially a child. Don't fool yourself that people will be well behaved and civilized.

If you don't have a means of defending your stash, it WILL be taken.
We are evolved animals but we are still animals.

As far as water goes I have a deep well with a 60 gallon per minute pump in it. Also a new spare pump on the shelf. And a generator big enough to power it. I live way out in the country. Been here for over 40 years. I have very few neighbors, but I would share my last bag of beans and rice with them. As would they. After a while the line between friends and family blurs. It also helps that we both have small farms and live on the largest river in Western Montana.

I found that out during a Powercut some years ago. Everything went off, I broke out my lanterns, Light sticks etc rest of the street was dark. After a couple of hours we went around the street giving out handfuls of light sticks, spare flashlights etc. Thought I had done a good deal I was wrong.

Next powercut comes just over a year later, before I even look outside there is knocking at the door, "" Have you got any more lightsticks " and " The flashlights you gave us the batteries are dead have you any more" That was the last time I helped any of them.

No good deed goes unpunished. When they came knocking, I'd tell them that I was surprised that nobody learned their lesson. Sure, I have some. Offer to sell them at 3 times your cost to replace. I want everyone to 'win'. It'll cover the cost of all the freebies I gave away (I'd break even at best). It gives them light this time. And might motivate them to do something before next time. If they give me grief, I tell them to get off my property right now, anyone wanting to buy should return with exact change. Of course, I'm not foolish enough to have done things the first time.

Latest posts

Back