Don't assume your dog will protect you!!!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will your untrained dog protect you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roninsensei

If it’s sharp, I’m your guy....
Reaction score
I've been training protection dogs for 20+ years and experience has shown me time and time again. If your dogs not trained to protect you he wont. I'm talking like 99% of dogs will just run when pushed.

Here is one of the best answers I've seen to this question....
his name is Ed Frawley and his website is Leerburg.com. if you want to learn how to do protection work he has 30,00 pages of free dog training info.

QUESTION:
I have a smart, athletic 6 y/o Pit . I had him about two years before I knew he was even capable of barking. The other day something unsettling happened. I was in the bathroom and couldn't see the yard. But I saw my dog alert and look up at the bedroom window and then run to the back door. The intruder banged on my back door and proceeded to start a conversion with me which I briefly engaged to ask how he came to be inside my 6' fenced and locked yard. My dog did nothing! I never saw the person nor he me. I called the police afterward. He has at least once barked at a service person entering the yard in my absence. What can I do to get my dog to bark on his own without command?​
Donna, CA​

ANSWER:
Donna
It is not unusual for people to find themselves in your position. They feel that just because you have a dog of a certain breed it should protect you. Unfortunately it's a totally false assumption that occasionally gets people hurt.
I compare this to Michael Jordan - do you think that his boys will be able to just walk on an NBA basketball court and play NBA basketball when they are 20 years old? I think not. They need training. They have the genetics for the game but they need training.
This is the same for your dog. He has the genetics to fight but you have never trained him. He sounds like a very nice dog. I like dogs that are friendly - it is a reflection on their nerves. They have good nerves. Dogs with weak nerves are dangerous dogs - fear biters. Dogs with good nerves are trainable.
I don't know what you wish to do. If you want your dog to protect you I am sure he can do it but you will need to train him. I don't know if you have the skill or co-ordination to do this.
If you want to try I have training videos that teach you how to work your dog. The first two tapes involve work you do with your own dog at home. When he is done with this training you need to find a helper (agitator to take you to the next level) I can't help with that but if you study the tapes that follow these two you will know what the correct training is for your
dog. There are some real IDIOTS in this business. People who should never train a dog and who scam people with their stupid training. At least if you educate yourself you will know what is right for your dog. You owe it to our dog to make sure the training is correct.

Quick question....With all your dog training knowledge I hope you can help!
I have a 2.5 year old female German shepherd...very smart very loving dog.. I want to make her into a better 'homestead' dog. What traits do you think are important for a dog to have in case of SHTF- and what are ways I can help mold my dog into the best dog that she can be?

I dont expect my dog to ever protect me in case of an intruder-as she is kind of a big wimp (which is an understatement)!!But she will bark-and I dont want to discourage that behavior. When I am home alone I LOVE that my dog instantly lets me know if someone has pulled into the driveway.
She is very much a German shepherd and looks over her people-keeping track of where EVERYONE is at (even the neighbors, guest, the cats, horses, her toys, anyone...its kind of an obsessive behavior) She is fantastic with kids and small animals-a little unnerved by other dogs though. She is wonderful with the horses- but will occasionally they to get the neighbors cows to play-which they find unamusing.

I guess general question to all of you out there is: 1.) If you had to pick traits for your dog that would help you in a SHTF situation what are they? and 2.) What are the traits that your dogs have now that you feel are a great asset to you in case of a SHTF situation.

Sometimes the little ones have the biggest attitude ;) .....and honestly your pomaranian could beat the crap out of my German shepherd. Considering the 5lb tomcat (appropriately named 'Rocky') from the horse barn beats the crap out of her every time he thinks she is out of line, which was luckily only once this weekend. I felt like an idiot running from the garden in the back yard up to the house to save my dog who has resorted to falling over and crying like a baby when he goes after her.....and best of all my brand new neighbors saw the whole thing!

I have always found it funny that people get pit bull terriers thinking that they are great protection dogs. They're not. Human aggression has for the most part been bred out of them in the better lines. It had to be because these fighting dogs had to be handled by strangers on a regular basis, if one showed aggression towards a person, it would be culled immediately.

Now I'm not saying that you can't train one to protect you, you can and mine have been, but for the most part pit bulls have never met a stranger.

If someone wanted a dog for protection, I'd tell them to look at the herding breeds. Our German Shepherds would eat the ### out of an alligator if it crossed into our property.

Ronin is right though, don't expect miracles from Fido if Fido has never shown his colors before. Someone might be able to come into my house, but they won't be walking out of it.

I completely agree...and i envy your dogs.:)
I grew up with German shepherds and love them dearly- when I moved out and had my own place I knew that was the breed I wanted. I found a reputable breeder- who mostly sells her dogs to police training programs. I foolishly thought that my dog would be genetically inclined to be 'the perfect dog'... I was wrong.
It just goes to show that training is the key-and dogs behave to fit their environment. While more than half of my dogs litter mates when on to become police dogs-mine adjusted to her life style at my home.
My husband constantly makes fun of my wimpy dog...that I raised a pushover of a dog. Honestly, he is completely right.
Training is very important!! Not just the breed or where you get them from...even though that is still a key factor.

Well, and I think Ronin will agree with me on this. Some dogs just don't have the 'heart' to do it, no matter the breed. It's nothing against the dog, it's just their individual personality coming through.

I believe any person who walks by your barking girl needs to be dealt with by you and your firearm not the dog.

I completely agree...and i envy your dogs.:)
I grew up with German shepherds and love them dearly- when I moved out and had my own place I knew that was the breed I wanted. I found a reputable breeder- who mostly sells her dogs to police training programs. I foolishly thought that my dog would be genetically inclined to be 'the perfect dog'... I was wrong.
It just goes to show that training is the key-and dogs behave to fit their environment. While more than half of my dogs litter mates when on to become police dogs-mine adjusted to her life style at my home.
My husband constantly makes fun of my wimpy dog...that I raised a pushover of a dog. Honestly, he is completely right.
Training is very important!! Not just the breed or where you get them from...even though that is still a key factor.

Question Ma'am? Does your girl like to play fetch and have a serious desire to chase and retrieve a toy of some sort?

I think part of the problem people have is not exposing their dogs to proper socialization. Dog socialization isn't what most people think it is. Canine social training has nothing to do with meeting people or dogs. It's about putting your dog in such odd circumstances and forcing them to deal with it regardless of their feelings. They have to learn to trust you as there pack leader and trust you will keep them from harm. When we have that bond with a dog they will then start the serious protection training. That way when we say it's time to fight, they understand and trust that decision no matter what!

Also buying from a breeder who sells to police is not a guarantee on a dog with strong protection drives. This is a common theme I find all the time with clients. I think for you, being able to have her bark at someone then also her learning to quiet down and be silent on command is a very important and fundamental skill. Example... She alerts you to a potential threat and this person clearly has evil intent, It's helpful to be able to tell her to come to you and be quiet so shes no longer in danger and you can hide and attack when necessary a constant barking dog will give you away.

Great piece Ro...what the average joe does is overestimate thier own experience with a dog or horse. They like to think of themselves as the ultimate dog trainer ( after they finish reading a 3 minute article on the internet). They think they can tame the BEAST. Then they will get the accolaides they deserve as the worlds best trainer and dog. What they wind up with is a nightmare , a lawsuit, and an arrest warrant, and a lost animal. All in thier desire to be the best .....in 15 minutes. Horses are the same way. Dont think youll tame Black Beauty because you saw the movie. In either case your gonna end up with an injury to you , the animal, and innocent by standers.....know YOUR abilities and experience and let time and hard work lead you. Its seldom the case as to having bad animals, just stupid owners.

Great piece Ro...what the average joe does is overestimate thier own experience with a dog or horse. They like to think of themselves as the ultimate dog trainer ( after they finish reading a 3 minute article on the internet). They think they can tame the BEAST. Then they will get the accolaides they deserve as the worlds best trainer and dog. What they wind up with is a nightmare , a lawsuit, and an arrest warrant, and a lost animal. All in thier desire to be the best .....in 15 minutes. Horses are the same way. Dont think youll tame Black Beauty because you saw the movie. In either case your gonna end up with an injury to you , the animal, and innocent by standers.....know YOUR abilities and experience and let time and hard work lead you. Its seldom the case as to having bad animals, just stupid owners.

AMEN. We run into this crap all of the time. I can honestly say that my husband is horse trainer, he's trained professionally for some of the top farms in the country. We rarely take a horse that is 'broke' because we don't know what kind of cowboying was done to it, the same with a dog. One of the biggest parts of training a horse that you can put your trust into, is to constantly put it in new and potentially frightening situations. Don't say you're horse will take you through fire if you don't know it will for sure. Dobbin might be the bee's knees when it comes to nosin' you for a treat but put him in a fight or flight situation and you may well end up dead.

I believe any person who walks by your barking girl needs to be dealt with by you and your firearm not the dog.
Question Ma'am? Does your girl like to play fetch and have a serious desire to chase and retrieve a toy of some sort?

I think part of the problem people have is not exposing their dogs to proper socialization. Dog socialization isn't what most people think it is. Canine social training has nothing to do with meeting people or dogs. It's about putting your dog in such odd circumstances and forcing them to deal with it regardless of their feelings. They have to learn to trust you as there pack leader and trust you will keep them from harm. When we have that bond with a dog they will then start the serious protection training. That way when we say it's time to fight, they understand and trust that decision no matter what!

Also buying from a breeder who sells to police is not a guarantee on a dog with strong protection drives. This is a common theme I find all the time with clients. I think for you, being able to have her bark at someone then also her learning to quiet down and be silent on command is a very important and fundamental skill. Example... She alerts you to a potential threat and this person clearly has evil intent, It's helpful to be able to tell her to come to you and be quiet so shes no longer in danger and you can hide and attack when necessary a constant barking dog will give you away.

*Yes she definitely does! She is seriously toy motivated...it makes training hard sometimes because she would rather have her toy than any treat- So i figured I could work with her and instead of a treat reward her I with toss her toy around....did not work she was so obsessed with her toy she just would start at the toy the whole time rather than pay attention. So when I work with her on obedience stuff....I have to make sure toys are put away, then she seems to do pretty well.

I have to say I agree with everything posted. I have seen many dogs put into service for law enforcement use. Even after extensive training over 1/3 are washed out within the first few months. They can go through the training but when on the street where it counts they don't cut the grade.

We have 2 dogs, neither were trained for protection. One is my son's chocolate lab. Trained for retrieving it does great during training. Loves to hunt but that dog will not pick up a down bird no matter what when hunting. It will during training exercises though.
The other is a miniature dachshund my daughter has. Just a house dog. She is always "on patrol". She checks the house and makes her rounds. If she is not doing that she sits on the top of the sofa looking out the window being vigilant. No training, just her nature.

I think another important think for people to consider is that just because you are skilled in training one animal does not mean you have the ability to train another species. I worked with a horse trainer for years as her assistant! I am very confident with my skills in training horses/breaking colts/general care/ ect. I truly feel I have the horse thing down, and I made the mistake of thinking my horse training skills would help me in training my dog.....NOT TRUE! I had to get outside help for that one....did 2 years of obedience training with her through a local dog club. Didnt help as much as I was hoping...and I did a LOT of practicing.....There is just no comparison when it comes to training different animals.
I think this is a very common thing, just because you are good at training or handling one kind of animal-does not always mean that it will be as easy with another kind...just my personal experience

Ma'am we can work with her I'll just have to talk to you about how. Her drive and focus for the toy can be used you just have to learn how!! Her being friendly doesn't mean she wont be protective. We'll talk....

I'm certain if I scream bloody murder Teddy will protect me. Meet Teddy.

Attachments

• caucasian-shepherd-0002.jpg
    caucasian-shepherd-0002.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 10
My dog absolutely will NOT tolerate play fighting by humans or other animals. If I pick at my wife the dog comes to her rescue and lets me know I am doing wrong.... then she kisses me.

Latest posts

Back