Helpful Info. Dollar General canned meats are best value.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Prepper

A True Doomsday Prepper
Administrator
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Want to make everyone aware of a great way to stock up on canned meats. I buy my canned white chicken meat, beef, bbq pork, Turkey, tuna, corned beef. There Clover Valley brand is considerably cheaper than Walmart's great value brand. The best price per ounce on any canned meats. To make it an even better value, if you buy anything during a week day, even one can, you get a discount coupon on your receipt for the following Saturday and get $5 off when you spend $25.

Example, I go to DG on Monday and buy a 2 pack of 10oz. Canned chicken white meat for $3.75 and get the coupon on my receipt. Then I go back on Wednesday and buy the same thing, get another receipt with same coupon.then that Saturday I go back to any DG and buy 6 of the 2pack canned chicken and it cost only $21.45 plus tax. If you include the first 2 pack of chicken, That's 170oz. Of chicken, for like $27. I repeat the same or similar purchase of $25 and use the second receipt. You can do this as many times as you have coupon receipts. You can go once a week or once a month or whatever you want to budget for canned meats.

Since there is a DG almost everywhere you travel, it's not like your going out of your way to stop at one to buy this. Therefore your not using anymore fuel to get your canned meats stocked.
I have tried all of these meats and they are the same good quality as any other.

Last edited:
Want to make everyone aware of a great way to stock up on canned meats. I buy my canned white chicken meat, beef, bbq pork, Turkey, tuna, corned beef. There Clover Valley brand is considerably cheaper than Walmart's great value brand. The best price per ounce on any canned meats. To make it an even better value, if you buy anything during a week day, even one can, you get a discount coupon on your receipt for the following Saturday and get $5 off when you spend $25.

Example, I go to DG on Monday and buy a 2 pack of 10oz. Canned chicken white meat for $3.49 and get the coupon on my receipt. Then I go back on Wednesday and buy the same thing, get another receipt with same coupon.then that Saturday I go back to any DG and buy 7 of the 2pack canned chicken and a $1 can of soup and it cost only $21.43 plus tax. If you include the first 2 pack of chicken, That's 160oz. Of chicken and a can of soup, for like $27. I repeat the same or similar purchase of $25 and use the second receipt. You can do this as many times as you have coupon receipts. You can go once a week or once a month or whatever you want to budget for canned meats.

Since there is a DG almost everywhere you travel, it's not like your going out of your way to stop at one to buy this. Therefore your not using anymore fuel to get your canned meats stocked.
I have tried all of these meats and they are the same good quality as any other.
Most canned products are canned by the few large commercial canneries and then the labels are applied from different retailers afterwards. Same cans, same product inside. The main thing I look for on cans is price and expiration date. Unless your buying something for immediate use it’s worth checking the date before throwing it in your cart.

I am looking for canned fats like Crisco as well as meats. Also, all these dollar stores have a great selection of cheap first aid items, aspirin, antibotic skin creams, allergy stuff, bandages, etc.
I agree with you, and you introduce an interesting and valid point that I want to expand upon.

I add that I (and, presumably, many other people) buy canned tuna in water.

For emergency food storage, I believe one should buy canned tuna in oil. It has more calories, and I'm sure that the oil could--in a crisis--be repurposed for things like tanning an animal skin, for a firestarter, or possibly for soap.

Oils can aid digestion, and allow the body to assimilate fat-soluble vitamins.

I agree with you, and you introduce an interesting and valid point that I want to expand upon.

I add that I (and, presumably, many other people) buy canned tuna in water.

For emergency food storage, I believe one should buy canned tuna in oil. It has more calories, and I'm sure that the oil could--in a crisis--be repurposed for things like tanning an animal skin, for a firestarter, or possibly for soap.

Oils can aid digestion, and allow the body to assimilate fat-soluble vitamins.

My wife likes tuna in water. I like tuna in oil. Most fish is so devoid of oil you need some additional oil to digest it. Fried fish and especially fish and chips are examples. Eskimos do not live on fish so much as arctic mammals which are very high in fat. In fact, too much fish without oil causes a reaction in the body by which it makes you sick. Preppers should always opt for the highest calories possible.

My wife likes tuna in water. I like tuna in oil. Most fish is so devoid of oil you need some additional oil to digest it. Fried fish and especially fish and chips are examples. Eskimos do not live on fish so much as arctic mammals which are very high in fat. In fact, too much fish without oil causes a reaction in the body by which it makes you sick. Preppers should always opt for the highest calories possible.
I agree.

The Hudson Bay Company documented 'rabbit starvation', where trappers died from lack of calories by subsisting on rabbits, which are quite lean.

Latest posts

Back