Dogs

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Credz

Reaction score
I am just curious would it be completely useless to have a dog to help protect the family. Such as a German Shepard.

Any ideas on ways to train him please message me.

Thanks!

i grew up haveing dogs and other pets.but never had a sheperd..but yet i've known folks that has had them.and from what lil i know of them.id say,no not useless what so ever.it's a matter of chooseing a breed thats idea for you and family.especilly where children are involved.on acount they can be raised from pup to protect the children,and wife as well if needed.can be taught to do certain things n task by giveing them certain vocal/hand commands.

I feel that mix breed dogs are the best kind of dog to have. We recently lost the best dog I have ever known, he died of old age at about 15 years, and we had him since he was about 6 weeks old. He was half Black lab and half German Shepard, which is IMAO the best possible mix, he was smart, loyal, and fiercely protective of the wife and kids. If someone he didn’t know came in the yard he would put himself in between them and the wife and kids and there was no getting around him, yet he wouldn’t bite anything or anyone without permission, he also knew to raise the alarm at night; deer, rabbits, coons, or any non-threat, he would just run them off without waking us, but if a large predator or a person came up he would start barking and not stop till he got the order to stop. I never had to really train him it’s like he could read my mind. We miss him. Hopefully we will find another dog like him soon.

Dogs can be very useful but they can also be very harmful. If he's a barker he's harmful give away your location, Train them not to bark train them with both voice and hand commands. I have two one a outside dog and an inside dog. both are calm but can be aggressive Shepard's are a very good choice but I prefer unfixed male (english) labs. also train them to carry their own food and water if you have to bug out or extended walks.

I am just curious would it be completely useless to have a dog to help protect the family. Such as a German Shepard.

Thanks!
The man to talk to is Roninsinsea

Thanks!

The member to talk to is Roninsinsei, send him a PM.

I have had a bunch of dogs in the past but now i have a pit bull that has been the best dog ever ! Super smart, great family dog and scare's the living shit out of people. As for protection, i would say yes on getting a dog.

Dogs can be very useful but they can also be very harmful. If he's a barker he's harmful give away your location, Train them not to bark train them with both voice and hand commands. I have two one a outside dog and an inside dog. both are calm but can be aggressive Shepard's are a very good choice but I prefer unfixed male (english) labs. also train them to carry their own food and water if you have to bug out or extended walks.

good idea..but id have both dogs where thier indoor and outside dogs alike,,that way i can swap them out when needed.or have both outside or inside..that way i can choose on what actions i need to take..

good idea..but id have both dogs where thier indoor and outside dogs alike,,that way i can swap them out when needed.or have both outside or inside..that way i can choose on what actions i need to take..

It really doesn't work that way. an outside dog itsthe one you have to alert you to the bad guy (his alert is tearing into him) best method is a chain link fence surronding your house about 25 feet out. and guard your o/s house. if the bad guy get within 4 feet of your house he's in. the o/s dog should have little contact with humans as to distrust most. an inside dog will alert you to an inside bad guy thus getting you ready (armed) he should be inside your locked bedroom or if you have little ones inside their room. The training of each is different.

think about it..what if the indoor dog needs out to take care of buiesness? and the other dog is out there as well.what you gonna do when you need a dog inside your home for protection?thats why i say have both dogs where thier inside and outside dogs.that way you can let one out,and let the other in.and if you get then when thier 6 to 8 weeks old.then you can raise them to just you and family..

I feel that mix breed dogs are the best kind of dog to have. We recently lost the best dog I have ever known, he died of old age at about 15 years, and we had him since he was about 6 weeks old. He was half Black lab and half German Shepard, which is IMAO the best possible mix, he was smart, loyal, and fiercely protective of the wife and kids. If someone he didn’t know came in the yard he would put himself in between them and the wife and kids and there was no getting around him, yet he wouldn’t bite anything or anyone without permission, he also knew to raise the alarm at night; deer, rabbits, coons, or any non-threat, he would just run them off without waking us, but if a large predator or a person came up he would start barking and not stop till he got the order to stop. I never had to really train him it’s like he could read my mind. We miss him. Hopefully we will find another dog like him soon.
Sorry for your loss, no doubt they become part of your family. You'll never be able to replace him, but you may find another that is just as special in other ways. I'm pretty close to being done fencing 2.5 acres, and will get 2 outside dogs when complete. I will go for shelter rescues as mixed breeds are usually tougher, and I like recycling! I'm looking for security, companionship and animals that will help protect my rabbits and chickens. I'm looking at breeds similar to Australian sheppards or great pyraniese as they have loyal, protective and hearding traits. Good luck to ya, brent

I have had a bunch of dogs in the past but now i have a pit bull that has been the best dog ever ! Super smart, great family dog and scare's the living shit out of people. As for protection, i would say yes on getting a dog.
I have a pit inside that is my sick wife's companion. She is probably the most loving animal I've ever known and gives my wife great companionship. Even though she is a tough looking, muscley pit that scares everyone That looks at her, she is the absolute worst guard dog on the planet. There isn't an ounce of toughness or aggression in this little girl.
She loves everyone and would lick you to death. Pits really do get an unfair reputation.

I have an Akita that is very protective of her family. Her breed was for hunting bear over in Japan. They are hard to handle for newbie dog owners though, but she only barks when there is something you need to be alerted of. When I first met my hunny, she REALLY intimidated him, but he was a dog person and even after we were married, when he would "play fight" with me, she would stand in between us and growl. After 13 years, she counts him as part of her family. When hunny and I was out and my son who was 15 was home alone, wouldn't let a 'friend' into the house. . I have no doubt that she would try to protect her loved ones in a situation, but she is now 14 years old. I will miss her when she is gone for sure! I also have a pitt/lab cross and a dingo dog, but both of those are just fun loving and have never met a stranger, but will alert. I think they would probably lick them to death! When my Kasey aka 'Kay Kay' goes, I really want to get another Akita, but that is just my preference.

Dogs can be great protectors if you train them. However training a dog to be a protector I would not recommend, unless you are yourself trained. Instead, I personally would just get a dog which has a bred in loyalty to protect, such as; Australian Shep, Australian Cattle Dog (blue heeler), German Shep, Pitbull, boxer, any retriever. If you have the time to invest in training a dog for protection my advice would be a Belgian Malinios. These dogs are very durable, likely most police service dogs you've observed are actually these not sheps. They are very strong, work very hard and have very high prey drive, hunt drive and have very little cowardice. The dog pictured is a Mal, this is Robby, he was about 95 pounds in this picture, he was 7 years old. He was a police service apprehension, tracking and narcotics K-9. FYI im not an expert on other breeds of dogs, I do have 5 years as a K9 handler, but these were not your ordinary dogs, and I would not recommend them if you have small children

Attachments

• Robby.jpg
    Robby.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 11
I say dogs can be a great asset if they are trained to know who to like and not to like personally I'm still working with my dog to make it a great guard dog and to bring comfort to the family also

I agree with the recommend of a German Shepherd dog from WORKING lines. They look very different than what most people are used to seeing, no slant and sable colors come to mind. The key is to find people that breed protection dogs like me. Then the training has to be right. We specialize in family home protection which is different than standard protection. We believe the dog should not be a threat to anyone unless you want it to be..

Here's some of my pack. All family safe and all attack trained.

IMG_0640.jpg

20131005_112521-1 (2).jpg
New pup @ 4 months. I use a cap gun when they are pups. This pup will not run away from my gunshot, he runs back to me and sits . Mostly simple repetition and consistency for training , I use treat rewards initially. I presently have three Shepherds...............................They all hate Pelosi , I did not have to train that behavior.............Well then , make it the new avatar

Last edited:
Dogs are a great alarm system for the SHTF, if nothing else. That said, they can be fiercely protective of their "pack" (i.e. family) too. They also make a great deterrent in normal circumstances. Any would be intruder is likely going to move on to the next house that DOESN'T have a big dog.

My dog is hardly a guard dog but he can hear approaching people and animals 10X better then me so he has his uses besides being by best mate. The only struggle is that dogs drink at least three liters of water and consume at least 4000 calories daily. Consider this in your preps. I will be bugging in with my little dog so we can run the wasteland together lol.

Latest posts

Back