WTF!?!? Dogs for SHTF

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our Chihuahua pasted away a couple weeks ago . She was old and got a leaky beart valve that was filling her lungs with fluid . She lasted a couple weeks and fought s hard fight with it .
That just leaves Us the black lab for now .
Sorry to hear that. I know they are family.

Our last dog was a Chinese Shar-Pei. That damned dog ruined it for us and dogs. No dog like qualities at all. When you fed him he acted like a cat, sniffing the food a while first before deciding whether to eat any. The only thing he liked to do was tear up my garden. He ran away and we didn't look for him. We never got another dog after that.

My favorite dog was a female English Setter. She was actually my sister's dog but I took care of her while my sister was in college. The dog flunked out of obedience school and was sent home, LOL. But when I trained her she was very easy to train. You only had to let her know what you wanted. And she had all the right instincts for a bird dog. Froze like a statue the first time she ever caught wind of a covey of quail. She would retrieve ducks out of the water like a lab without any training or being told what to do. She just seemed to always know what to do. In the woods she would work a pattern never getting very far from me. And I swear that dog could read my mind.

Our last dog was a Chinese Shar-Pei. That damned dog ruined it for us and dogs. No dog like qualities at all. When you fed him he acted like a cat, sniffing the food a while first before deciding whether to eat any. The only thing he liked to do was tear up my garden. He ran away and we didn't look for him. We never got another dog after that.

My favorite dog was a female English Setter. She was actually my sister's dog but I took care of her while my sister was in college. The dog flunked out of obedience school and was sent home, LOL. But when I trained her she was very easy to train. You only had to let her know what you wanted. And she had all the right instincts for a bird dog. Froze like a statue the first time she ever caught wind of a covey of quail. She would retrieve ducks out of the water like a lab without any training or being told what to do. She just seemed to always know what to do. In the woods she would work a pattern never getting very far from me. And I swear that dog could read my mind.
Doesn't surprise me at all.

A dog can't be bribed, blackmailed, or seduced away from you.

I just wish that us humans--as a species--treated them better. They deserve better than we give them.

My terriers are loyal to only who ever feeds them, if they get out they never make any effort to return, in the passed they have escaped and been found over 20 miles away.
My real dogs, the two outside, know where their bread is buttered. Both are great friends. Noe the one that lives inside and sleeps in the bed, well, if you have food you’re her best friend.... I think it’s really not a good thing to spoil an animal too much. Kids either.

My Daughter has 2 Great Pyrenees . They are great dogs and take care of Her chickens and very protective of Their Family . People they know can pull up get out of their car and no problem . Someone they do not know pulls up they had better stay in their car until the dogs decided its ok .
I’ve never had the breed but everything I’ve read about them was extremely positive. They do eat a lot and have shorter lifespans though. If you take the time you can train most dogs to do what you want, some breeds just do it naturally though.

My companion during this lockdown, since wifey is on the other end of the state with daughter and grand-daughter, is a Basenji. While they are considered my many to be the "world oldest breed of dogs", a lot of people have never heard of them. They are AKA the African Barkless dog. While the do not bark, like the traditional dog, if you hear a Basenji scream, you would much prefer a bark. Think of a baby's shrill scream that makes you hair stand on end, that would be a Basenji. He is now several year old meaning he is past the Basenji destructive age.

We actually have 4 dogs. Two Vizsla which are an Hungarian sporting breed. We have a brother sister pair that we have hand raised. The mother died in childbirth and these dogs were bottle raised by my husband and I. They are great sporting dogs and also great guard dogs for the place. Very protective yet gentle family dogs too. The other two is a pair of Black Scottish Terriers aging now the male is 15 the female 11. They are house dogs that double as the vermin patrol. These two little dogs are probably the most loyal and intelligent dogs I have ever seen. Great house alarm and wonderful ankle biters.

Terriers are GREAT little dogs. So intelligent, as you say. My rat terrier, Button (my avatar) passed away last week. She was 17 and had a Stage 3 heart murmur that was getting worse and worse. She just stopped eating even her favorite foods her last 2 days. We miss her terribly. They do leave a big hole in your heart. :( My on-line persona and recipe website are named for her, an "Italianized" nickname my husband gave her. Best dog of all my 6 dogs over the years.

Last edited:
Losing a family dog can be worse than losing some friends, emotionally. Sorry to hear that Buttoni.

I'm not sure if I missed this thread way back when, or if I just forgot it. A key question is to ask what are the jobs that your dog will do. A small terrier can be great for alerting while eating very little, and easy to carry. If you want a dog that will make a presence, consider something like police use (belgian malinois or german shepherd). Keep in mind these larger dogs will eat a pound or more of meat per day, per dog. I believe zombies will provide a fairly steady meat supply for the dogs (and the more riots I see, the less and less that bothers me). It's interesting how GG & I are on opposite ends of this: he'd refuse to eat dog, and I don't have a problem with serving human meat to my dogs. Note, I'm not saying I'll go and hunt people, I think they'll come to me meaning harm to me & mine (with their demise then becoming the target objective). BTW, I'm not saying I'd want to eat dog either, but if I'm starving, I'd consider it.

Terriers are GREAT little dogs. So intelligent, as you say. My rat terrier, Button (my avatar) passed away last week. She was 17 and had a Stage 3 heart murmur that was getting worse and worse. She just stopped eating even her favorite foods her last 2 days. We miss her terribly. They do leave a big hole in your heart. :( My on-line persona and recipe website are named for her, an "Italianized" nickname he gave her. Best dog of all my 6 dogs over the years.

I’m sorry you lost your wonderful pet. Try to embrace the wonderful memories. I lost my favorite dog a couple of years ago and still miss him very much.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your loss Bottoni. Our English lab is getting up there in years too. He can't see or hear too well any more. The vet wants $3,000 to operate on his eyes. We really can't afford it right now.
Not as a replacement but I am looking for a couple of healers. The wife wants a blue one and I'm partial to red, although I don't care what color we get. I just need a couple good cow dogs.

We adopted a little terrier from the local pound and after only 4 hours of being with us and only 3 months old, she would not leave our side more that about 30 feet before coming back. Her name translates to "tiny" (PICI) and she weighs in now at 8 kg. Sleeps with momma, goes everywhere with us except shopping and church. Even in the restaurants here. If they are chipped and have their tags, you can take them anywhere there is no sign.
Some people complain: OH a DOG in the restaurant, how dirty!!!
I just make the comment that my dog is probably cleaner than lots of the people already in the restaurant and much cleaner than lots of kids with shitty diapers who I have to smell while eating..........🤮
She has ears bigger than her head and can hear a snail farting 100 feet away and barks like a Rottweiler even tho she sleeps with 6 cats...
Sorry to hear about your loss Buttoni, as I look at your Avatar, I see the picture of my Pici, just yours has a bunch of white fur on the chest, other than that, identical...GP

I worked on a farm in Queensland and have seen the Aussie cattle dog in action, he lived outside, only took commands from his owner and when he was told to go ‘home’ could walk miles to get there. He also found a calf left behind in a stream, amazing dogs. We’ve got a choc lab and she can sniff out a rabbit when we say ‘rabbit’ good for finding runs in a SHTF situation. When she barks she sounds like a rottie. We make sure we prep for her too, best intruder alarm anyone can have.

Latest posts

Back