WTF!?!? Dogs for SHTF

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@bigpaul

It is tough when a pet is good for some but dangerous to other family members. Never liked losing a pet. I don't have any now nor will ever again.

we lost our terrier bitch 2 years ago, tried to find another but haven't found the right fit yet, many modern dogs are not like what we had in the past, very inbred and highly strung.
That description fits most terriers anyways, lol. No doubt, certain breeds of dogs have traits that are common to them. But they are animals and have their own minds. I’m suprised about the collie, never saw one that wasn’t friendly.

I like a dog that is protective and agressive if it will mind what I say . My Red Bone I just lost to old age would get after People She didn't know . Once one of Us told Her to stop she would . Anyone I was friendly to she would be friendly to . Several years ago She bit a Professor from the University of the South that road a bicycle from off Sewanee Mountain and through the cove where We live . He called the County Police before I could talk to Him . A Officer that lives out here heard the call and radioed in that He was going to take the call . He made sure Little Ann had Her rabies shot and told the Professor that there is a county leash law but its not enforced and that if He's going to ride out here He needs to get some pepper spray because He's going to run into alot worst dogs than this one .

Last edited:
some years ago when living in a cottage on Dartmoor, we had 3 dogs, not aggressive but good watchdogs, came home and someone was hanging around so let the dogs out, anyway he reported us to Police as having vicious animals, the policeman came to see us and dogs made such a fuss of him he couldn't stop laughing, end of any further action, guy that reported us even got the breed of dog wrong.

My dogs will go after anyone at night that comes in the yard, but during the day while I’m there they love attention from people. My attitude is I have a locked gate and fenced property. If anyone comes in at night, they shouldn’t have, and deserve to get bit. I will deal with the lawyer afterwards.

Pits , Rott's , German Shepard's you have to watch while they are growing up to see how they act around strangers . Doberman's are very smart but unpredictable . Chows have anger issues . Iv seen individuals from these breeds be big pets and some that would attract on sight . Iv seen Chows that would bite anyone including their owner .

Rotties watch over the grand kids like a hawk when the kids are outside, the wife’s Dobermans like you said are very smart and a thinking dog and very very protective, only around strangers we have to watch them, they seem very sensitive to a strangers vibe, they hardly ever bark and responds to the wife verbal and hand commands.

I've got no use for an aggressive dog, and wouldn't have a potential biter or a barker around. That being said, our English Lab is very protective of my wife and wouldn't let a man near her if I wasn't around. He's also a racist mutt. He will bark at a certain demograpic of the population....

I've got no use for an aggressive dog, and wouldn't have a potential biter or a barker around. That being said, our English Lab is very protective of my wife and wouldn't let a man near her if I wasn't around. He's also a racist mutt. He will bark at a certain demograpic of the population....
That’s actually not uncommon for a dog raised by white people to be aggressive towards blacks and a dog raised by black people to be aggressive towards white people. Apparently they aren’t too different from most humans unfortunately. At least with dogs you can say they aren’t smart enough to overcome their fear of anything different.

We also have a black lab that My Wife "rescued" . Shes a young dog and would probably bite someone She doesn't know . She doesn't listen like dogs Iv had in the past will . I knew We were in trouble when My Wife called Me and said She's bringing home a Labrador Retriever Puppy .

My pomeranian has a great outgoing personality. And she loves everyone she see's.but yet.she will bark her head off,when ever someone walks past when we're inside

I think almost any healthy dog could be an asset post SHTF, but the key is recognize the dog as an individual and tailor your expectations accordingly.

For example, I live with my girlfriend who has a small maltipoo . . . not much larger than my cat.

Obviously, she can't be a guard dog that attacks on command, and would be useless for hunting.

However, she's very alert, she's territorial, and works as an excellent alarm system. She lets us know about people, other animals, etc. that come near the house, so she's a great burgler alarm. Being small, so only consumes a little food when compared to a large breed.

A friend at work has a golden retriever that seems to have excellent instincts for hunting. This dog is also very friendly and sociable, and would be very helpful post SHTF for traumatized children, and would probably help with depression and PTSD, yet I wouldn't expect her dog to be a good watch dog unless you want the intruder to get licked to death.

And so on.

In other words, I think any dog could be an asset, but how the dog would function depends on what kind of niche you give it.
Agreed! All trained dogs can be very useful, tactical chihuahuas included.

My English chocolate lab is getting old, 12 years. His hearing is starting to go and he's got a cataract in one eye. Its going to cost $2500 to get it removed. He still acts like a puppy even though he's having a hard time climbing the stairs and I have to lift him in the truck. Hes by my side day and night and goes everywhere with me. We have a deposit on another English lab from the same kennel in Mississippi where we got this one from.
I'm also thinking about getting a couple red healers to help me move the cattle around.

IMG_20180429_192548.jpg
I am and always will be a dog person,,,,,this is legs yup real original name there,,she has a twin sister her name is,,,leggy legs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Latest posts

Back