Dog's and prepping

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im thinking you may of gotten the retriver when it was still a pup..on account some have proven to be good/great family dogs..and protect the family members,mainly the children..
Yip, We got her as a pup from my Auntie. The dog was so gentle and I never thought she would fight another dog as she used to lay down if a mean looking dog was coming her way. When it came down to me getting attacked she went mad and my big sis had to get her off the other dog. I miss that dog Cara was her name.

I like a lot of the points I read on this thread. There is no doubt in my mind though, yes a dog may need to be fed, but they can be a good asset in a pinch, and are worth their weight. I think if you are considering a dog, the breed is very important for the traits you want. Sheppards are easily trained for security as it comes natural to them. Some are naturally good at retrieving, hearding, etc. I'm almost done fencing in my 2.5 acres and will start looking at shelters for two collie/Australian Shepard mix types, mostly to protect my hens, rabbits and future goats. I had a golden a few years ago that I took to a trainer. In one session that dog had sit, stay, down, roll, and shake down pat. She was so eager to please that she paid great attention to what you wanted. However, no matter how smart and eager to please, there was no aggression in the animal at all. She welcomed all strangers as a new source of affection. I now have a pit, and although she's a great dog, she's nuts, and dosent have a good 'off' switch when she gets excited. It's a normal tendency for her breed. Yes there are always the exceptional dog, no matter the breed, but if you pick the breed traits you want to begin with you'll have a happier dog and owner.

I like a lot of the points I read on this thread. There is no doubt in my mind though, yes a dog may need to be fed, but they can be a good asset in a pinch, and are worth their weight. I think if you are considering a dog, the breed is very important for the traits you want. Sheppards are easily trained for security as it comes natural to them. Some are naturally good at retrieving, hearding, etc. I'm almost done fencing in my 2.5 acres and will start looking at shelters for two collie/Australian Shepard mix types, mostly to protect my hens, rabbits and future goats. I had a golden a few years ago that I took to a trainer. In one session that dog had sit, stay, down, roll, and shake down pat. She was so eager to please that she paid great attention to what you wanted. However, no matter how smart and eager to please, there was no aggression in the animal at all. She welcomed all strangers as a new source of affection. I now have a pit, and although she's a great dog, she's nuts, and dosent have a good 'off' switch when she gets excited. It's a normal tendency for her breed. Yes there are always the exceptional dog, no matter the breed, but if you pick the breed traits you want to begin with you'll have a happier dog and owner.
My Staffie hate's hens,birds,sheep,horses,goats.....most animals in fact, She wants to kill them all but shes not fast enough to catch any. I keep her on the lead most of the time, I only let her off in wide open space with good sight of vision. She chased 2 grouse today.

Well, snowflake, have you decided on what to do yet? You could be grabbing your BOB and running out the door tomorrow!

Well, snowflake, have you decided on what to do yet? You could be grabbing your BOB and running out the door tomorrow![/q
Of course I was always gona take the dog but if she became problematic she would have to go. I guess a lot would depend on what tshtf was. I love my dog.........I also have a cat?lol

We've got two cats and a lizard. We're bug-in but when we run out of crickets and mealworms, Sean Connery will have to go out into the wild and fend for himself. On the other hand, we have a fair bit of dry cat food stored in case. We rotate through it because I'm not sure how long the stuff is good for. If we have to bug out we'll leave them food and water and hope that Freyja and Loki are still there when we reclaim the house.

We've got two cats and a lizard. We're bug-in but when we run out of crickets and mealworms, Sean Connery will have to go out into the wild and fend for himself. On the other hand, we have a fair bit of dry cat food stored in case. We rotate through it because I'm not sure how long the stuff is good for. If we have to bug out we'll leave them food and water and hope that Freyja and Loki are still there when we reclaim the house.
We have built a small cat house in the back garden In the hope that she would hunt and live in it. My cat is a grumpy old tortoise shell called Kat.

Thought I would let you all know I've put 3 days worth of dog food in Sevens B.O.B...Heheehaha, :DWell I'm not gona carry it but at least I put it in.

Ok you'll have to help solve a prepping domestic that me and my partner Seven are having. The thing is He want's to take our dog when we bug out and I don't.
He think's the dog's good for guarding...And she is.

I think She would give away our location by barking at threats, She would scare off animals during hunting, She could be a drain on our resources, And as much as I love my dog if it came down to it I would eat her.

So am I realistic or just sick?.

Sorry Dog lover's.

I have five dogs, they are all pitbulls. Sweetest animals in the world, but very protective of their "pack" They are great bug out dogs, because of their loyalty, they are also nice guard dogs, because they don't bark unless there is a threat that they feel unable to deal with on their own. Otherwise they are quiet, and if someone is invading your camp chances are good they won't know you have the dog until it has latched onto them. As with all dogs I have owned mine are trained to hand signals, or finger snaps depending on visibility. They are very obedient, and reliable. Also their stocky frames mean that if you are starving they provide alot of high quality meat.

Dennis

I have also trained my dog with signs....and most of the time she reads my eyes.;) Pitbulls are very good loyal dogs with a killer instinct.

Thought I would let you all know I've put 3 days worth of dog food in Sevens B.O.B...Heheehaha, :DWell I'm not gona carry it but at least I put it in.

Dogs can go a very long time without food. I'm sure the thought of it is terrible to most but they can go much longer than us. If its only three days save the weight. Go somewhere and Geo-cache it...

Dogs can go a very long time without food. I'm sure the thought of it is terrible to most but they can go much longer than us. If its only three days save the weight. Go somewhere and Geo-cache it...
I've just told Seven about the dog food in his pack and he thinks we should get the dog a pack. lol

Well you don't want normal words....could accidentally trigger it. And German is just so overused. Glad it gave you a laugh though! :)

For most other commands, we use English (because nobody is going to get hurt by accidentally saying "sit"....hehe)

No joke, put them to work!
Put them both to work?.....Maybe I should get a cart for Kid,Dog, Me and kit and Seven can pull us all LOL. Just recalled that cart means shopping trolly in the USA.....Now that would be a funny sight, family in cart on the Scottish mountains....It's all gone a bit jackass.

Never heard the term "shopping trolly" shopping cart maybe. A wagon will work!

6947459500177.jpg

Latest posts

Back