Dog's and prepping

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep, step daughter had a pair of spaniels, lovely dogs but so ingratiating!
my Cairn bitch was a good security dog, no attack or guard dog, but she'd hear someone coming to the house long before any human would and she'd bark her head off and let us know.
had a Poodle like that, no don't laugh, he'd hear my bike or dad's car a mile off and would be waiting at the door for us.
Poodles were originally used as retreivers by the French, the ribbon in the top knot was so they could see them in the brush.

I'm on the fence about dog ownership and use post SHTF.

Dogs have definitely helped our ancestors survive for many thousands of years, and they have proven their value in law enforcement, security, and war.

Also, I believe in the healing power of therapy dogs, and dogs can tell when someone is getting ready to have a seizure, and they have rescued people from drowning.

However, dog can get diseases that they can pass on to people. Rabies comes to mind, as does the various flea and tickbourne diseases.

Dogs have carried dead animals into the house (with the best of intentions) and exposed their owners to disease.

Also, dogs take a considerable stockpile of meds and vaccines to properly maintain their health.

When push comes to shove, I want a dog...but part of that may be more from sentiment than anything else.

I'm on the fence about dog ownership and use post SHTF.

Dogs have definitely helped our ancestors survive for many thousands of years, and they have proven their value in law enforcement, security, and war.

Also, I believe in the healing power of therapy dogs, and dogs can tell when someone is getting ready to have a seizure, and they have rescued people from drowning.

However, dog can get diseases that they can pass on to people. Rabies comes to mind, as does the various flea and tickbourne diseases.

Dogs have carried dead animals into the house (with the best of intentions) and exposed their owners to disease.

Also, dogs take a considerable stockpile of meds and vaccines to properly maintain their health.

When push comes to shove, I want a dog...but part of that may be more from sentiment than anything else.

There is very little that can be transmitted from dog to human, yes rabies can but we haven't had a rabies problem in these parts for a good long time. All my dogs have been vaccinated against rabies and none carried dead animals back to the house.

My dogs are my first line of defense plus they keep the wild animals away from our stock. Generally the dogs that stay outside eat more wild small game than the so-called dog foods so the expense is very small (for my working dogs).... though my Wife has three Papillons (house dogs) and them SOBs cost a lot money to maintain their health. One of her Paps have Canine Immune-Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (IMHA) - In one month (last month) the vet bill was $1800 and still going, the dog needs blood test twice a week plus blood transfusion every 6 months and is on 4 different meds just to keep the dog alive. The Paps are noisy given they can hear a butterfly fart and they all go off barking so if you want to sneak up on and Indian, don't take a Pap with ya given they are worthless and totally not silent

Though, I can see un-vaccinated dogs being a issue post-shtf particularly with rabies, an explosion of rabies would be devastating among towns and cities and perhaps out here in the wild for any carnivorous that may feed off these infected dogs.

Last edited:
There is very little that can be transmitted from dog to human, yes rabies can but we haven't had a rabies problem in these parts for a good long time. All my dogs have been vaccinated against rabies and none carried dead animals back to the house.

My dogs are my first line of defense plus they keep the wild animals away from our stock. Generally the dogs that stay outside eat more wild small game than the so-called dog foods so the expense is very small (for my working dogs).... though my Wife has three Papillons (house dogs) and them SOBs cost a lot money to maintain their health. One of her Paps have Canine Immune-Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (IMHA) - In one month (last month) the vet bill was $1800 and still going, the dog needs blood test twice a week plus blood transfusion every 6 months and is on 4 different meds just to keep the dog alive. The Paps are noisy given they can hear a butterfly fart and they all go off barking so if you want to sneak up on and Indian, don't take a Pap with ya given they are worthless and totally not silent

Though, I can see un-vaccinated dogs being a issue post-shtf particularly with rabies, an explosion of rabies would be devastating among towns and cities and perhaps out here in the wild for any carnivorous that may feed off these infected dogs.
My dogs carry a lot of sentiment, but are good protectors as well. I would do whatever I can to keep them fed. That being said, if it ever came down to it I could eat them as a last resort. I think I would be able to avoid that in most situations. I do know that shortly after the wild game was exhausted your neighbors will start looking at your dogs as a food source, so keeping them close would be wise.

My dogs carry a lot of sentiment, but are good protectors as well. I would do whatever I can to keep them fed. That being said, if it ever came down to it I could eat them as a last resort. I think I would be able to avoid that in most situations. I do know that shortly after the wild game was exhausted your neighbors will start looking at your dogs as a food source, so keeping them close would be wise.

Very true, luckily I don't have neighbors close enough to worry about, there are hunters that have strayed on my property in the past and it's them I'm more worried about since they seen my stock up here and given a lot of them can make there way here without using the paved road not to mention a lot of hunters use silencers that compound the problem here. So ya, keeping the dogs close is a must.

I've just spent 5 months without a dog and the house is so quiet! luckily that particular dry spell will be over in a couple of weeks when we get our new puppy. personally i'll rely on a dog a lot more post SHTF than I will any person, ticks and fleas are easily dealt with and we don't have any trouble with rabies in this country, I think they have it in parts of France.

Latest posts

Back