Dog Food Storage

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DB_Cooper

Reaction score
Anyone know how long you can store dog food? I have Mylar bags and five gallan buckets with O2 obsorbers. Not sure if this is important or not but I feed Blue Buffalo Wilderness (grain free). This stuff is kinda expensive $55.00 for 25lbs. I have two Yorkies and would need to store about 75lbs for a year.

I don't know how well it will keep to be honest with you. I don't know what the fat content is. Your best bet would be to call the maker and ask them. I buy 400 pounds of dog food every 6 weeks, but we go through it fast with the dogs we have. I keep rice and canned scrap meat on hand as well for emergency food for them.

How long does each bag last you? And don't most dog food bags have expiration dates printed on the bags. And the dog food looks like cereal or dehydrated stuff. So as long as they are in Mylar bags, they should last a while.

Well it's tough to say right now. I was fostering a 130lb Male Rottie that I recently rehomed Now it's just my two 8lb Yorkies. I am guessing three to four months per bag. I would like to long term store enough for two years. This is how much food I have stored

well you can buy a bag, and it can be a test bag, and see how long it last. if it is small enough to fit in a five gallon bucket, then you can place one in there and check it out every now and then. you can start by purchasing 3 small bags that fit in a five gallon bucket each. open one in 3 months, 6 months, and a year from now. after opening each bag, check to see if any bugs, holes, smells, looks, taste. not only will this be a test but it can also be part of the dog food storage.

Good suggestions as I have the same questions and feed my dog the exact same food, but he is a 100lb Mastiff Mix. Please DB_Cooper let me know how your test progresses and I will try it on my end as well.

I was feeding Blue as well and I have 3 Golden Retrievers and was going through a 40lb bag every couple weeks, but as part of my prepping I have moved them to eating raw. I raise the rabbits and so they eat those along with rice and fresh fruit and veg.

That could be a good idea as well. My dog is really picky but he may enjoy a raw food diet too. I will have to test that as well.

Vittles makes execllent food storage. You should be rotating the new stuff as they eat it. I also use blue buffalo but for survival I think you could switch to something that lasts longer or they eat what you eat.

Vittles makes execllent food storage. You should be rotating the new stuff as they eat it. I also use blue buffalo but for survival I think you could switch to something that lasts longer or they eat what you eat.

Canned food would last the longest and be balanced. Trying to make a "balanced" raw diet for dogs and cats isn't easy.

i've always bought the bag dog food at dollar genral..i have a storage container for bird feed that i bought at pet smart,in which i keep the dog food in that im feeding her.i have a pomaranian.and she prolly dont wheigh 8LB'S.so one bag of food probally last 3-4 months..and she gets to eat what we eat.we're carefull about how much people food we feed her to..

Come SHTF, my dogs will just have to deal with it like we do. I love 'em, but man, can only do so much. Of course, they've never turned their noses up at people food scraps. :D
Certainly not stockpiling gourmet dog food though...but damn, more power to you if you can. I've been checking more into making our own kibble (and horse feed).

Latest posts

Back