Does anyone else see an economic crash coming?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly, so why bother with an inferior cryptocurrency?
I guess there are two ways to reply to that. The first is that you should probably ask someone who recommends crypto, which is not me.

The second is that your logic is flawed. You said "Exactly, so why bother with an inferior cryptocurrency?" after I said that it might not be "good as gold." Right? By your logic it would not make sense to invest in *anything* that is less good than gold then. That includes silver and everything else on the list. So unless that's really what you're suggesting, your reply above was dishonest.

I don't really care which it was. This board has an Ignore feature.

All these cryptocurrencies are nothing more than highly speculative fantasy values without any real countervalue.

- No stability, their "value" changes by every second.
- No countervalue, OK, other currencies dosn't have something stable anymore since the gold standard falled, but there's absolutly nothing around except some data on the internet.
- Nothing physical, all is only some theoretical bits and bytes.
- Works only by internet.
- Can't pay any bills with it.

In my eyes cryptos are less than an weekend in Vegas: speculative, non-realistic, phantasy with an big chance to lose your money - just without a free drink and watching the boobs of the showgirls.

To be fair, the market moves very quickly, so it's hard to say much about the crypto and non-fungible world that is set in stone.

For example, linking land ownership to a token bijectively to a set of perpetual leases is an actual thing. I know from experience, since I just purchased land in Exuma Bahamas (well, connected my wallet in preps for the what they call a "whitelist mint"). So, there is something physical...I will have to build a home on it with real money, but the land is mine - forever.

Not trying to be argumentative, but just trying to explain that crypto created for non-fungibles is a direct example of how these digital currencies are connected to hard assets. I have dozens of examples.

Without electricity, no computer, no internet.

No internet, no cryptocurrency.

Unless it's stored on a hard wallet. Offline. In certain instances, depending on the project/contract, you can continue to earn passive income while being offline.

Just trying to be informative...

Last edited:
This is exactly what I prepare for. I'm reading a book just started it yesterday about the same subject and it brought a thought to my head. Instead of collecting and investing in gold and silver, instead invest in goods. The reason behind this is when shtf and money means nothing, silver and gold in my personal opinion will also mean nothing. If your looking to barter or trade with someone, think about this, what can I really do with gold? Give me something that helps me live a few more months.

I've never tried, but I don't know if they'd take our gold coins either? They may be more inclined to take cans of Campbell's soup?! (I think I would!)
Yep, that's what I'd want (FOOD!) if I was running a gas station after SHTF

I don't really care which it was. This board has an Ignore feature.

Well, listen to Mr. High and Mighty.

35b4551c-818b-4b16-a671-3d4549b59f97_text.gif

Ran across this. I was checking out some silver and gold you tube posts. Also, Dave Ramsey, a local guy who went national, says gold and silver are bad investments. Don't see it.

Ii bought gold and silver recently, not as an investment, it's to keep from losing value nd my wealth from being deleted or becoming extremely expensive toilet paper.

I guess I worded my post incorrectly. Dave Ramsey just said not to buy silver and gold. I think I'm the one that said the word investment.

I've never tried, but I don't know if they'd take our gold coins either? They may be more inclined to take cans of Campbell's soup?! (I think I would!)
They have to pay for the gas that they buy, right? So a lot would depend on whether Exxon is going to start accepting canned food for wholesale gas.

They have to pay for the gas that they buy, right? So a lot would depend on whether Exxon is going to start accepting canned food for wholesale gas.
You're talking "normal times" when they're going to be re-supplied by corporate...the wholesaler is gone! I'm talking SHTF and this guy is doing the best he can with what's left in his underground tanks. In my opinion, I think he'd want to barter for food, ammo etc. rather than any currency, paper or precious metals. Food and ammo trumps precious every time when you want to survive!

If I had a Gas Station after the SHTF I'd be running - - - - - - Fast o_O
As long as people acted civilly and didn't want something for nothing, you could be a great help and would be highly appreciated, but if a group decided they wanted what you had, it could be a real pain to defend, for sure.

You're talking "normal times" when they're going to be re-supplied by corporate...the wholesaler is gone! I'm talking SHTF and this guy is doing the best he can with what's left in his underground tanks. In my opinion, I think he'd want to barter for food, ammo etc. rather than any currency, paper or precious metals. Food and ammo trumps precious every time when you want to survive!
@Dave_V He doesn’t have a clue that the Exon, Shell,Valero, Mobil is just someone that pays for that name.
Maybe we shouldn’t let the uninitiated in on the concept of franchises or branding. Let them fend for themselves

It all depends. An isolated gas station has no hope. But if it is in a defended area, with enough locals dedicated to keeping it safe, then a gas station would be a tremendous asset.
Of course there is the problem of resupply...(ever watch Mad Max?)

Don't presume. Your SHTF scenario is not the only one. You can imagine the SHTF and there is still gas. Less of it, less often, etc. But still some.

If you mean some sort of event where there is no gas left and people are fleeing... I think that gas station attendant is already gone with as many jerry cans as he could fit on his roof rack.

Latest posts

Back