Does anybody have a soar oven?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkbait

Reaction score
Hey all,we bought a Global Sun solar oven earlier this year as an additional cooking source that requires no fuel.Finally got around to start learning how to cook in this thing about a month ago and have been having great success with,providing there's good sun.So here's a little review.

The hottest i've gotten it is 375 deg with an 80 deg outside ambient temp and i've now cooked everything from dry beans to chicken breast to cakes and breads.

The good-
It does work

It doesn't burn or brown food because it cooks like a convection oven,even breads do not form a crust unless you brush with butter or egg,even then,it's a very light crust

It is well built for what it is

No fuel or precious firewood needed to cook

Food (when cooked under proper lighting conditions) comes out perfect every time

I got the oven up to 325 deg on a dry test in feb at 20 deg outside ambient

It will pasteurize water and boil water

The bad-

I feel for the quality,they are overpriced

It's not a set it and forget it oven,you have to stay with it to rotate along with the sun to maintain best constant temps.

I will not fry anything,period

Cloud cover can put a giant damper on it maintaining temp.

Over all,we love it and feel the benefits outweigh the downsides as an alternative cooking method.I do have woodstoves in both my home and garage,but who wants to start a fire in the house in the middle of july when the power is out?Or waste the wood or other fuels when you don't need to?

If anyone has one,even another brand,i'd love to hear your feedback on them.For those that haven't seen one here a couple pic's of ours.I'll also be glad to help answer any questions on them that I can.

DSCF2071.JPG
DSCF2072.JPG

Hey all,we bought a Global Sun solar oven earlier this year as an additional cooking source that requires no fuel.Finally got around to start learning how to cook in this thing about a month ago and have been having great success with,providing there's good sun.So here's a little review.

The hottest i've gotten it is 375 deg with an 80 deg outside ambient temp and i've now cooked everything from dry beans to chicken breast to cakes and breads.

The good-
It does work

It doesn't burn or brown food because it cooks like a convection oven,even breads do not form a crust unless you brush with butter or egg,even then,it's a very light crust

It is well built for what it is

No fuel or precious firewood needed to cook

Food (when cooked under proper lighting conditions) comes out perfect every time

I got the oven up to 325 deg on a dry test in feb at 20 deg outside ambient

It will pasteurize water and boil water

The bad-

I feel for the quality,they are overpriced

It's not a set it and forget it oven,you have to stay with it to rotate along with the sun to maintain best constant temps.

I will not fry anything,period

Cloud cover can put a giant damper on it maintaining temp.

Over all,we love it and feel the benefits outweigh the downsides as an alternative cooking method.I do have woodstoves in both my home and garage,but who wants to start a fire in the house in the middle of july when the power is out?Or waste the wood or other fuels when you don't need to?

If anyone has one,even another brand,i'd love to hear your feedback on them.For those that haven't seen one here a couple pic's of ours.I'll also be glad to help answer any questions on them that I can.

View attachment 1231View attachment 1232
thanks for the info! you answered several of my questions

No problem Clyde.While not cheap,I feel it was a good prep.Theres also a ton of reviews on youtube on these showing the upsides and downsides.Just search global sun oven.Watching them really helped in our decision to buy one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back