Do you rely on GPS?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it does. Every person using Google Maps to navigate is sending real time information to Google about where they are, how fast they are going and what direction they are traveling. When traffic stops, Google Maps knows it immediately. It even shows when a line of cars stops at a stop light.

Any turn-by-turn navigation app does the same, whether it's Google, Apple, or Mapquest because they HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE in order to tell you when to turn.
Handy for real time info on where the cops are looking to write speeding tickets

What’s not to trust with google? They pretty much admit they are going to invade your device and use and sell all your information. The trade off is they give you really great apps for free. It’s all there in that 10 thousand word user agreement that no one ever reads…. Sad, but true.
on a side note I really enjoyed the movie Jexi. It’s about a made up computer AI operating system that takes over a guys life. Decent comedy and likely coming to a device near you one day….

I get my free traffic info and updates from the Automobil Association app, I simply plot the route details ( start finish etc) and it gives me the route and info, THEN I TURN IT OFF, and its runing through a private window on my laptop so it cannot plant cookies or harvest info. I have NO google maps as there are plenty of free alternatives like Open Streetmap.org. We also have LIVE TRAFFIC news on 99% of UK FM radio stations which interupts whatever you are listening to in your car to give you up too the moment traffic news.

ANYTHING to avoid Google / Facebook / Twitter etc.

My son is a surveyor and uses all of the latest GPS stuff. He says his equipment is accurate to a fraction of an inch. One of the things he does is to locate the original section corners. Many of which date back to the original survey from the mid 1800's. He say its amazing how accurate the old surveys were. We'll get along just fine without GPS after SHTF.

My son is a surveyor and uses all of the latest GPS stuff. He says his equipment is accurate to a fraction of an inch. One of the things he does is to locate the original section corners. Many of which date back to the original survey from the mid 1800's. He say its amazing how accurate the old surveys were. We'll get along just fine without GPS after SHTF.
Louis and Clark were amazingly accurate on their maps of the westbound journey. Primitive tools just meant the user had to be smarter.

One cloudy night last fall I was at my brothers place drinking and one of his friends drove off into the woods and got lost. I (plenty drunk and fully confident in my navigation abilities) said "I'll go get him, I know all those trails!" pulled out my phone, opened the map and got half way to his pin when my phone died. I found him thanks to his headlights, and after another beer, it didn't take us long to mistake east for south and end up in someones field a few miles away trying to explain what we were up to lol. Sure was fun and I definitely needed a reminder that there are more branches on the south side of the trees, but I'll take a compass over a battery powered device any day! Luckily, where I am in minnesota, magnetic north is actually geographic north (for now)!

I read that about when Putin travels the gps is warped anywhere near him. Brilliant way to confuse satellite guided bombs, but more likely just showing off their technical prowess. No sane government is going to launch a smart bomb at any world leader and not expect it to start ww3. Hopefully anyways….

It depends on the constellation you are hitting, signal strength, for accuracy.

There is the civilian side of GPS and then there is the military side. The military side is far more accurate.
My wife, an Air NG officer and member of SpaceForce can give an entire dissertation on the subject, off the top of her head.

Latest posts

Back