do you like my safe room and decontamination plan?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe5858

Reaction score
Hello- please critique my safety plan in event of chemical attack or airborne illness. As mentioned in previous posts, I work in NYC and live 20 miles outside city. In this plan, I am assuming that the incident will occur in NYC and the air in our town will be safe (but as detailed below, we will be taking precautions until we know its safe).

Initial Steps;

1. Upon hearing of emergency, wife turns off electric heat or HVAC

2. She moves bug out materials to safe room.

3. Safe room is master bath on second floor (one window)

4. Wife prepares skin decontamination room for my arrival home. I will be arriving wearing a mask and level B chem suit

5. Wife places bug sprayer mixed with 10 parts water to 1 part water outside the garage. She also places extra rubber gloves, rags, talcum powder and heavy duty brush.

6. Wife removes one window pane from garage. She covers open space with polyethylene sheeting, secured by duct tape. She makes a small hole in sheeting and runs hose with pressure nozzle attached through the hole. Wife then turns on hose so that it is primed and ready for use.

7. Wife travels with baby to safe room.

Plan for safe room:

1. Wife covers all -Cover all window seams and joints

2. Wife entirely covers the one window with polyethylene sheeting, sealing the sheeting to wall thoroughly with duct tape.

3. Wife places adhesive tape in the space between door and floor and covers with a wet towel.

4. Wife does not use water sources in bathroom until certain they are not affected.

Plan for decontamination:

1. When I arrive home, I access materials left outside garage.

2. Wife is able to help hose me off from inside the garage if we deem air at hometown is safe. She is only allowed to leave safe room if notified by me after my arrival home.

3. Otherwise I spray myself with the bleach and water mixture, then hose off thoroughly with water.

4. I then remove and discard suit. I don rubber gloves, cover myself in talculm powder, use gauze pads to wipe off powder after 30 seconds.

5. I thoroughly hose off again.

6. I then enter the home.

After I am clean:

1. If it is determined my risk of contamination is low then I join my family in the safe room and it is resealed.

2. If the air in my town may be affected or I am uncertain if I properly cleansed myself, I then establish my own safe room, following the same procedures as my wife. I choose a walk in closet, close to the master bath so that we can communicate through the walls. The walk in closet will not have windows.

My direct questions

1. where would you improve my plan?

2. Is the master bath a good choice for a safe room?

Thank you.

you and wife may of thought of this already..food(s) water..comforts,like sleeping bags air mattresses and air pumps pillows.changes of clothes.trash bags or something else for dirty clothes..port-a-potty(s),and something to keep it from stinking and germ free much as possible..diapers if needed..different things for hygiene..all these things kept in one corner of safe rooms right along with the said items to make them safe rooms when needed

yup,on the same page as Jim,store something already in your safe room,it makes it easier for your wife,she will be already very worried about you,your baby and in the rush might forgett something important,but looks like a very good plan.
you are putting alot of effort in it..by the way,there are also "hand pumps" to help you keep your confined space in "better air"

It looks like you've got a pretty well thought out and thorough plan. I guess the only thing I question is if you're that concerned that New York is going to be subject to that kind of terror attack, why live there? I feel certain that we are going to see our way of life change in this country before too long, and living somewhere that's sustainable and safer just makes sense to me.

planning never stops,only when you have to act...otherwise it's something that will go on, you'll find something you wanna change and/or make better..
we have to adapt,no other way...funny what a big motivating effect kids are :)

Latest posts

Back