Must Read Do you have body armor in case of civil conflicts or war?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Prepper

A True Doomsday Prepper
Administrator
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
I recommend everyone think about getting body armor now. It's one of the most overlooked equipment preps. If you have firearms, guns and other weapons, which almost all of us do. Why dont you have body armor? They go hand in hand.

I'm getting new body armor, mine is outdated. If you didn't already know, body armor does degrade and becomes less effective. You can still use your plates, but you should replace your vests every 5-10 years.

I'm looking to go with at least Generation 3 + vest, likely a Gen 4 Also thinking about an armored helmet.

I'm looking at Second Chance and Armored Republic. What's your preferred brand and type?

what EVERYONE needs ABSOLUTELY - and it isn't that expensive $$$ >> some kind of head protection - with rioting & civil action there's can be more danger of thrown objects and blunt attack weapons than firearms ....

modern ballistic kevlar helmet would be great - but even a construction helmet would be better than a bare noggin ...

The one I was looking at was Spartan AR550 level3+ shooters cut w/carrier, selecting ATC Advanced Triple Curve, Full Coat Frag Mitigation Coating and Trauma pad the cost was $508.99

One the wife wanted was level 4, $660 without ATC, Mitigation Coating and Trauma pad, adding the extra would bring the cost in the $750 range

do have a plate carrier,soft side armor and soft+hard plates front and back and have a soft vest with trauma plate too,
do my best to keep the load light for movements sake,don't wanna haul those cumbersome super heavy things the young boys and gals do.
if my memory servers me right mine stops the "russian short" we have in use here and that was only the hard plates, with added soft it's better.

Unless I was returning to the military I would not use body armour, I've no intension of getting into major gun battles, and 90% of shoot outs are over before I could get a plate vest on. None of my cold war colleagues ever liked wearing armour when I was in the army, its just more unneccssary weight, and I would rather carry more food or ammo than armour which as a Light Infantryman only slowed me down.

Unless I was returning to the military I would not use body armour, I've no intension of getting into major gun battles, and 90% of shoot outs are over before I could get a plate vest on. None of my cold war colleagues ever liked wearing armour when I was in the army, its just more unneccssary weight, and I would rather carry more food or ammo than armour which as a Light Infantryman only slowed me down.

no way in hell I'd be going out on a "look see" around town all armored up - if it was that bad I wouldn't be venturing out >>> but responding to a neighborhood ruckus or to the local roadblock with armor would make all kinds of good sense and planning - but - it's one of those "tangent" prep items that comes into play when you are 100% ready with the absolute necessities ...

Plates would make sense for a REACT mission or ALAMO but 99% of the time they are not worth it. I have a set of ceramics but other than the two cases above, can not see packing that weight. Definitely not on AO patrols in SHTF.

Save you money for other things first would be my suggestion.

I've been looking into the steel used for armor plates. Compared to some knife steels I have used, AR550 is softer and not as tough. I keep wondering if you had a tougher, harder steel, if you could use a thinner plate.

I have AR500 and AR550 gongs. The AR550 gongs I have are 3/8" thick and will laugh at anything I can throw at them. They are rated for 338 Lapua @100 yards. (not all are)

I have steel that goes up to 700 on the Brinell chart (AR700) and is very tough.

I've been looking into the steel used for armor plates. Compared to some knife steels I have used, AR550 is softer and not as tough. I keep wondering if you had a tougher, harder steel, if you could use a thinner plate.

I have AR500 and AR550 gongs. The AR550 gongs I have are 3/8" thick and will laugh at anything I can throw at them. They are rated for 338 Lapua @100 yards. (not all are)

I have steel that goes up to 700 on the Brinell chart (AR700) and is very tough.

https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/content/Spartan-Armor-Systems-Product-Guide-WEB.pdf

what EVERYONE needs ABSOLUTELY - and it isn't that expensive $$$ >> some kind of head protection - with rioting & civil action there's can be more danger of thrown objects and blunt attack weapons than firearms ....

modern ballistic kevlar helmet would be great - but even a construction helmet would be better than a bare noggin ...
Exactly, safety helmets, cycling helmets, rock climbing helmets, light tactical helmets etc are a much better investment than body armour if funds are tight, along with the best goggles, shooting eye glasses you can afford

Not a big fan of lugging steel plate around all day especially in the summer where I am located. Soft Armor has limits but still adds to elevated core temps during physical activity. That decision is very personal due to need, availability, cost, and advantage.

Head gear: I work in an industry that requires head gear and i have seen first hand the benefits of using it properly. Now as to the proper type, that again depends as there are many choices available to the user.

I can agree on the safety glasses. Especially for prescription wearer, and I would suggest at least two pairs of them.
Make sure goggles fit over prescription eye-wear properly and have a set of back-ups.

Gloves are needed as well. Need more than one type of material depending on uses. Hands need protection just as much as eyes. A loss of even one puts you at a massive disadvantage.

For security--- 1) Firearms. 2) Ammo. 3) Thermal / Night vision. 4) Body Armor. I have just about finished the armory. I have a minimum of 500 rounds for each weapon. Once I have purchased the last couple of firearms, I will stat budgeting for group 3. I do plan for an Alamo situation, so I won't be carrying armor around. Home defense could occur during the night and I want to be able to see my opponents before they see me. The cost of decent Thermal / Night vision does tend to push the body armor back a bit. There is a limited budget for security, so I do prioritize my purchases. Groups 1 & 2 help my compete with the bad guys. Groups 3 & 4 hopefully will give me an advantage. Group 5 are the items that can only be implemented AFTER WROL. Armor rating is dependent on eh type of weapons you think you will be facing. Body armor is great but it will not stop every type of round. Level 3 & 4 will stop most rounds that people will likely encounter. For home defense, Plate with side panels. Not sure on back plates. Weight, cost and maneuverability. What are the opinions on the need for back plates?

Latest posts

Back