Do you have a MAG?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tornad0Alley

Reaction score
Tossing this one out there, but who has a Mutual Assistance Group? The wife and I are getting ready to move to Indiana real soon and the best news about that is we'll be close to a few more friends and family and some of those friends are open to the idea of prepping. Though I'm losing land and livestock, things are looking up in the area of having a small group of trusted folks near by for when needed.

I was just curious as to who here has a local group of trusted preppers. How long did it take you to form the group? Did it take a lot to resolve personality differences? Did you ever have to kick anybody out of your group? Do you take the stance that everybody is responsible for their own preps, or do you assign out tasks, like "Fred is responsible for all the food. Joe is responsible for all the water" and on and on.

Let me know what yall think and your experiences.

you need to divide the differences between a MAG and a prepper group - by some of your questions you are talking more "group" than MAG ....

a MAG is a loose association of mutual support and it's more of a matter of dis-association and a stoppage to cooperation than "kicking someone out" >>> there's going to be all kinds of MAGs formed after a SHTF initiation - just neighbors helping neighbors - no sharing of supplies necessarily - self-independent action/activities - ect ect

one of the "peacetime" prep activities of a prepper should be getting to know the neighbors/townfolk - analyze and categorize - know the people with the correct attitude and talents that could be useful >>> more importantly know the problem people ....

Last edited:
you need to divide the differences between a MAG and a prepper group - by some of your questions you are talking more "group" than MAG ....

a MAG is a loose association of mutual support and it's more of a matter of dis-association and a stoppage to cooperation than "kicking someone out" >>> there's going to be all kinds of MAGs formed after a SHTF initiation - just neighbors helping neighbors - no sharing of supplies necessarily - self-independent action/activities - ect ect

one of the "peacetime" prep activities of a prepper should be getting to know the neighbors/townfolk - analyze and categorize - know the people with the correct attitude and talents that could be useful >>> more importantly know the problem people ....

I suppose that's all a matter of how you define it. I wasn't trying to split hairs on semantics. I was just wanting to know advise on if folks here had a group, however you want to define it, and their experience being in a group. Sorry if I confused.

have one or two prepper friends and we could form some sort of MAG, but they are an hour or two away so not very local.

But not very local can be a good thing. We had an outbreak of tornados in our county about 3 years ago, and being able to drive to a safe place, such as another prepper's house, an hour away is a serious advantage. It would take you out of a danger zone or offer a safe haven to them should they find themselves in a danger zone.

I don't mean to dig up bad feelings but care to share how it soured? Personality differences? People moved away, etc...? Family can be a very good source of trusted prepper buds.

The members appeared to expect me to do everything and organise everything and mainly pay for everything, They seemed to also treat me like their personal researcher. Instead of googling questions they would keep asking me to provide the info. which was OK for a while but then I noticed if they wanted to go back to that subject ( EG Preserving fuel) they would start hasseling me to do all the searchs again. It was supposed to be MUTUAL support but it ended up with me propping them up. I just gave up on them there and then. Just too bloody lazy to do a bit of research for themselves. Now I stick to just extended family

The members appeared to expect me to do everything and organise everything and mainly pay for everything, They seemed to also treat me like their personal researcher. Instead of googling questions they would keep asking me to provide the info. which was OK for a while but then I noticed if they wanted to go back to that subject ( EG Preserving fuel) they would start hasseling me to do all the searchs again. It was supposed to be MUTUAL support but it ended up with me propping them up. I just gave up on them there and then. Just too bloody lazy to do a bit of research for themselves. Now I stick to just extended family

It is supposed to be mutual isnt' it? Yeah, that would suck and I can see why you pruned them out. Thank you for sharing, Bill.

Latest posts

Back