Do you even blade bro?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin, on my phone there is a button at the bottom that says "Upload a File"
When I click on that there is a button that says "Choose a File"
When I click on that, I am given the options "Camera" "Camcorder" and "Files"
I click on Files and see a list of photos on my phone.

I click on the photo I want - NOW Here is the rub: There is a maximum image size, and if the photo you selected is too large, then it just goes back to "Choose a File."

I never upload directly from the phone. I send it to imgur, and then post the link to imgur. That gets around the size limitation.

It doesn't seem to work. It says maximum 14.7 m, but my file 4.3 meg so it isn't too big. I don't know how to post a file to an album so I can imbed media.

The choose file window waits, and times out.

1521251163561423478885.jpg

This is my air force survival knife, one of my many ka-bars (a discontinued stainless steel one with Kraton grip), my dive knife, my buck special (note cocobolo grip), and my Fairbain-Skykes commando dagger...a little worse for wear because I tried sharpening it, but I'll use gun blue on it and bring it to a professional that I know.

Last edited:
Interesting that the article writer believes the "tanto" blade style is designed for piercing armor.

I brought home a "shrapnel vest" from the gulf. The old style layered Kevlar weighs-a-ton with shoulder armor vest. (shrapnel resistant, individual body armor, one each) and tried a few guns on it, and a bunch of knives.

The worst knife to stab through it? The cold steel recon tanto. No penetration. None. Break your wrist before it goes through.

The absolute best knife? Buck 110 folding hunter. Blew through it like it wasn't there. Stab Stab Stab easy and fast. Make sure you don't grip so hard you unlock blade! It's a real risk.

Applegate Fairbairn dagger - penetrate, but quickly slowed, it would go to the hilt, but took a full on blow to do it.

Unknown maker boot knife style dagger - just the tip. Not pointy enough to go in.

Cheap kitchen knife - broken, but penetrated.

"Uncle Henry" sharpfinger - right in. Not as nice as the buck 110 though, but not hard at all, and full penetration. Once it was even a bit dull though, just the tip.

The Buck 110 just ate it up. Didn't seem to dull it much either.

The cold steel Tanto felt like hitting the armor with a file, or a bar of flat stock. Jarring.

So what was I doing wrong?

The tanto tip (which few actual tantos have) is designed for maximum tip strength...for penetrating hard material without breaking. And yes it takes a good deal of force for the initial penetration.

My understanding is that a "tactical knife" is not really designed to be a fighting knife but rather a utility knife.

The clip point of the buck knife is specifically designed for penetrating tough but not hard material. It is prone to break on hard material (skull for example) but will penetrate ribs easily as they are not very hard.

Last edited:
As a paramedic, I've seen a lot of knife injuries. I worked in South Florida for over a decade, so I have opinions about this...especially (and please don't accuse me of racism) since there is a knife culture among latino people.

The latino knife culture seems to favor a stilletto-type blade or a bowie-style blade.

If the knife is shoved partway inside the body and then levered (like using a crowbar to pry up a rock), it seems to make a much worse wound than if the blade was pushed all the way in.

Many blade fighters seem to carry several moderately sized knives in different places as opposed to one big knife. In a knife fight, it seems a common theme to reach for an additional blade instead of scrambling for one that you dropped.

A common place to attack is the forehead. The scalp has a rich supply of blood vessels, and blood from a scalp wound will likely impair vision when in gets in the opponent's eyes...creating a reaction gap that gets ruthlessly exploited. Another interesting, high-priority target were the feet. If someone's feet are damaged, the rest is a cakewalk. I've transported a lot of people with their Achille's tendons cut.

A common theme in most of the knife fighting that went on in South Florida was the cocaine business. A lot of Colombians and Bolivians involved in the industry were related to Amazonian tribesmen, and knife fighting was a part of their culture.

This is part of why I tend to prefer a gun...although I do carry knives as well.

Interesting that the article writer believes the "tanto" blade style is designed for piercing armor.

I brought home a "shrapnel vest" from the gulf. The old style layered Kevlar weighs-a-ton with shoulder armor vest. (shrapnel resistant, individual body armor, one each) and tried a few guns on it, and a bunch of knives.

The worst knife to stab through it? The cold steel recon tanto. No penetration. None. Break your wrist before it goes through.

The absolute best knife? Buck 110 folding hunter. Blew through it like it wasn't there. Stab Stab Stab easy and fast. Make sure you don't grip so hard you unlock blade! It's a real risk.

Applegate Fairbairn dagger - penetrate, but quickly slowed, it would go to the hilt, but took a full on blow to do it.

Unknown maker boot knife style dagger - just the tip. Not pointy enough to go in.

Cheap kitchen knife - broken, but penetrated.

"Uncle Henry" sharpfinger - right in. Not as nice as the buck 110 though, but not hard at all, and full penetration. Once it was even a bit dull though, just the tip.

The Buck 110 just ate it up. Didn't seem to dull it much either.

The cold steel Tanto felt like hitting the armor with a file, or a bar of flat stock. Jarring.

So what was I doing wrong?

As to what you were doing wrong (if anything), check with Roninsensei...but my take on knife techniques (and people with better qualifications may disagree with me) is to hit with a blade like you would with a hand or fist.

If you've seen a karate-do style punch, for example, then use the same body mechanics...only substituting a blade for the fist.

A hammer strike with the fist? Add a knife. And so on.

Bear in mind that a sharpened ice pick will penetrate a Kevlar vest better than most knives, if that's your goal.

Also--a bit off the subject--you can be entitled to carry a sheath knife at all times if you convert (or appear to convert) to a Shihk. They carry a blade called a kirpan, and while it wouldn't be my first choice as a combat blade...it seems like a design that could be capable of inflicting horrible, fight-stopping wounds.

This religious angle may help you--in some circumstances--negotiate a way around the laws and politics of carrying a knife.

Squirt gunner your not crazy. It may well have been tough. I have also put a good tactical tanto right though a flak vest. How ever the recon tanto is a bad one to do it with. The Gi tanto would pierce much better. The Recon Tanto is more of a crowbar made for the military to abuse to pry open stuff and just beat up. The spine is too wide for easy stabbing penetration. It’s a good slasher which matches the force recon style of knife fighting. It also may not have been sharp enough. Idk I wasn’t there. I’ve had them penetrate fine and others get stuck because of the stupid paint job creates too much friction. Lol.

I will say I’ve never personally had the problem with that specific knife but, I also don’t know which model and so on and so on....

In the video they stab that knife through a flak vest. I’ve had similar results as the video but, who knows. I won’t discount your input. I’ll retest and see if I can get the same results.

The author and I agree on most things but, I don’t discount the tanto IF the
Person give a valid reason for such a knife design. Sadly most have no clue. I usually get “it’s just bad ###”.. SMH

As to what you were doing wrong (if anything), check with Roninsensei...but my take on knife techniques (and people with better qualifications may disagree with me) is to hit with a blade like you would with a hand or fist.

If you've seen a karate-do style punch, for example, then use the same body mechanics...only substituting a blade for the fist.

A hammer strike with the fist? Add a knife. And so on.

Bear in mind that a sharpened ice pick will penetrate a Kevlar vest better than most knives, if that's your goal.

Also--a bit off the subject--you can be entitled to carry a sheath knife at all times if you convert (or appear to convert) to a Shihk. They carry a blade called a kirpan, and while it wouldn't be my first choice as a combat blade...it seems like a design that could be capable of inflicting horrible, fight-stopping wounds.

This religious angle may help you--in some circumstances--negotiate a way around the laws and politics of carrying a knife.

I didn't really have a goal, lol. I just had access to a flak vest, some guns and knives , and beer. Nature took it's course. It wasn't very scientific. Also, this was many years ago.

I carry a Benchmade SOCP dagger, correctly when I am concealed carrying, incorrectly (in a custom calf rig) when I don't have a pistol and don't need to worry about retention. Some days I carry a Benchmade folder. It just depends on what I'm doing, where I am going, etc. But, those are my only two carry knives these days, I settled on them years ago, and now I don't even have any other carry knives. I'm kinda lame when it comes to knives.

i grew up in a time where every male- man and boy- had a pocket knife.

Bah, I always carried one in school. I simply wasn't dumb enough to show it around to anyone. Like you, it was simply a tool one always had. Always needed it from time to time. Still do.

Latest posts

Back