Do you carry? If so, how?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicknladee

Reaction score
I have my conceal/carry permit...when we travel I carry in states where my permit is allowed but my main reason for getting my permit was for my commute into the cities where I work...I was once approached by a street person who wanted money...he was even so bold as to OFFER to accompany me to an ATM...thankfully I was close to a building entrance where I KNEW there was a security guard...but that experience scared me enough to get the training to get my permit...but my employer doesn't allow guns on the premises...I work in a bank...go figure. So, to make a long story short I'm frustrated! Now with everything falling to pieces around us, I would like to carry my gun (legally) to and from work. I have a 50+ mile commute each way...should SHTF I'd like to have some sort of personal protection with me in case it hits while I'm at work and have to work my arse off to get home.

When we travel, the pistol sits in my front pocket but for everyday around home I haven't found a comfy carry method...

Have something built where you have it out of sight but within easy reach in your car. Unload it and practice reaching and pulling it without looking while driving somewhere safe. Being able to draw at a moments notice without taking your eyes off your surroundings could mean life or death.keeping your eyes on your surroundings might include noticing what you perceived as a threat isnt. Therefore no innocent people are hurt. As far as carrying at the house ive never had a holster that i would call comfortable. Maybe these law enforcement guys. Security guys. And military guys have tips. Theyve had to carry a lot of hours safely.

When I am driving it is usually in its holster wedged between my seat and the center. When I leave my car and can take it with me it is on my hip (open carry). When I used to have to conceal it was in my lower back.

I have the concealed carry tee shirts.
5-11 and Under-tech undercover brands. They are spandex tee's that are a tight fit. They have side pockets for gun and spare mags. They fit snug.
Very comfortable to wear.

I too have an employer who bans guns on the premises and a 100 mi. Round trip commute. I bought a lock box from Academy that holds my PPK/S and spare mag. The box has a cable that you loop around the seat frame and the cable secures into the box. It won't prevent theft completely, but it will slow them down.
When I didn't have the lockbox I would disassemble the gun and disburse the pieces throughout the vehicle. A spring here, the slide there, a mag here, and the frame wrapped in an old fast food bag on the floor.

Wait they can ban you from having the gun in your car while at work?!? That is completely illegal here in Oklahoma, no employer can tell you you cant have a gun in your car.

No they don't ban it in my car...it is banned from coming into the building (I work in a BANK) I travel by commuter bus +/-35 miles each way. I feel somewhat exposed and at risk should shtf while I'm at work! I would worry about leaving the gun in the car (theft/mischief).

5-11 and Under-tech undercover brands. They are spandex tee's that are a tight fit. They have side pockets for gun and spare mags. They fit snug.
Very comfortable to wear.
Wiredog, I'll have to check them out...if they fit snug that would be good...

In that back of my mind, I'd really like a purse/bag/item to wear attached to a belt. I don't carry a "PURSE" but I have a bag that I attach to my belt when I ride my motorcycle.Its great for my wallet, cellphone and other small misc...I'd like something like that. I may end up having to make something to fit my needs.

I'm still working on the permission side of bringing my gun into work...the one building doesn't have any posted signs so I might be good (just can't enter thru the bank part). So, now it is just if policy allows.

Did you find a good concealment holster? It's much more difficult for women as the clothing worn is usually lighter. But if you're wearing jeans at work, I'd recommend in inside the pants holster. Of course it depends on what you are carrying and if you are carrying extra mags. In the summer I carry a 380 inside the pants holster on my front waist right side. It can be covered by just a t-shirt. I throw a spare mag in my pocket. In the winter when Im wearing more clothing I opt for my larger 40 cal, I use an outside the pants holster and have a spare mag in the small of my back. Where ever you decide, its likely to be uncomfortable till you get used to it. But the important thing is, PRACTICE drawing it from the location. If not, in the SHTF scenario, you will likely not get it out in time.

Check out Flash Bang Holsters. It clips to your bra. It releases the gun easy. Just reach up your shirt and pull down. I'm a size A cup and no one can tell I'm carrying. I carry an LCP, however, which is a smaller gun.

I carry in a holster in a cargo pocket, with a piece of foam attached to the holster to keep it in place and prevent printing.
pocketholster.JPG

I have my conceal/carry permit...when we travel I carry in states where my permit is allowed but my main reason for getting my permit was for my commute into the cities where I work...I was once approached by a street person who wanted money...he was even so bold as to OFFER to accompany me to an ATM...thankfully I was close to a building entrance where I KNEW there was a security guard...but that experience scared me enough to get the training to get my permit...but my employer doesn't allow guns on the premises...I work in a bank...go figure. So, to make a long story short I'm frustrated! Now with everything falling to pieces around us, I would like to carry my gun (legally) to and from work. I have a 50+ mile commute each way...should SHTF I'd like to have some sort of personal protection with me in case it hits while I'm at work and have to work my arse off to get home.

When we travel, the pistol sits in my front pocket but for everyday around home I haven't found a comfy carry method...

Around the house you havent found a comfy carry method mainly because you don't carry it around the house. I carry my Taurus 40 in a holster inside the waist band ALL THE TIME after a while you will not notice it (sometimes my hip will hurt so I either shift the holster and/or when sitting watching the tube and it starts to bother me I keep it next to me. As for it being in your front pocket while driving that is a no no. try to get at it fast and w/o notice with your seat belt on and then you have to lift your butt off the seat tho get your hand into your pocket...maybe a ankle holster.

As for me why bother doing it legally anyway if it can't be seen no ones going to search your body. unless you look like they should.. besides would you rather break the law or be dead as they were in the movie theater in Colorado. Me I ignore the boss and the law but open carry is legal in ohio.

No they don't ban it in my car...it is banned from coming into the building (I work in a BANK) I travel by commuter bus +/-35 miles each way. I feel somewhat exposed and at risk should shtf while I'm at work! I would worry about leaving the gun in the car (theft/mischief).

So the answer is conceal carry everywhere that's why it's call concealed no one knows you have one..........

I have an inside the pants hop holster that took some getting used to. I also have a shoulder pack i carry. I dont carry a purse either. Attached to the shoulder strap by a carabiner, i have a small soft sided camera case that i carry ammo in speed loaders. I dont think anyone has a clue i am carrying. Hope this helps.

Great tips on how to carry - for my part either inside pants just a little forward of the hip or with braholster. Big question though - are you all ready to draw and shot? No point to carry if one is not prepard to shoot when drawing the gun - and I mean shooting when drawing as waving a gun around whithout using it gets you killed in an instant. So, now tell me how often you exersice - draw - shoot - draw - shoot - draw - shoot? Are you attending tactical shooting classes, are you exersising in the wild, on your farm or how do you keep fit in using your firearm?

For my part, I visit the shootingrange 4 times a year and have taken a few tactical shooting classes. Twice a year I go hunting (7mm rifle and 44 mag S&W revolver) and for self defence I carry a Glock 23 - 40S&W - its a great gun, much smaller than the Glock 19, very light, no hassel to draw and easy to shoot (no safety switch one could forget to release - safety build in into the trigger).

Do you have a locker for personal items at work? I think carrying some sort of purse, close to your body, and stashing it in your locker at work without telling anyone would be smart. With a purse, or bag of some sort, you could easily carry a few other good items, like mace, a couple mre's, etc. just things to help you get home if ever needed. I'm not a big fan of risking getting fired at work, but if I ever needed a gun in self defense Im not letting a company policy get me killed. I could always find a new job.

Do you have a locker for personal items at work? .
I am selfemployed, running my own company and that was (including travelling a lot) why I got my licence to own a gun for self defence in first place. That is why the gun is never in a locker - would be to late to get it out when I need it.

I am selfemployed, running my own company and that was (including travelling a lot) why I got my licence to own a gun for self defence in first place. That is why the gun is never in a locker - would be to late to get it out when I need it.
I was thinking it was a good compromise between you and the bank. At least you would have it while traveling alone, and while in the bank building you allready have some security. Most large banks have a security guard, and all have plenty of surveillance and lots of alarm buttons. Usually when a bank does have a robbery, the scum wants to get out as quickly as possible, so you're at least reasonably safe inside the building. I thought S.Africa was reasonably safe, but I think a woman traveling alone should have some form of self defense, no matter how safe you feel.

South Africa is a country which still has a long way to be called safe and it all depends in which area you live. Having a gun in SA requires the following - you either a criminal and possess an illegal gun or you are a law abiding resident / citizen and go through a lengthy licensing procedure.

First you have to attend some classes on gun laws and regulations, next you write a test once passed one can apply for the so called “competency certificate”.

Now you can go and buy a gun – but all you get is a purchase confirmation. This confirmation together with above competency certificate, written motivation and application form needs to be handed to the firearm officer of the local police station. A fee of 50US$ has to be paid and fingerprints will be taken. The firearms officer will inspect your home and determine if your gun safe fulfils standards (you have to have a gun safe in your home even if you apply for self defence and carry all the times). Once all is ok the firearm officer passes the application form together with his / her recommendation on to the centralized firearm registration department in Pretoria (capital city of South Africa). After about 8 weeks the licence card arrives at your local police station for collection. Only once you got this picture ID card you can go collect your fire arm and purchase ammunition (in the specific calibre of your fire arm only).

During the competency course they teach you to ALWAYS carry concealed, reason is that you become a target for criminals if you flash your gun in public and stories exist that people have been shoot from behind and robbed of their gun without ever knowing what happened.

Bet the bank allows you to carry a stun gun type weapon (or that at least it isn't specifically prohibited).

Not as good as a gun, but better than nothing, and your permit should extend to it.

Personally, I have one that is disguised as a cell phone. If in an area I feel threatened. I open carry it (looks like I have my phone). Someone gets to close, just do a quick little press of the button to give them the idea of backing off.

Latest posts

Back