Do preppers poo in the woods?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unfortunately, field sanitation is one of those things that goooooo right over the heads of sheeple >>> and it'll be quik to show it's ugly & dangerous head - I give it a week after the taps go dry before dysentery is running rampant - the even more dangerous diseases like typhoid will be following behind ....

you'll be experiencing the victims - even if you avoid the plague the dying will be showing up all contaminated - will make Covid look like a tame pussycat ....

As far as I can tell most people have no concept of basic sanitation. I see people "camping' in all sorts of wilderness areas. They are as animals, having no concept of where to leave their waste, only when. In a grid down situation the will only get away with this for a short time before disease begins to spread. A septic tank and drainfield is a heavy thing. It will be worth its weight in gold.

5 gallon bucket does the trick when in the tent camping. i even make cut outs from foam to sit on. just as comfy as home.
Rather than "cut outs from foam", I suggest getting one of those "noodles" for use in a pool, cut it down to size laterally, then cut a slit in it.
It can be stored in the bucket until needed, then mounted around the rim. The noodle also can hold a plastic bag in place, which can be used to dispose of the contents of the bucket. Best to put several plastic bags into the bucket before use, to make disposing more efficient.

People in Scotland are so polite. One of the most disgusting problems in the USA are people pooping everywhere. And they do it in the most remote areas. Of course we all have to do it but what is disgusting is the way they are doing it. I was brought up to dig a little hole, do your business, and bury it along with any toilet paper. But that is all gone. People just do it in the open and leave it there.

They have the opposite story, Snowflake, they say they can't stand the smell of a chemical toilet.

The first deer camp I belonged to had no electricity and no running water. There was a ladder back chair with a hole in the seat and a roll of TP on one side of the chair back. When you had to go you carried it out in the woods.
Manual water pump for water that had to be primed, gas space heater in the bunkhouse that we turned off when we went to bed (we cut cards to see who would have to get up and light it in the morning.)
Those were the days...LMAO...

Is there ever any discussions on using your own poop for compost because that's what I do. I hope I'm doing it correctly. I transfer each garbage can into an inverted 18" culvert on end, leave it for over a year, and then transfer it to an open flat tank and cover it again until usage required. It has lots of sawdust and ashes from the woodstove mixed into it. We do not take any prescriptions and all our food is grown by us organically, wild harvested protein, and wild foraging featuring all kinds of plants, berries and mushrooms. Our water is our own from 230' so I don't know what else to consider but that's our program thus far.

Is there ever any discussions on using your own poop for compost because that's what I do. I hope I'm doing it correctly. I transfer each garbage can into an inverted 18" culvert on end, leave it for over a year, and then transfer it to an open flat tank and cover it again until usage required. It has lots of sawdust and ashes from the woodstove mixed into it. We do not take any prescriptions and all our food is grown by us organically, wild harvested protein, and wild foraging featuring all kinds of plants, berries and mushrooms. Our water is our own from 230' so I don't know what else to consider but that's our program thus far.
I compost as well. We used to have a composting toilet, but crawling under the cabin to crank the handle and cleaning out the tray got a bit messy and, with more than occasional weekend use, the bad stuff isn't dying before it is time to clean it out. I now go in a bucket and compost in a pile, and that pile moves every year. In fact, that is very common in this area.

Since this is a prepping forum and many people here might find themselves in the awkward position of needing to do the same, I would like to try to set some minds at ease.

The most important part of composting is that you keep it covered with something like sawdust or leaves to keep the flies off it. Contrary to popular belief, open composting does not magically create cholera or other bacteria that causes epidemics. It takes someone with cholera pooping and that contaminated poop getting into the compost pile. Then, and only then, flies will spread that bacteria. There is e coli and other bacteria present that you do not want flies to spread, so keeping it covered is good practice regardless.

I used to rent a trailer on a friends farm. There was a holding tank, but being a farm, it was 100% legal to pump it out directly on the field uncovered as opposed to having a truck come and suck it out to do the same - so we did. We never had an issue, nobody ever got sick. One day I was taking a shortcut walking to a friends house and got an education on how septic pumping companies operate. They drive out into a field, open the valve, and drive. Tampons and unflushables were all over the field and nothing is even covered, and this perfectly legal for sewage pumping companies in certain areas if the field is a specific distance from population centers. Aside from protecting lakes and rivers from algae blooms, the septic system laws in my state make about as much sense as paying someone to take your garbage (that you cannot burn) just so that it can be burnt in their incinerator to produce electricity, which they then sell. Some bigger towns like Redwing MN burns all their trash, and the local garden stores sells bags of Milwaukee's poop as fertilizer (Milorganite). Mammals have been pooping on the ground for millions of years, it is an integral part of the planet's ecology. Depending on the composting method, human waste can be safe for gardening edibles after letting sit between 1 year and 7 years.

I don't pay per flush, and until I am too old to carry a bucket and run a garden hoe, I won't. All I have is blue clay, I need every ounce of dirt I can make!

Thanks for that reply. Some good ideas. I know what you mean about the disposal companies doing what they do, especially around "recyclables". I'll put some of your ideas in use now.

For most things, recycling is not cost effective. A lot of what you put in the blue bin ends up either in a landfill or an incinerator.
I'm not sure why most places don't recycle glass. It is actually very easy to recycle. I know because I once worked at a glass recycling plant unloading the glass off of boxcars. They ground it up, blew the ground up glass up through a furnace to round off the edges, then used it to make reflective highway paint.

I use to pass through an area with sod farms. They had beautiful grass fields right next to the interstate. The local city used to supply the fertilizer for the sod.
The back road with the gates to the farms would have signs- need sludge or no sludge today.
Think how that would twist a liberals head.

some bigger towns like Redwing MN burns all their trash, and the local garden stores sells bags of Milwaukee's poop as fertilizer (Milorganite).
Miloganite was one of the companies I represented. They sent me a hat and a video of their product. Composted, heat treated, I actually was impressed with the product and treatment. Not as much fertilizer value as other mixed products, but still valuable. I still have the hat.

I compost as well. We used to have a composting toilet, but crawling under the cabin to crank the handle and cleaning out the tray got a bit messy and, with more than occasional weekend use, the bad stuff isn't dying before it is time to clean it out. I now go in a bucket and compost in a pile, and that pile moves every year. In fact, that is very common in this area.

Since this is a prepping forum and many people here might find themselves in the awkward position of needing to do the same, I would like to try to set some minds at ease.

The most important part of composting is that you keep it covered with something like sawdust or leaves to keep the flies off it. Contrary to popular belief, open composting does not magically create cholera or other bacteria that causes epidemics. It takes someone with cholera pooping and that contaminated poop getting into the compost pile. Then, and only then, flies will spread that bacteria. There is e coli and other bacteria present that you do not want flies to spread, so keeping it covered is good practice regardless.

I used to rent a trailer on a friends farm. There was a holding tank, but being a farm, it was 100% legal to pump it out directly on the field uncovered as opposed to having a truck come and suck it out to do the same - so we did. We never had an issue, nobody ever got sick. One day I was taking a shortcut walking to a friends house and got an education on how septic pumping companies operate. They drive out into a field, open the valve, and drive. Tampons and unflushables were all over the field and nothing is even covered, and this perfectly legal for sewage pumping companies in certain areas if the field is a specific distance from population centers. Aside from protecting lakes and rivers from algae blooms, the septic system laws in my state make about as much sense as paying someone to take your garbage (that you cannot burn) just so that it can be burnt in their incinerator to produce electricity, which they then sell. Some bigger towns like Redwing MN burns all their trash, and the local garden stores sells bags of Milwaukee's poop as fertilizer (Milorganite). Mammals have been pooping on the ground for millions of years, it is an integral part of the planet's ecology. Depending on the composting method, human waste can be safe for gardening edibles after letting sit between 1 year and 7 years.

I don't pay per flush, and until I am too old to carry a bucket and run a garden hoe, I won't. All I have is blue clay, I need every ounce of dirt I can make!
When i was growing up a LOT of people still had OUTHOUSES!!!!

Latest posts

Back