diy MRE's

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beware of MREs long term.

In my Prepper research I discovered that Military MREs are not recommended for longer than 3 days
as they will block up your gut. Yes, I know they come with a laxative. I don't know about self- made ones.

Suggestion: Combine with cooked rice, regular noodles or other canned foods to maintain the plumbing.
I assume the problem stems from freeze dried foods.

In my Prepper research I discovered that Military MREs are not recommended for longer than 3 days
as they will block up your gut. I don't know about self made ones.

Suggestion: Combine with cooked rice, regular noodles or other canned foods to maintain the plumbing.

MRE's are all ready to eat. There high in sodium and preservatives. Definitely supplement them with other foods and don't eat them exclusively for more than a few days..

Freeze dried is not the same. Freeze-dried has been cooked, then dried of water and needs to be reconstituted with water.

Good Morning Proud Prepper.

We have a large fall-Back group that if need be will activate in a most secluded location.
Roaming, fires and some modest noise will not be a problem.

For two families in the group with cases of MREs weight and non-cooking will not be an issue.
That's where the advise was meant to be for, those in similar situations.

Instead of two people eating two MREs , share one with a can of mixed vegetables, beans or rice, etc.
Recall anything in a can is already fully cooked.

Also consider making a pot of rice or noodles and eating it over two days. I don't think it will go bad as quickly as meat will.
In survival one must be prepared to act differently.

For me, DIY MRE's are homemade meals that have been freezed dried and portioned out onto trays, then vacuum wrapped to store on the shelves.. You can also store them in mylar bags.
Have you freeze dried any raw eggs and powdered them, I’m thinking about trying it next week.

as they will block up your gut. Yes, I know they come with a laxative. I don't know about self- made ones.

NO SH*T (pun definitely intended 🤣). They are high in calories and added nutrients which is great to maintain energy levels short term, but severely lacking in natural nutrition and fiber which are essential to digestion and long term health (gut health and a variety of natural phytonutrients help to promote overall health and well-being). Freeze dried foods may or may not suffer with the same issues, depending on what they are. If they are freeze dried whole foods (veggies, fruits, whole grains, etc.) then you may be okay, though some nutrients will be destroyed in the preservation process. But a lot of freeze-dried foods readily available do lack fiber and nutrients (other than perhaps some added vitamins) so they will likely lead to the same problems.
This is why it's important for preppers to learn how to forage for natural foods as well as to grow a garden, and why we should keep a stash of vegetable and fruit seeds to get started after SHTF. We can't just be relying on eating MREs or typical freeze dried stuff for the rest of our lives even if we do save enough for that. (Well I guess that depends on how long we plan on living 😅.)

Latest posts

Back