Digital lock on safe

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The safe I bought has a digital keypad but in case that doesn’t work you can pull the keypad off and behind it there is a hole for a strange key which you get with the safe. The safes bass pro shops sells come with both digital keypad and physical key so you can use either.

I keep my watch collection in a digital one along with some cash for easy access but I would never keep stuff I need in one. As for PM's and bulk cash, most of that is better kept burred in the ground or in a similar secure place, and hide your safes, it's not that hard.

I might add. If you were to experience an EMP strong enough to destroy your lock, access to your safe would be the least of your worries. That would be game of for society, all the fuels, the foods, the grid and web, all of it, gone.

Last edited:
I agree that with an EMP access to the safe isn’t your main priority. I have a large gun safe with the electronic keypad and like it for a couple reasons. First off is the speed to access it. With a 5 code combination I can be in it in close to one second. If access to a gun is your primary reason for it then it’s much quicker than a combination dial. Mine does have a key backup as well, which is hidden in a separate location. As far as most home safes go, these things are not high security. They are fire safes mostly. My best advice is to have it as a diversion for a criminal to waste time on while your real valuables are stored somewhere else and hidden well.

As a retired IT director, I have a deep abiding mistrust of all things digital, LOL.
Tried and true mechanical locks for my safes, Thank You. That goes for anything digital in my guns too...
Now if they only made a non-digital mobile phone... :)
Call me a 21st Century Luddite...with caveats.

Latest posts

Back