Digital lock on safe

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elbeiruty

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a product similar to this: Amazon.com: SecuRam SafeLogic Xtreme (Black Chrome Finish) Safe Lock. EMP Proof - Electronic Button Entry, with Mechanical Backup. Backlit Keypad & Dial. Up to 3 Codes. Std Lock Mounting Platform.: Home Improvement

But for whatever reason it has dropped off the internet. I have a Cannon Executive series that holds my weapons and other documents. It only has a digital lock and cannon doesn't seem to sell a redundant lock by itself, only with their highest end models.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to protect my digital lock against an EMP attack but still have the safe be quick to access? Perhaps a redundant lock like the one linked above that I somehow missed while researching this?

I heard a simple tuna can over the keypad would do the job but I'm not sure how to make it a tight fit in case of an emp attack.

This whole rogue Chinese space debris and fallen satellites scare the heck out of me. They're perfect vehicles for emp attacks.

Thoughts?

that area around the lock mechanism is one of the EMP vulnerable spots on those safes - but covering it won't necessarily protect it - there are other areas including the entire door seam on many of them - there's also the usual factory holes for lagging down the safes ....

I wouldn't buy one without a key backup - have multiple keys spread around for redundancy >> and any possible responsible survivors having access to the contents .....

I have a large one, 700lbs empty. I consider it good for fire and theft protection. They are easy to get into with basic tools if you have time. If there is an EMP that disables the keypad, the safe wouldn't be much use as a safe anymore anyway, as you will probably not be leaving the house too often.

In a side rant:

In WA, and soon OR, all of your guns are supposed to be kept in a safe at ALL times. If someone kicks in your door, you are supposed to yell "time out!", or "red light!", while you run across the house, try to punch in your 6 digit code correctly, in one shot, under duress, crank the wheel, open the door, and retrieve a means of protection, then return to the bad guy where they are waiting for you to announce "green light".

I have a large one, 700lbs empty. I consider it good for fire and theft protection. They are easy to get into with basic tools if you have time. If there is an EMP that disables the keypad, the safe wouldn't be much use as a safe anymore anyway, as you will probably not be leaving the house too often.

In a side rant:

In WA, and soon OR, all of your guns are supposed to be kept in a safe at ALL times. If someone kicks in your door, you are supposed to yell "time out!" while you run across the house, try to punch in your 6 digit code correctly, in one shot, under duress, crank the wheel, open the door, and retrieve a means of protection, then return to the bad guy where they are waiting for you to announce "green light".

in the uber rare other areas of the world that even allow private ownership of firearms - not only is the safe required - they have an initial GOV inspection and then can make random un-announced inspections after that >>> ATF has similar for FED license owners and can see it coming down the tracks for all of us ....

I remember a few years ago a section of Canada was experiencing flooding - the guy owners emptied out their lower floor safes and moved them to the upper floors before bugging out >>> The Mounties went around kicking in the doors and confiscating those firearms - FOR SAFEKEEPING - then refused to return them with all kinds of hoop jumping and BS excuses ......

In a side rant:

In WA, and soon OR, all of your guns are supposed to be kept in a safe at ALL times. If someone kicks in your door, you are supposed to yell "time out!", or "red light!", while you run across the house, try to punch in your 6 digit code correctly, in one shot, under duress, crank the wheel, open the door, and retrieve a means of protection, then return to the bad guy where they are waiting for you to announce "green light".
I guess if I lived in a state like WA I would be breaking all there stupid unconstitutional laws.

in the uber rare other areas of the world that even allow private ownership of firearms - not only is the safe required - they have an initial GOV inspection and then can make random un-announced inspections after that ...

I remember a few years ago a section of Canada was experiencing flooding - the guy owners emptied out their lower floor safes and moved them to the upper floors before bugging out >>> The Mounties went around kicking in the doors and confiscating those firearms - FOR SAFEKEEPING - then refused to return them with all kinds of hoop jumping and BS excuses ......
I guess it would be open hunting season on Mounty's

I guess if I lived in a state like WA I would be breaking all there stupid unconstitutional laws.

Yeah, get a load of this! Initiative 1639 | Washington Gun Law

Many of the Sheriffs in Eastern WA said they will not uphold this BS. Several OR counties have already passed initiatives to join Idaho. I can't see how this country can keep going without secession of some type. 55 blue counties out of the 3200 in America decided the 2020 election. I can't see how those same 55 counties can tell the other 3150 how to live without some blowback. What a great time to be alive in US history.

Does anyone know for sure if an EMP will disable a digital safe? There would be lots of steel around that mechanism which might act like a Faraday Cage.

My Sheriff will not enforce anti-2A laws and many other Sheriffs in California will not do it either. In spite of terrible gun laws, only one person was ever charged. He had a standard 30 round mag. or an AR. His brother was a felon and lived in the house so California charged HIM with gun violations. The good news is the State of California lost that case.

Electronic & Digital Lock Negatives
  • Power and data cables fail on a regular basis.
  • Replacement batteries are often the cheapest available and do not last. They fail at inopportune times.
  • End users typically damage electronic keypads.
  • Water and chemical damage to the locks corrodes electronics and power connections.
  • End users often damage the bolt handles when the combination does not work — in contrast, they will often first retry a mechanical lock combination before proceeding to beat on the safe.
  • Electronic lock combinations are often something very simple (a recent 131313 combo comes to mind).
  • Users tend to change the combinations to something very, very, similar to the old combination.
  • With the current global political climate an electronic safe lock will prevent your access to critical items more assuredly than would be the case with a mechanical lock option.

There used for convienence. I would have them only if it also had a mechanical backup.

Does anyone know for sure if an EMP will disable a digital safe? There would be lots of steel around that mechanism which might act like a Faraday Cage.

My Sheriff will not enforce anti-2A laws and many other Sheriffs in California will not do it either. In spite of terrible gun laws, only one person was ever charged. He had a standard 30 round mag. or an AR. His brother was a felon and lived in the house so California charged HIM with gun violations. The good news is the State of California lost that case.

keypad is only plastic and the wiring from that goes to the inside latching mechanism - where there are wires running >> there are holes - takes only a pinhole for that EMP wavelength

I don't think they've made a keypad without a chip attached since the 1970s ....

from some of the reports the cocksuckers helped boat the home/gun owners away - then turned around and kicked in their doors to get the guns .....
They returned all the guns years later and paid restitution, well the tax payers paid. The tyrants in government never have consequences.

I can easily convert this one to a mechanical lock. But again my handgun is there and I'm just worried about fumbling through to get to a weapon if there's a break in.

In a side rant:

now how many people are really going to do that,,,, I can tell you now I wouldn't

Latest posts

Back