Diapers for Infants

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Top Poster
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
My Daughter recently ask me a question, "what are mothers to do for diapers when things go bad" I told her to put away diapers along with the rest of her prep stuff, she informed me it's not that easy and diapers are expensive, cloth and pampers, I ask her how many diapers are used in a year she didn't know? the question got me to think..

From pediatric health care alliance, 'on average 2788 diapers year are used' costing around $600+ that's a lot of money to add on top of normal prepping essentials, more realistic to put away a months worth and save as many old t-shirts in conjunction with using grass and or moss as our ancestors have done, this leads to another problem, sanitation, how to clean the cloth with limited water, you certainly don't want to use your drinking water or using the only creek around unless one ports the water from the creek that would not be close enough to contaminate the creek nor the vegetation that you and the animals would eat. In the old days they just hung the cloth in the sun or over the fire to dry, depending where they where at, they very seldom use water to clean the cloth because the grass and or moss would trap the number #2 thus the cloth only got wet. So perhaps saving t-shirts and bobby pins is in order?

Buy cloth diapers keep for rainy day. You can hang cloth diapers with out washing and let the sun dry them and most bad bacteria will die away. Then take granite dirt and rub the diapers down real good. Shake them out and reuse. This is good for a couple of uses then you have to give them a good washing. Learned this trick from a mother in Chad Africa. Water is supper rare where she was at.

did use cloth diapers and the "regular" ones when my kids were little, must say the cloth ones saved a big amount of money, strangely we kept them cloth ones despite no one uses 'em any more, and I must agree what my friends Roninsensei and QuietH3rt above me said.

some people in siberia still use grass and moss, it's natural as it can be

Last edited:
the cloth dish towels come to mind...they may cost less.be thiner and all.but might work..and as for clean water and all goes..that depends on a persons situation and all

Loved the cloth diapers since they are more cost efficient., never had the lack of water in that time though. And if by chance we had one that got a diaper rash, cow utter medicine ended up working best. Trust me, I tried the over the counter baby ointments and they just did not work on one of my boys.

My Daughter recently ask me a question, "what are mothers to do for diapers when things go bad" I told her to put away diapers along with the rest of her prep stuff, she informed me it's not that easy and diapers are expensive, cloth and pampers, I ask her how many diapers are used in a year she didn't know? the question got me to think..

From pediatric health care alliance, 'on average 2788 diapers year are used' costing around $600+ that's a lot of money to add on top of normal prepping essentials, more realistic to put away a months worth and save as many old t-shirts in conjunction with using grass and or moss as our ancestors have done, this leads to another problem, sanitation, how to clean the cloth with limited water, you certainly don't want to use your drinking water or using the only creek around unless one ports the water from the creek that would not be close enough to contaminate the creek nor the vegetation that you and the animals would eat. In the old days they just hung the cloth in the sun or over the fire to dry, depending where they where at, they very seldom use water to clean the cloth because the grass and or moss would trap the number #2 thus the cloth only got wet. So perhaps saving t-shirts and bobby pins is in order?

Maverick...great post...I have a two big packages of Pampers and about 30 cloth diapers stuck upstairs in the attic. My daddy day's are over, but thinking that when the kids have children, might be the rainy day fund. Never thought about how many diapers are used...think of the landfill space on that one in your communities...let alone at your BOL site...nothing worse than a "nasty nappy". I was one of those cotton diaper kids too, so know corn starch, baby powder, baby lotion, rash stuff are just as important as the baby shampoo, baby soap and those little snuggle towels...Thanks to Quiet on the A&D. I've got some stashed for my tattoo recovery...but forgot it has a use for kids...oh how time flies when you'd don't have to think about those sleepless nights. Well now, another one of those things I need to place on my prep checklist. Not to mention possibly a few cases of that Gerber Vanilla Pudding and Fruit jars...think I will make the peas from a blender.

Maverick...great post...I have a two big packages of Pampers and about 30 cloth diapers stuck upstairs in the attic. My daddy day's are over, but thinking that when the kids have children, might be the rainy day fund. Never thought about how many diapers are used...think of the landfill space on that one in your communities...let alone at your BOL site...nothing worse than a "nasty nappy". I was one of those cotton diaper kids too, so know corn starch, baby powder, baby lotion, rash stuff are just as important as the baby shampoo, baby soap and those little snuggle towels...Thanks to Quiet on the A&D. I've got some stashed for my tattoo recovery...but forgot it has a use for kids...oh how time flies when you'd don't have to think about those sleepless nights. Well now, another one of those things I need to place on my prep checklist. Not to mention possibly a few cases of that Gerber Vanilla Pudding and Fruit jars...think I will make the peas from a blender.
I never fed commercial baby foods to my children. I made it all at home in the blender.

Latest posts

Back