Diabetic--prepping when dealing with chronic illness

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in WI

Reaction score
One thing I've not been able to find info on is prepping when one is dealing with a specific illness. I'm dependant on insulin, need to be very careful with carbs.

I was diagnosed only about 5 years ago as a fully grown adult. Anyway, I had stored quite a bit of food up in mylar with oxygen absorbers. Good prepper food--pasta, white rice, etc. Most of this, today, I simply could not eat. It could literally kill me (although I've gotten engaged since then, so the food will not be wasted).

I found some backpacker info on diabetic foods but not really with a focus on long term storage.

Any other forum members who have sorted out how the heck you're going to eat?

Husband is a diabetic and watches the carbs, too. Some things I store that he can eat are canned meats, all kinds. Dehydrated and canned vegetables, and ditto with the fruits. Peanut butter, nuts. Beans are good protein and I know that they have some carb to them, but not too bad, really. Lentils, legumes.
Just cool it on the sugar, wheat, and rice. We do store black rice, which is fine for diabetics. Look it up! Quinoa also has good protein.

Husband is a diabetic and watches the carbs, too. Some things I store that he can eat are canned meats, all kinds. Dehydrated and canned vegetables, and ditto with the fruits. Peanut butter, nuts. Beans are good protein and I know that they have some carb to them, but not too bad, really. Lentils, legumes.
Just cool it on the sugar, wheat, and rice. We do store black rice, which is fine for diabetics. Look it up! Quinoa also has good protein.
Yes, beans are ok--they have carbs, but also a ton of fiber. So it doesn't spike your blood sugar. Quinoa is a great idea. I rotate a lot of canned tuna and other fish already. It's just that carbs are by far the cheapest thing to eat! Several buckets of rice and pasta, and you'd be set for a while.

you might want to pick thru a long running posting about diabetic prepping over at Survivalist Boards >>>>

https://www.survivalistboards.com/threads/1-2-3-home-made-insulin.33479/page-14

you might have to join and go thru the "front door" for access >>>
I will definitely check it out. I'm actually a chemist by training--and the thought of making my own insulin scares me. Of course, my career is in catalysts/metal particles and nothing synthetic or biological. Still, I'm smart enough to read and see how hard/feasible it would be

I will definitely check it out. I'm actually a chemist by training--and the thought of making my own insulin scares me. Of course, my career is in catalysts/metal particles and nothing synthetic or biological. Still, I'm smart enough to read and see how hard/feasible it would be

I've heard the same thing from other people in your profession - there's some sophisticated DIY articles around about the necessary lab equipment & supplies - there was group trying to get a non-profit insulin production route going that would have crippled the pharm corporations - haven't heard much lately ...

I get that carbs are cheap, but all carbs are not good for anybody. Buy some other canned meats like beef, hamburger, chicken, pork. You can use the meats sparingly over the rice

Along with storing that above items, you will be burning a lot more calories just trying to survive, day to day. With a very low carb diet and increased activity, you may not need insulin in the future. Just something to check out. NOTE: I have just been put on insulin. So I too am in the diabetic boat.

I am Hypoglycemic. Kinda opposite of Diabetic, but very similar. It’s the sugar level. My trigger is High Fructose Corn Syrup. Always have Glucose tabs near by, but I have learned how to trust my body to when I need them.
Diet is key to not needing meds Or glucose.
In my case, learning how I feel and when I start feeling woozy or off Has been key. I had struggled for over 20 years. Since my last catastrophic episode 8 years ago, I learned.
The wake up call came when I passed out with 300 paramedics that couldn’t treat me, cause they were out of county at a memorial service. They could tell my DVM wife how to treat me, but not touch me.
If I were you, do all the dietary things possible to control now.You will need less medical intervention in SHTF.
Hope this helps.

I recommend trying keto. It is possible to restore insulin function. In the last year i dropped my a1c frim 10.9 to 5.6 by eating low carb real food. No sugar. Nothing processed. A little cheating now and then. I also started storing 310 protein powder meal replacement shakes....along with shelf stable almond and coconut milk and adds in like chia seeds... hemp seeds...fiber...collagen..pb2 powder and multi vitamins. Hope this helps.

One thing I've not been able to find info on is prepping when one is dealing with a specific illness. I'm dependant on insulin, need to be very careful with carbs.

I was diagnosed only about 5 years ago as a fully grown adult. Anyway, I had stored quite a bit of food up in mylar with oxygen absorbers. Good prepper food--pasta, white rice, etc. Most of this, today, I simply could not eat. It could literally kill me (although I've gotten engaged since then, so the food will not be wasted).

I found some backpacker info on diabetic foods but not really with a focus on long term storage.

Are you type 1 or type 2 diabetic?
Most of the time when people say "insulin dependent" they are referring to type 1, which literally needs insulin to survive. In that case I would be learning how to make insulin. I think that before they had biologic insulin they got it from animals - maybe pigs iirc - so I might be looking into that. Of course you would also need to follow a strict diet to match with insulin use. This will be a very difficult condition to manage after SHTF, unfortunately.
If it's type 2 then a very strict and careful diet (LOW carb, NO processed carbs) may be able to control it. I would probably start working on manipulating my diet now, before SHTF, so I know how I could best manage the condition.

Look guys, I am old. This is the same kind of problem being discussed above but in a different set of clothes. What I am saying is I have maybe ten-or fifteen years left in favorable circumstance. This is going to be cut in a drastic way in a SHTF and I know it. The longer the SHTF and the deeper the problems the less chance for anyone who is not 100% going in. We should all realize this.

I will try to link to the actual beginning point of the video, but you might have to skip over the 20 second broadcast test pattern at the beginning. Not sure why they put that in the video 🤔

Overcoming type 1 diabetes without insulin.

So are you a type 1 or type 2? I am guessing a type 2 since you were diagnosed as an adult?

I am asking because there are different options for both.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back