Depression era recipes

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddcaliber

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Hoover stew was very popular in the Depression. Actually found a recipe for it. When time permit I just might have to whip up a pot of Hoover stew and see if it's good. Many people say its very good cheap and filling. Several other Depression era recipes are on the net as well. If the economy keeps going the way it's going this dish will be renamed Biden stew! LOL.

It's even worse with tomato gravy on it. That's popular.
Another gross one my cousin served last week. It was a white gravy with bits of asparagus in it. Not served on anything, just that.
Liver is cheap. Chicken neck.

I have a bit of a sad story. My wife and I grew up 2 miles apart so we both consider ourselves belonging to the same set of subcultures and socioeconomic community. Both our parents grew up in the Depression. My wife's mother came from a very large and poor family during those years and the depression was much harder on her, a child at the time, than my parents who were working adults. My wife always made sandwiches with one piece of lunch meat. My family always used two. I asked her about this and this was a vestige of the Depression in which her mother's family could only afford one slice of lunch meat and it was just an ingrained habit now.

war years food recipes are good for compiling for any possible food shortages - both WW1 & 2 had rationing and plenty of substituting came into play >>> especially in the UK

if you've never watched thru the BBC "Farm Series" - the WW2 wartime reenactment series is really interesting for the farming and general living thru those tentative years in England ....

Last edited:
Under Biden we may have a new depression that beats the old one, as crazy as that sounds. They are seriously talking about us eating bugs and are using more in our food now

Get ready to eat bugs! No, seriously…

Get ready to eat bugs! No, seriously… (msn.com)

With climate change and a booming population, humans may soon need an alternative food source.

A team of researchers argues that bugs — specifically the yellow mealworm — is the ideal candidate for commercial harvesting.

Mealworms are high in protein and could be used as an additive in various foods.

The world’s human population is booming and has been for some time. We already see the effects of food shortages in some less developed countries, but no nation is immune to the possibility of a mass food shortage. There are more mouths to feed every second of the day, and there’s only so much land to farm and animal life to exploit.

I have many many recipes from lots of folks I have met over the years and written down in a large folder.
Look for Bannock bread from Scotland, Indian fry bread, clarified butter, storing meat in crock pots, pemmican with dried fruits and making your own jerky, ( turkey jerky is low fat).
Take the time each spring to drill a 1/2 to 3/4 inch hole into a birch tree as it is blooming and sprouting leaves. A birch will pump up to 20 gallons (!!) of sap daily while sprouting leaves. Shove a small piece of hard plastic or aluminum pipe into the hole, hang a container of at least a gallon size under the pipe and get some real clean, lightly sweet, aromatic fresh water, cleaned by osmosis from the tree. You can refrigerate it for up to 3 days (if you don't drink if faster!) before it goes bad. A tap and pipe into your BOB or INCH bag is a good idea too.

If you have an overload of eggs, boil them and put them directly into the juice from pickles, olives, beets or other pickled food you have bought and eaten. I drop 4-5 boiled eggs into a pickle jar if it is still half full and they will get the pickle taste in about 4-5 weeks. The grandkids loved eating the pink eggs from sitting a month in red beet juice after we ate the beets. If you like anything in a vinegar type pickling, throw some boiled eggs into the juice. I take them fishing, camping or make potato salads with the spiced eggs. Throw a few jalapenos in with the eggs and get some spicy snacks too.
Sometimes we throw a few small onions into the juice instead of eggs for the flavor and use the onions to cook soups, stews or flavor in our other dinners and salads. Do not waste anything you buy, it is paid for and can be re-used very often. The empty and new jars for canning here are more expensive than the jars of food and foodstuffs in a jar with a metal lid when full of pickles, beets or corn and peas...re-use, re-cycle and save your money. Gary

Well, are you ready to eat those bugs?

May 4, 2021

EU Approves Sale of Mealworm for Human Consumption

Worm Cuisine Set to Hit Europe’s Dinner Tables as EU Gives Nod - Bloomberg

"Dried yellow mealworm can now be sold across the 27-nation bloc after a Monday decision from EU governments and a food safety assessment, the European Commission said on Tuesday.

EU officials suggest it could be used as a protein boost for cookies, pasta or baked goods, as they try to reassure fussy eaters that millions of people around the world already eat insects. It’s also a more environmentally friendly alternative to rearing cattle and other larger sources of protein. The market for edible insects is set to reach $4.6 billion by 2027, according to one report earlier this year."

Enjoy those cookes!

May 6, 2020

Calls for Regulatory Approval of Edible Insects
Calls for Regulatory Approval of Edible Insects | The Regulatory Review (theregreview.org)

"

The recent closures of major meat packing plants as a result of COVID-19 has restricted U.S. meat production while consumer demand is on the rise. In particular, the U.S. Department of Agriculture announced that between March and April, frozen pork in storage declined 4 percent and slaughter rates dropped 25 percent.

Although many news sources have commented that it is still too early to declare a food crisis, others have warned that U.S. food banks may have to begin rationing. Some economists predict that consumers will notice significantly fewer options for meat and protein beginning this month.

Because the coronavirus pandemic has directly impacted the agriculture sector and other sectors tied to food production, members of the edible insects industry have praised the promise of the European Union’s long-awaited authorization of the sale of certain edible insects, hoping that the EU’s expected ruling will “have a snowball effect."

I was reading some comments on a youtube channel I like and came across this one

" There was a guy that got out of prison about 5 years ago and started watching programs on the TV that he had not had a chance to see in prison. He made a very interesting observation. He said, "Ya know, I have come to the conclusion that 'they' want us to live in houses the size of closets and eat bugs." That is the difference between the slow indoctrination that we go through vs the sudden indoctrination a person goes through who just got back into the world after a time away from it. "

If only there was some type of pandemic, and a vaccine to finish the job the pandemic didn't do.... wait, what?

Last edited:
Most of the accounts I've seen have preppers investing lots of money in MREs, backpacking rations, canned goods, etc. in an effort to maintain the diet they are used to now. If an existential threat manifests, my goto rations are going to be dried beans and rice. They are cheap in bulk, last a long time, are easy to prepare, and most of all it's extremely easy to transport huge quantities.
Imagine that China cooks up a COVID25 that kills half its victims and incapacitates half of the other half. Then they launch a malware attack that shuts down fuel supplies to half the country during winter. As the bodies are piling up, half the country denies that the virus exists (sound familiar)? Every city becomes a death trap, so bugging in isn't an option. 1000lbs of canned goods is mostly water. 1000lbs of beans and rice is 1000lbs of nutrition.
For most of human history, people existed on a diet of grains and a little flesh.

Latest posts

Back