Depression era recipes

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've started making hardtack to add to my lts food stock. It may not be the most exciting thing to eat but you only need flour, water, & salt to make it and it will last indefinitely as long as it's not exposed to moisture. It doesn't even need to be stored in mylar like some other lts foods.

Attachments

• 20210219_172322.jpg
    20210219_172322.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
I actually don't think it's that bad. Not something I would eat on a normal basis but I certainly prefer it to going hungry. I've also never been very good at rotating my food preps so stuff like hardtack and rice that last pretty much indefinitely are a good choice for me to use as a staple in my lts food.

if you don't want to mess around making hardtack or survival crackers >>> matzah can be found at discounted ethnic food sections of your bigger store chains ....

1. Matzah Recipe | Allrecipes
    www.allrecipes.com › recipe › 213682
    • 5/5 (66)
    • Servings: 8
    • Category: Bread, Quick Bread Recipes
    • 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour for dusting
    • 1 cup all-purpose flour
    • ⅓ cup water, or more if needed
    • ½ teaspoon kosher salt, or as needed (Optional)

It may not be the most exciting thing to eat but you only need flour, water, & salt to make it
Not really true Ram619...you can add other spices to make it interesting. I add boullion, acorn flour, pollen from corn and cattails and such. Just make sure to bake it up to 3 times to get it really dry. With the boullion, you just add some hot water and let it all get soft enough to eat and it tastes like a small soup with chewy pieces in it...try different things, test eat and improve your storage preps with better tasting hardtack.

Not really true Ram619...you can add other spices to make it interesting. I add boullion, acorn flour, pollen from corn and cattails and such. Just make sure to bake it up to 3 times to get it really dry. With the boullion, you just add some hot water and let it all get soft enough to eat and it tastes like a small soup with chewy pieces in it...try different things, test eat and improve your storage preps with better tasting hardtack.

Not sure what part of what I said wasn't true? I'm aware you can add different ingredients to give them a little extra flavor. I was just saying that it can be made using only those ingredients as that is the original recipe.

I've made hardtack with added garlic, herbs, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, etc. to experiment with different tastes. You just have to make sure that whatever you add to it isn't going to affect it's lts. Some ingredients will dramatically reduce how long it can be stored for while others will not.

Not sure what part of what I said wasn't true?
My mistake Ram, thought you only had tried to make the only salt type of hardtack and had not yet tried other ways. Sorry. Glad you reported back in to me!
Done the pemmican thing also with nuts, berries and chocolate? I have some in the fridge that is 2 years old now and still good with chocolate. Cranberries, raisins, cashews and pecans are my favorites with pemmican. Live free, Gary

My mistake Ram, thought you only had tried to make the only salt type of hardtack and had not yet tried other ways. Sorry. Glad you reported back in to me!
Done the pemmican thing also with nuts, berries and chocolate? I have some in the fridge that is 2 years old now and still good with chocolate. Cranberries, raisins, cashews and pecans are my favorites with pemmican. Live free, Gary

No worries. I probably should have mentioned adding other things for people who may read this in the future.

I haven't made any pemmican yet but it is on my list and I do have a few recipes I'd like to try.

I haven't made any pemmican yet but it is on my list and I do have a few recipes I'd like to try.
Good for you. Start with your normal Beef Jerky and when you get the taste right for your needs, bake the jerky till it cracks and can be pulverised in a mixer and further workings. Don't forget to try some jerky with tequila, Jack Daniels or Jim Beam or you favorite to get some fun flavor in it...

just out today >>> "Trench cake" recipe

https://www.survivalsullivan.com/trench-cake-recipe/

The name Trench Cake doesn’t sound particularly appealing for a of fruit cake, but it got its name because it was eaten in the trenches during World War I.

Women at home had very little in the way of rations, and made do with what they had available in order to send a fruit cake for their husbands, sons, or boyfriends fighting on the various fronts.

Latest posts

Back