Dehydrators

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my bananas turned out a little chewy and extremely sweet. After a little further research it appears I didn't cut them thinly enough, and they were too ripe going in for what I wanted. I might try spraying lemon juice on them next time because I hear that helps with the crunch but I think if I use the right bananas, cut them small enough, and leave them in long enough, I'll get what I'm looking for with just plain old raw bananas. The blueberries need several hours still.

Though the bananas are not what I'd want to munch on as a snack, we are going to try baking with them. They are so sweet that they would make excellent banan bread, and I think peanut butter cookies with these banana chips on top would be an awesome treat as well.

Even with only mild success on our first attempt, I'm pretty excited about the whole dehydrating process, it seems to offer a lot of potential when it comes to food preps. We need a Food Saver to really maximize though; I'm not sure how long this stuff will keep if it's not vacuum sealed.
I absolutely love the food saver. The bags are pricey, but seal great. I use it mostly for stuff in the freezer, but I even sealed some boxes of ammo for long term storage. I don't know about bananas, but the lemon juice made the apple slices better, both in flavor and color. Have you tried jerked yet? So far that's my favorite with the dehydrator.

Haven't done jerky in it yet but I went on a spree at Cabela's last night and came away with a teriyaki jerky kit, my favorite! Going to try it next time I grocery shop and have some meat. And recommendation on the cut?

Haven't done jerky in it yet but I went on a spree at Cabela's last night and came away with a teriyaki jerky kit, my favorite! Going to try it next time I grocery shop and have some meat. And recommendation on the cut?
I like using brisket myself

I usually use whatever is on sale. Any of the cheaper cuts work great, I wouldn't want to waste sirloin or anything better on jerky. As I said too, veneson is my favorite way to eat it.

I make egg powder by dehydrating a dozen eggs on a fruit leather sheet. Scramble eggs and pour on dehydrator fruit sheet. Dehydrate for 16 hours. Break up and put through a food processor. Store in an air tight container. To use 1 heaping Tablespoons of egg powder plus 2 Tablespoons water = 1 egg in any recipe

How long does that keep?

How long does that keep?
Honestly, I am not sure how long it would keep. I tend to make it during peak season and use during the winter months for baking and not getting so many eggs. I would imagine at least a yeat or so

Latest posts

Back