DEHYDRATOR

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayjay

God Like
Reaction score
I just bought a dehydrator online. Are there any good online sites with recipes for fruit & meat?? Most summer fruits are inseason here, so they are in abundance. Also, any good recipes for venison jerky???

For those who already do so, what do you find as the best method of storing/packaging the food once dehydrated??

Jayjay, for most vegetables and fruits, I just slice and dehydrate as is. For potatoes, you want to blanche them first or they will turn black, still edible just black. Some people will vacuum seal the finished product in amounts for easy meal prep. I use zip loc bags, canning jars, pickle jars, just whatever I have handy. With some homemade jerky, it has to be kept refrigerated for long term storage. It never lasts that long around here. I'll look up the recipes I use here in a bit. The most important thing about making jerky out of any meat is to remove as much fat as you can for longer storage life.

I use like Jayjay with produce and jerky. I also dehydrate eggs. I scramble 10 eggs and pour into dehyrator that is lined with jelly roll. Dehydrate for 16 hours. Put into a food processor and grind into a power. Use 1 heaping Tablespoon to 2 Tablespoons water in any recipe. . .even makes "fluffy" scrambled eggs

I've just ordered a good dehydrator online, waiting for it to arrive. Big plans, hopefully, for this little beauty. Love the eggs idea!

My dehydrator just turned up a few days ago - had a few goes - apples & apricots nice, but need to be thinly sliced. Also dried a tin of corn kernals, but needs to be a good quality corn. Watermelon was a flop! Will try jerky next, then have a go at the eggs too.

Dehydrator arrived this morning! Very excited about the prospects! Maybe I should have got more than one..? Lol
Starting out with some kale chips, fresh thyme and cilantro from the the herb garden. Next on the agenda: MEAT!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
jerky will keep longer if you vacume seal them with a paper towle on end of vacume it acts as a moisture catch as they set stored

place a folded paper towle in then fill with jerky then another folded paper towle then vac and seal
and remember storing any food in clear packaging will spoil faster if not stored in darkness
its the uv light that spoils the food in clear packageing

Latest posts

Back