Dehydrated potato rounds

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The wife and I are dehydrating some potato rounds for our stores today as it’s raining and can’t do anything outside. I picked up 10 5#bags at sams and she wanted to dehydrate then for au gratin casserole dishes in the future, love them in the winter with a roast and some roasted veggies. I’m poking to store them in 1/2 gallon mason jars.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Last year I grew a whole lot of potatoes. They are a great survival food. It turns out however that all my hard work generated about $20.00 worth of spuds. I think I'll buying them at the store, and doing what Acdoctor does until shtf.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Last year I grew a whole lot of potatoes. They are a great survival food. It turns out however that all my hard work generated about $20.00 worth of spuds. I think I'll buying them at the store, and doing what Acdoctor does until shtf.
thats why I bought them at a big box store, very cheap per lbs , no limit, multi variety to choose from and can be made into potato flakes for mashed potatoes, hash browns or diced for easy storeage.

We are doing the same, I can get taters for only $0.30 per kilo. We buy a 30 kg bag and plant the first ones which start to sprout into barrels or buckets, the rest get blanched, salted and put in 2 liter canning jars for about 2 days warm then in the cool pantry where they last about a year. IF we don't eat them first...

It's hard to. The ones you buy in the store don't last forever and they were sprayed with some anti sprouting stuff. They'll last longer than home grown, but still not long enough to see you through. And don't use the store boughts for growing. I dehydrate rounds and grated (for hashbrowns).

It's hard to. The ones you buy in the store don't last forever and they were sprayed with some anti sprouting stuff. They'll last longer than home grown, but still not long enough to see you through. And don't use the store boughts for growing. I dehydrate rounds and grated (for hashbrowns).

I am going to do hash brown next to add a little variety. I did rounds this time.
I use a vacuum chamber to seal the 1/2 gallon jars.

Yep, I do the same. I have access to raw milk with cream to make my own butter, but I do store some ghee to go with the potatoes. Also store cheese powder for the potatoes. I can get it in quantity at the Amish Bulk Store, and the grandkids like everything better with milk and cheese. Like mac and cheese boxed. Also store the cans of nestle crema to make a table cream for the potatoes if I bake a casserole. Otherwise, they can just go in as is in a stew pot.
For the dehydrated shredded hashbrowns, I like to add dehydrated onion and bell pepper strips. I do my own.

Latest posts

Back