Defending against a wolf pack without a gun

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was under the general impression that wolves tend to leave people alone. I guess a flaming branch might work.

I was chased by a couple of coyotes when I was in my teens. Didn't have a weapon. Climbing a tree works. Works for hours and hours till they finally leave It sucks but was effective.

The issue is that anything that turns to run is food according to wolves. Stand your ground. Get up a tree is fine but, don't turn your back on them to run for a tree. Retreat facing them always. If your going somewhere that they are known to be, carry bear mace with you. A small can of pepper spray is useless. Bear spray shoots a cone of spray to about 35 feet. Its been very effective on mountain lions and coyotes out here.

This will sound horrendous but it saved my sister's hide. Can of Aqua Net hairspray and a lighter, she got cornered by feral dogs while she was coming home from a night at the movies and it was what she had in her purse.

The issue is that anything that turns to run is food according to wolves. Stand your ground. Get up a tree is fine but, don't turn your back on them to run for a tree. Retreat facing them always. If your going somewhere that they are known to be, carry bear mace with you. A small can of pepper spray is useless. Bear spray shoots a cone of spray to about 35 feet. Its been very effective on mountain lions and coyotes out here.
As an addendum. Making sure you're not spraying upwind is important too.

What has helped me in the past when I was attacked by dogs while riding my bike was ammonia. I put liquid ammonia in a spray bottle and as the dogs (or wolves, too) attack, you spray the air as they come toward you. They will stop, sneeze, and let you alone.

Good point Wild man. When I'm out riding, there's a rifle in the scabbard and I've also got a can of hornet spray in the gear bag tied the horn of my saddle. Usually the hornet spray deals with the dogs and keeps them a good 15-20 feet away and the horses are used to fly spray so the sound doesn't bother them. Now if I have to fire from the saddle, I can, the horse I generally ride can be shot from without having to dismount unless he's completely lost his shit. I've only seen him lose it that badly once and he was having a come to Jesus moment at the time.

I got a better question. Why go anywhere with out a firearm?;)
The law. Walking around with a gun can get you shot fast. You need a permit to move handguns up here, and that is to and from the range only.

Firearms permits are not defaultive up in Canada, you need to apply for them, and they can be denied. I was framed up for a simple assault in 2004, someone said I pushed them and they had other people also say I pushed them at that event, which gave me a criminal record, complete frame up and the one 'witness' corroborated the accuser, even though they lied. This was 9 years ago now and I've been eligible for pardon for years now but I won't even acknowledge it basically I hold the two people accountable for lying and in many ways causing a lot of problems in my life even though it was a summary equivalent to a misdemeanor, it has made me ineligible for some jobs and could very well play into denial of my posession license for a gun. None the less even though I have checked with the chief firearms office up here about my status and they have stated I have no weapons prohibitions, however, it doesn't mean that I will get access to even rifles not even considering the more restrictive restricted class such as handguns, ar15's etc.. which are for range only shooting. More or less police can deny access to firearms up here. also they do a background check which can involve interviewing neighbours. None the less people lie, and as above there is no guarantee of access to firearms, so having alternatives to firearms makes sense. Although I've done my firearm training I havn't shelved out the $60-80 non refundable application fee for the 5 year possession license, yet, which I may or may not get access to.

All it takes is one person to say something bad, and people have messed around with me in the past, including municipal staff parking (trespassing) on my property and being asked to leave, which required the police to be called out to have them leave. One of my neighbours, or a party guests anyway has also been trying to pick fights with me. While I have remained civil, people who will have input into my gun license, may not want me to have access to firearms because they want to be able to abuse me without having to worry about guns entering the mix.

the police show up yearly to my house, although I am not being arrested or anything, the government abuses me and so the government may not want me to have access to guns. I am not confident I will get my possession license, although I may, I will also probably be without a firearm until July or August even if my application is approved.

I'm the type of person to bring police out, although I do not resort to use of force myself other people or myself bring the police out, although many events may not be negative contacts, any sort of negative contact as deemed by the police can be grounds for denial of the permit. Although not resulting charges or custody situations, I may have a record and may be known to police when the firearms office and national police follow up on the background check, anything can be reason for denial. If I was using their records I probably wouldn't give me access to firearms, even though their records are filled with lies.

Other things like telling a cop to go catch someone speeding instead of questioning me and asking for ID while I was on my own property asking if I lived there, resulting in me walking back into my house and ingoring the officer after the comment... the little things add up. One of these officers could be the one to respond to the background investigation..
Or the time I was arrested at the court house during court hours, although the charges were dropped. Little things even though no fault to myself can present a barrier to the police giving me access to firearms cause I can appear non normative. Although I act within the law and my rights, that doesn't mean the government or justice system likes it, and they are the ones who get to decide if you can legally get a gun up here.

the assault may be read a "history of criminal violence", even though I didn't do what is on record for the event in question. Even though it was almost a decade ago. It was more than 5 years ago which seems to be the cutoff but I still don't feel sure, too many little things that could be a reason for denile.

Get some bear spray and until you can get that, get you some wasp and hornet spray, the kind that shoots up to 2o feet. It shoots a powerful stream and it burns like hell, you can get them square in the muzzle and face. It should do you until you get the bear spray.

With wolves, I honestly wouldn't even mess with ammonia. If they are aggressive enough to bother a human, then ammonia isn't going to stop them, it doesn't have enough burn or 'stick' to it. How many are in the group that are hanging around?

Have you ever thought about moving to the US? I've been to Canada I thought it was realy nice but I had no idea the laws were so opressive.

Have you ever thought about moving to the US? I've been to Canada I thought it was realy nice but I had no idea the laws were so opressive.
I'm banned from the US because I woke up a CBP officer at the ambassador bridge at like 3am. cause I took a left instead of a right in Windsor and drove back into the US by accident, after waking them up my first comments were, is this Canada? (this was after driving to just south of Veracruz state and back from Ontario through the US and back) I also lost my license plate light in mexico and got cited for not having it after almost getting arrested for being a vegetarian at the border and fleeing the scene... (joke at that part sort of.. more for me than the Texans I'm sure), Ohio, Illinois and Detroit also had some close calls. (just a note I did attempt to replace the bulb but the town I stopped in at didn't have anyone who could identify the correct bulb, and it may have been the weekend and I was in a hurry to get back to Canada..)

I'm thinking it will turn into a lifeban but I have a little over 2 years left on the ban. I think it was three years ago come may?

The official reason was that "I was trying to live and work in the US" which the time after the ambassador bridge it was you need $150 in cash for every day of your 30 day maximum stay on you before we let you in, your credit card doesn't count. This after I bought a sail boat and what trying to get to SF to inspect it and get its paper work in order, thus you are trying to live here, and collect welfare in California because Mexicans do it so so can Canadians. Or the you are trying to work here, while trying to carry out promotions for a company that had operations in both Canada and the US, and Canadians having default b1/b2 status by treaty. And then taken off the flight on way back from mexico and told I need a visa for transferring flights even though the time before that i was told I would have no problem travelling in the us in the future. and then the last time being denied entry while trying to catch either bus or plane after medical procedure in Tijuana on ground that I could be given entry to return on medical grounds yet they opted to hold me at san mateo for a month without charges or access to a judge, which resulted in the 5 year ban even though the flight guy said that they would hold me for two weeks next time, which resulted in like a month of detention in equivalent to federal prison with felons being deported to latin america and Russia and illegal immigrants the same including Somalia and other parts of Africa. None the less, I suspect I will not be getting the attorney general to lift my ban any time soon.

Of course both the live and work part is just plain false. 1. I bought a boat, I was not trying to live in the US, I had my source of income in Ontario Canada, and I could only be away for about a month before that was effected. Likewise 2. I made no net earnings from my activities promoting in the US and it was actual promotional activities which should have been covered under b1/b2 status. It was impossible for me as a male to get welfare in California as I believe only pregnant female Mexicans or people who have given birth to babies are eligible for welfare and under no means would I as a male Canadian be eligible for welfare in California, it was an impossibility. None the less upon being forced to stay at San Mateo without judicial access under threat of being kept twice as long if I see a judge, or longer, I was offered work in the detention center.... and it cost the US taxpayers apparently $200 a day to keep me there even though I offered to leave and pay for my way home which was my sole reason for being in the US that time as I had grant meetings to attend for business startup amongst other things back at home which I missed as a result of being held. (plus any medical costs for the clinic and medical appointments and drugs), and the flight home, it is absurd. None the less I highly doubt I will be in the US any time soon, short of abduction by US agents.

So have I thought about moving to the US, I was considering buying in Detroit or Baltimore years back like 2008 when prices were really low, but took a vacation to mexico instead. Not being able to reside and paper work made that a little too complex with property tax considerations, and keeping it as a second residence. So I've just traveled to latin america for holidays instead. Which is ok I like latin america. US costs way more than latin america regardless. Such as not being able to shop there or take land travel, or small vacations to the south, but I can live without it. Imo its just the US loosing tourist income, and getting me to buy more from China rather than stateside, its your gov as far as I'm concerned. The big thing is not being able to use US airlines, but I can still get almost equivalent non stop flights I just need to shop around more and I maybe pay $50 more or less which isn't that bad for a non stop rather than a connecting flight hassle. I think its stupid I need to apply for a visa to travel in the US and now get a waiver. CBP isn't worth the hassle as far as I'm concerned. Even with a visa which the US consulate says I shouldn't need for travel due to b1/b2 status, the closest visa offered is way overkill for travelling in the US for short duration. The added cost makes other destinations better for cost. The waiver is an application fee with no guarentee of approval and it is way overpriced for the consideration. It is totally negligible to pay more for flight costs upfront than risk the waiver and have to pay anyway.

Now don't get me wrong I like the US traveled in there as a kid and as an adult a few times, and have lived and traveled with Americans, none the less the US is a lot like Canada, tends to have better weather, but there is basically no chance of me moving to the US in the next few years. I've already committed to paying for no visas or waivers out of pocket, which mostly kills any travel potential to the US I would suspect for life. Latin America has nice weather too.

If I were a "Real illegal alien" I just go to the US through the rather porous border, which would present little issue in crossing. But I've always crossed at legal border point. yada yada. I'm not paying to cross the border when there is a treaty saying I can.

None the less I am hedging on a life ban, so yes i have thought about buying property in the US but I have never considered ending my ties to the north where I draw my income from, where my house and other property is located, and where my family is. When all is said and done, I'm all about expanding my options not burning bridges. I find the US to be too difficult to deal with administratively, its all what we think not what is actually the case. Their position is simply absurd on what type of scenario they create, that doesn't even come close to reflect what the situation actual is. Its not worth the hassle.

I'm actually a little sour about the whole thing and the chunk of cartilage scrapped off my elbow by a hook in the holding cell at San Mateo that serves as a remind of the hole thing, it is still painful on contact but after a few years has healed a little, the loose lump is still there but after a few years it seems to have dissolved a bit and the amount of pain has subsided. I'm actually quite happy up in Canada, for the warmer months, and its an excuse to travel in the colder months. I wouldn't think twice about getting something in the south if the red tape wasn't there. Way better growing area. I'm considering latin america but you need to set up a business down there. Sadly I suffered about a $15000 loss due to theft in January in mexico which pretty much cleaned me out, and I'm not even sure if I'll be able to travel this winter. I think it is possible but I'll have to see where I'm at come November, or December. Heating costs basically negate flight costs.

You'd have to pay me to return to the US. Considering the potential 10 year jail term for doing so, It would be a whole lot of money. Just the paper work along would probably run $500 the whole deal on both sides of the border would probably run closer to $1000 and take about a year, or longer. All in all, I am probably more likely to be travelling in Latin America or South America this winter and subsequent years. Now that I have had issues in Mexico, including a passport issue last time that almost got me returned to Canada, it is way safer for me to travel to latin america or other locations. Way too many little problems.

So long story short, not an option in the near term. Few years, 5 10 years from now who knows. I don't suspect a windfall anytime soon though so it is highly unlikely.

The US has been as oppressive as Canada, as a foreign alien, I don't think I'd be able to buy guns in the US either, unless I am mistaken, perhaps it differs by the state down there. One guy in San Mateo who had lived in the US as an illegal for years said Arizona lets them fire all sorts of machine guns etc.. legally. Apparently Arizona has pretty open gun laws even for non citizens. US didn't provide due process though imo, CBP/DHS basically operates outside US law, acting as judge jury and ejector. You can see a judge but you'll be detained atleast twice as long, your month long stay will turn into a 4 month stay if you challenge it... etc.. that is an abusive system that really isn't any more lax, than Canada. Spending months in jail for trying to go home is not less oppressive.

I'm sure you have experienced a different US government than I have, one that provides liberties rather than quashing them. I'm guessing it is through the side I see that many of your liberties stem. I'm not whole about it, and I have no faith in the US government to provide liberty or freedom, even less so than Canadian governments.

Too bad your not a Mexican drug dealer thoes guys come and go at will...all I can tell you is I will always carry a firearm legal or not no government will take away my God given right to defend myself and my family. Good luck, hope you get what you need.

Ammonia will affect a wolf if you spray him in the eyes...but who wants to wait and do that? I know a fire arm would be better but here where I live you would be arrested for carrying a gun on a bike.

It is funny though that the students I have tutored English from Iran, China and the Middle East have traveled to the US with no difficulty.

Too bad your not a Mexican drug dealer thoes guys come and go at will...all I can tell you is I will always carry a firearm legal or not no government will take away my God given right to defend myself and my family. Good luck, hope you get what you need.
Yeah hopefully, even Americans down there are drug dealers. But I have to say that I know of atleast two supposed drug dealers one taking a carload of pot over and the other told to lie by Americans who wanted to party with him in California were both detained... (I suspect one may have been a government agent though very American, he spoke suburbian ebonics.... Lots of em were super American because they lived there all their lives, but I dunno) although no idea what happened to them, maybe they were kept...? Plenty of Mexicans in San Mateo but most are just laborers. It seems most get 'returned' from the point they are taken in, generally only people arrested in the US get sent to San Mateo, most have a run in with the law which ends up complicating their legal status, as opposed to getting caught in the US by immigration, only exception was one coyotte. Lots of facilities though, there are actually apparently a lot of people from around the world that get busted as illegals not all from Mexico, although they are the majority. I've met plenty of people that worked in the US and didn't get caught also in Mexico, but I've met plenty of Americans working illegally in Mexico too including drug dealers.. it goes both ways. I even had $450 taken from me by an American last time I was in Mexico by fraud. Lots of criminals from both countries on both sides of the border. I could make a gun if I needed to but I try to keep Koshure with the law if it isn't an emergency.

Latest posts

Back