Defending against a wolf pack without a gun

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't open carry artbylorraine? I didn't know that was illegal in Nevada. I didn't mean to imply that ammonia was a bad idea, I just hadn't come across a spray bottle that would shoot as far as a can of hornet spray yet. If you have one that does, let me know what kind it is.

Hi,

I'm just wondering how to go about defending against wolves without a firearm. Anything work?

This is a question I can answer from personal experience. You can't defend yourself with out a gun if they decide to eat you, you are absolutely the slowest and weakest animal in the forest. Luckily for us humans most predators don't have a taste for us and they don't know how slow weak and pathetic we are compared to them. If you don't act like prey they will not attack (the exception might be rabid animals). If you come across a large predator DO NOT RUN!!!!!! running triggers a predatory response and they will chase you. Look at them so they know you are watching them and move casually away, DO NOT try to bluff charge them and scare them off as this can trigger fight or flight response and if you get the fight response on the coin toss your hosed without a gun. I have encountered large brown bears, black bears,lynx, wolves and once I was face to face with a pack of 15 wolves. Everything I just listed moved in the other direction as soon as it was aware of me except the wolf pack. I stopped my snowmachine to take a piss, I was waaaaaay out in the toolies , cloudy and warm night. When I shut the machine off it was pitch black, while peeing I could hear animals walking on the snow about 30 ft away from me, thought it might be a moose. I hurried up with my business,zipped up and hopped back on the machine and listened for anymore noise, couldn't hear anything but the wind, so I fired the sled back up and when the light came on had over a dozen pair of eyes reflected back at me from about 25 ft. I just sat there and watched them watch me then they got up and trotted back into the trees. The whole experience was freaky cool scary. The thing to remember is try to not act like food and they will probably leave you alone.

People walk around with guns up here as it is a big shooting area gun shots go off every once and a while its all woods up here, lots of duck hunting. People tend to keep their guns in their cases/shoulder bags, though walking to and from the woods/shooting area. I figure I'll apply best to get the application sent its $60 either way. This way I should know by June or so. Mostly shotguns and some rifles at the shooting area. This is country, I'm not from the country but I've seen enough bears and moose now, and a wolf that I am looking to learn to shoot and hit things if needed. Cross bow will prboably be enough for anything but a pack of wolves. I don't like sprays, I don't trust them, especially with bear, apparently it doesn't always work and when it doesn't the bear gets pissed off. You can't buy pepper spray up here but you can buy bear spray, which is basically pepper spray in a large can.
I don't trust sprays for dealing with a pack of wolves, since i don't want to get spray on me while wolves are attack. I'll look more into the ammonia stuff, perhaps I can just carry around a bottle of piss, as of now I don't trust it since dogs smell piss all the time. Also apparently this thread is the highest ranked on google for ammonia spray wolf pack. Has me skeptical.

This is a question I can answer from personal experience. You can't defend yourself with out a gun if they decide to eat you, you are absolutely the slowest and weakest animal in the forest. Luckily for us humans most predators don't have a taste for us and they don't know how slow weak and pathetic we are compared to them. If you don't act like prey they will not attack (the exception might be rabid animals). If you come across a large predator DO NOT RUN!!!!!! running triggers a predatory response and they will chase you. Look at them so they know you are watching them and move casually away, DO NOT try to bluff charge them and scare them off as this can trigger fight or flight response and if you get the fight response on the coin toss your hosed without a gun. I have encountered large brown bears, black bears,lynx, wolves and once I was face to face with a pack of 15 wolves. Everything I just listed moved in the other direction as soon as it was aware of me except the wolf pack. I stopped my snowmachine to take a piss, I was waaaaaay out in the toolies , cloudy and warm night. When I shut the machine off it was pitch black, while peeing I could hear animals walking on the snow about 30 ft away from me, thought it might be a moose. I hurried up with my business,zipped up and hopped back on the machine and listened for anymore noise, couldn't hear anything but the wind, so I fired the sled back up and when the light came on had over a dozen pair of eyes reflected back at me from about 25 ft. I just sat there and watched them watch me then they got up and trotted back into the trees. The whole experience was freaky cool scary. The thing to remember is try to not act like food and they will probably leave you alone.
Wow! You are in a place where wolves naturally live..I can see why you would carry a gun at all times. Here, we get coyotes and most of the time, unless they are in packs, they are not very dangerous.

People walk around with guns up here as it is a big shooting area gun shots go off every once and a while its all woods up here, lots of duck hunting. People tend to keep their guns in their cases/shoulder bags, though walking to and from the woods/shooting area. I figure I'll apply best to get the application sent its $60 either way. This way I should know by June or so. Mostly shotguns and some rifles at the shooting area. This is country, I'm not from the country but I've seen enough bears and moose now, and a wolf that I am looking to learn to shoot and hit things if needed. Cross bow will prboably be enough for anything but a pack of wolves. I don't like sprays, I don't trust them, especially with bear, apparently it doesn't always work and when it doesn't the bear gets pissed off. You can't buy pepper spray up here but you can buy bear spray, which is basically pepper spray in a large can.
I don't trust sprays for dealing with a pack of wolves, since i don't want to get spray on me while wolves are attack. I'll look more into the ammonia stuff, perhaps I can just carry around a bottle of piss, as of now I don't trust it since dogs smell piss all the time. Also apparently this thread is the highest ranked on google for ammonia spray wolf pack. Has me skeptical.
Hi, I have tried bear spray and I know it works, except when the canister loses its power to spray. I then threw it at a dog that was charging me and got away...it wouldn't have worked with wolves though.

You can't open carry artbylorraine? I didn't know that was illegal in Nevada. I didn't mean to imply that ammonia was a bad idea, I just hadn't come across a spray bottle that would shoot as far as a can of hornet spray yet. If you have one that does, let me know what kind it is.
No, you can't carry a gun unless you get a permit. If you are on a bicycle and someone sees your gun they will call the police. It isn't practical for us to carry them because of all the problems associated with them. But if I were in a place that had wolves, believe me, legal or not, I could carry a gun.

There are a lot of good suggestions here. But I'd have to question the wisdom of traveling in wolf country, which is usually bear country too, without a firearm. In Alaska I always carried a S&W 500. Some guys preferred to carry a short barreled 12 gauge or a Marlin 45-70.

My husband, Jim, just bought a pistol that is called "The Judge" that shoots 45 bullets or 410 shot gun ammo. I am jazzed by it. Trouble is, most of the shops around here are either out of hand gun and 22 mm. ammo. I think it is a conspiracy that if they can't take our weapons away, they won't let us buy the ammo. They limited him on the amount that he did buy and said they had no idea when they would receive more. Some of the stores said they had been out for ten days and had no idea if they would be able to get more...Something is wrong with this picture...

There are a lot of good suggestions here. But I'd have to question the wisdom of traveling in wolf country, which is usually bear country too, without a firearm. In Alaska I always carried a S&W 500. Some guys preferred to carry a short barreled 12 gauge or a Marlin 45-70.
I dont have my possession and acquisition license yet, and it isn't guarenteed, I'm definitely hiking this summer though. Just looking for alternatives in event that the PAL doesn't get approved. I think Id have a chance with my machette.

I needed to deal with a wild dog pack on the outskirts of playa del carmen none the less wolves because of their numbers are the one animal that is issued because it is a pack rather than one animal that might be dispatched at close range with a high test crossbow.

I only saw one lone wolf last year... it was friendly and kept its distance but where there is one I fear there may be many.

I dont have my possession and acquisition license yet, and it isn't guarenteed, I'm definitely hiking this summer though. Just looking for alternatives in event that the PAL doesn't get approved. I think Id have a chance with my machette.

I needed to deal with a wild dog pack on the outskirts of playa del carmen none the less wolves because of their numbers are the one animal that is issued because it is a pack rather than one animal that might be dispatched at close range with a high test crossbow.

I only saw one lone wolf last year... it was friendly and kept its distance but where there is one I fear there may be many.

I see, your in Canada. Then the handgun is out of the question. Are you allowed to carry a shotgun, or a rifle? A 12 ga loaded with 00 buck is a very good wolf determent.

My husband, Jim, just bought a pistol that is called "The Judge" that shoots 45 bullets or 410 shot gun ammo. I am jazzed by it. Trouble is, most of the shops around here are either out of hand gun and 22 mm. ammo. I think it is a conspiracy that if they can't take our weapons away, they won't let us buy the ammo. They limited him on the amount that he did buy and said they had no idea when they would receive more. Some of the stores said they had been out for ten days and had no idea if they would be able to get more...Something is wrong with this picture...

The Judge is my next purchase. You shouldn't have any trouble locating .410 ammo, yet. Buy all you can find, when you can find it, and consider reloading too. I've been stocking up on ammo and reloading components ever since obama was elected the first time. Most handgun and rifle ammo is almost impossible to find now, and those that do have are taking advantage of the situation and are gouging people with their price. I went to a gun show a few weeks ago and bricks (500 rds) of .22 ammo were going for $65! One brick still had the origional tag marked at $6.99 crossed out and $65 written over it. To me this is disgraceful to take advantage of a bad situation like this.

My firearm of choice when I am not actually hunting anything but just playing around in the woods is a folding stock pistol grip 12 gauge. I load it with alternating buckshot and slugs the theory behind this is more for bear encounters than wolves, I got it from an old timer. I have never had to use it but the premise of the thinking is that in an actual animal attack your going to be so shook up that you may not have the best shooting form. The buckshot gives you a chance to get a piece of the animal and the slug delivers enough kinetic energy to sit even a bear down. While I am touching on this I would point out that you should worry more about bears or big cats than wolves. I am not romanticizing wolves at all but I have only ever heard of one human attack in Alaska and that was on a jogger and she probably got it because she was running(acting like food). In fact up here you are more likely to be stomped and killed by a stupid moose than be attacked by a predator.

Latest posts

Back