Daily Medications

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alabaster

1st Member Of DPF
Reaction score
Hey, yall. I have recently begun to think of ways to get/maintain meds that I take on a daily basis. I have to take Metformin for diabetes, Lisinopril for HBP, Methotrexate for arthritis, etc. These meds are daily or weekly at best. I have been losing a lot of weight and trying to get healthy overall. All of these meds are not something I can just order extra of and keep some on hand. I'm trying to see if I can get a sensible way to stockpile them without missing doses. Of course some are more important than others, but non of them should be neglected. I imagine I'm not the only one with this concern. Have any of you come up with any ideas/solutions to this problem?

Hey, yall. I have recently begun to think of ways to get/maintain meds that I take on a daily basis. I have to take Metformin for diabetes, Lisinopril for HBP, Methotrexate for arthritis, etc. These meds are daily or weekly at best. I have been losing a lot of weight and trying to get healthy overall. All of these meds are not something I can just order extra of and keep some on hand. I'm trying to see if I can get a sensible way to stockpile them without missing doses. Of course some are more important than others, but non of them should be neglected. I imagine I'm not the only one with this concern. Have any of you come up with any ideas/solutions to this problem?
I feel your pain on this. i too take metformin plus a couple others for Type II, and a couple for hypertension. I too have been wondering how I will get my hands on these items if I can not figure a way to keep a good current stash. I know if everything takes a header the looting of pharmacies will be almost instant. Trying to keep a decent stock will be problematic due to drugs expiring. I have thought about the skipping doses to save, but I fear the thought of amputation, diabetic coma, heart attack, stroke, etc.

I am quite familiar with Methotrexate. My step-daughter was on it when she was being treated for leukemia.

i looked up metformin and lisinopril in its basic forms (i like to study, and like to know how to make things) but ud really need a science lab to make these however, i found a site called canada pharmacy online, that has them both although neither one is cheap, nor do i know if they ship to the usa, but its something to look into.

i looked up metformin and lisinopril in its basic forms (i like to study, and like to know how to make things) but ud really need a science lab to make these however, i found a site called canada pharmacy online, that has them both although neither one is cheap, nor do i know if they ship to the usa, but its something to look into.
I could also drive 2.5 hours south and see what the Mexican pharmacies have in Tijuana. Though those drugs might be a bit risky to say the least.

what i said had name brands where as mexico you may get flavored water, either way though its a gamble i guess, but i dont see a doctor given scripts for extra meds to people most others think as finatics lol

what i said had name brands where as mexico you may get flavored water, either way though its a gamble i guess, but i dont see a doctor given scripts for extra meds to people most others think as finatics lol
true! God knows what will be dispensed in Mexico... I am quite sure Canada would be a safer bet.

Unfortunately, if the shtf all at once I guess me and a bullet launcher would be paying CVS, Rite Aid, or Walgreen's a visit.... Hopefully it won't come to that

I would talk to my doctor, I get 3 month supply's at a time. Also tell them you lost your meds in a fire or something, they don't care. Then just rotate your supply. If shtf for long term i guess we will all have to do what needs to be done to stay healthy.

I would talk to my doctor, I get 3 month supply's at a time. Also tell them you lost your meds in a fire or something, they don't care. Then just rotate your supply. If shtf for long term i guess we will all have to do what needs to be done to stay healthy.
I too get my meds 3 months at a time, and the interval that they send them is creating a nice cushion for me.

I feel for all of you. These are meds that need an Rx and usually controled. I take heart meds, blood pressure meds, well my list is two pages long. You still need an Rx but Canada would be the best bet.

That's a problem my wife would encounter as she needs meds for;
Type II Diabetes
Cholesterol
High blood pressure
Arthritis/Sciatiaca
And many more.
Stockpiling would be a problem as our Doctors wouldnt give more than a months at a time.

I am new at this site. I know you posted quite awhile ago, but wanted to add my thoughts. I am a retired nurse. My husband and I both take meds that we need daily. Between the insurance companies and doctors afraid of the government you have to sorta have a game plan to take care of you and your family. In my case, we get our meds for 90 days thru the mail. We do have a small copay. It is possible to save back a few pills by ordering the next prescription a few days early.
However, this year when we went to see our doctor for our annual visit, he gave us our normal prescriptions like always. I then asked if he would give me extra prescriptions for all of our drugs. Of course, he wanted to know why. I DID NOT SAY THE WORD 'PREPPER.' I saw no reason to get that subject on the table unless it was necessary. Often people either laugh or just think you're nuts.
I told him that I was concerned about having enough medicines, in case, there was some sort of problem like Hurricane Katrina, reminding him that people were left without medicine, couldn't find their doctors, their medical records were under 8 feet of flood water, and even finding a drug store with enough drugs was tough for several weeks. I reminded him of the on and off drug shortages we have here in the US. I recently had a friend who was very nervous whether her chemo drugs would be available when she needed them this year. I told him that even our government was now saying everyone should have a personal 7 days of supplies in case of a disaster. This is up from the 72 hours they had always said to have. I explained I had researched and knew I could get drugs from overseas without a prescription, but would perfer to play it safe. I had found a Canadian pharmacy that I knew was legal and a member of the professional pharmacy board of Canada. I explained I would order my drugs from Canada, would not ask for any sort of narcotic or controlled drug that would be a red flag to our government. I explained I had a well thoughtout plan for storing and rotating my medicines. He asked if I wanted refills with that. So my husband and I left his office with our normal prescriptions and extra prescriptions for an extra year.
I did my homework. I spent many hours checking Canadian pharmancies, calling their profession accediation (sp?) board. Then I called the pharmacy a couple of times. Their people took their time explaining how they work. It was a good experience, they even doubled the strenght on one of my husband's meds. Same cost and we can just cut the pills in half, giving us double the amount. Never do this, unless you check with your doctor. Some meds are time release or coated and CAN NOT BE DIVIDED.
The drugs from Canada are not covered by my insurance. I had to pay, most were cheaper than paying out of pocket here in the US, but one actually was more expensive. It will be several hundred dollars each time I order because we have about nine prescriptions. I will be ordering refills every 90 days three more times. That is a whole year of medicines.
They will be rotated with my regular prescriptions. They are stored in a cool, dark, safe place. Actually, these pills should be safe and effective for many years if they are just stored and not rotated. The expiration dates are not true expiration dates. If stored in their orginal packaging and kept cool and out of the light they should be good for many, many years. The only exception is Tetecycline......DO NOT TAKE PAST EXPIRATION DATE, CAN BE DANGEROUS. However, do your own research on this. I am not a doctor or a drug expert.
I hesitate to even write about buying antibiotics. These are taken for different infections and can be extremely dangerous. As a nurse, I don't think I will ever know enough about them to feel comfort giving them to my family. But if TSHTF, difficult decisions will have to be made. For antibotics, most are the exact same as the ones sold for fish...yea...for fish. Somewhere I read never take dog medicines......not sure why, because I know my pal's dog takes Lasix......a human medicine. Anyway, back to the fish meds. Not only are they the same as human medicine but much cheaper and you don't need a prescription. Usually these drugs will need to be ordered, I couldn't find them in stores. I was told they quite selling them because people were buying them for human use. Once again I got on the computer and did lots of research before finding a vet supply company. After reading web sites from a doctor and a nurse who are into prepping, I placed my order from a company in Calif, I, also, order syringes and suture kits. I can not say it enough.... YOU BETTER KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING IF YOU GIVE ANTIBIOTIC TO YOUR FAMILY. You need to know how they will react with other medicines, the side effects. Let me write it in black and white...anytime you give or take any medicine you take a chance on a bad reaction or death!
There are still other animal medicines that are safe for humans, but I haven't gotten to research them yet. I understand there is a salve for drawing out boils, and a liquid for washing open wounds. Talk to your vet.
Always try over the counter medicines before going to prescriptions. Generic drugs can be bought at WalMart, dollar stores and such. Just compare them to the name brand ones. You can slowly build up a nice little pharmacy. They even sell something to replace a loose dental crown or for a temporary filling. Check out Amazon, they sell everything.
Sorry, this was much longer than I intended. Hope it is informative.

I take a few meds, some are controlled, so I try to space out the time between taking them so I have a bit of a cushion, but if push comes to shove, I'm going to be sol. I had a wonderful doctor that made sure that I would have what I needed in case of weather emergencies or something like that, but he retired a few months ago and his replacement is a twit.

I know this is highly frowned upon, but we do stock vet meds for our critters here on the farm. It's not unusual for me to take a sulphatrim when I have a uti. It has worked so far and hasn't killed me yet. I know which ones to stay away from, my husband knew a guy that gave himself a 1/2 cc dose of Ace and dropped dead in minutes. Idiot.

The one drug I take is for seizures and I'm not sure what exactly to do about it, guess I'll be doing some twitching from time to time if I can't get it.

That's a problem my wife would encounter as she needs meds for;
Type II Diabetes

Many type II would be able to get off the pills or insulin using diet alone. She needs to try diet first and to find a Dr willing to work with her on it. Also, is she is obese, she needs to get the weight off.

Cholesterol
High blood pressure

Again DIET, exercise and weight control.

Arthritis/Sciatiaca
And many more.
Stockpiling would be a problem as our Doctors wouldnt give more than a months at a time.

And many more? She may run into great difficulties if the SHTF if she can't get control of herself. Even 90 days worth of meds wont do it if there's a real crash. So many of our ills are due to our lifestyle and can be corrected with changes. But people have to be willing to change.

just got this in a email a short while ago...and remembered someone said something about being diabetic

Unexpected emergencies are a part of life. Natural disasters such as tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, and blizzards can happen almost anywhere. Acts of terrorism also occur, and could send your daily routine into turmoil.
Then after the horrible event ends, people with chronic illnesses like diabetes face another battle. There's a chance that you could be stranded in your home without power or away from your home for days, weeks, or even months. If you don’t have access to your medication, blood sugar testing supplies, and other necessities, you’ll face a medical emergency.
This is why it’s crucial for people with diabetes to be ready for an emergency. Taking the time to prepare now can save your life in the future.
Items for Your Diabetes Emergency Kit

The American Diabetes Association suggests stocking up on enough diabetes supplies to last for at least three days. Store these items in a waterproof, insulated container that’s easy to carry. Tell your family and friends where the kit is located in your home in case you’re unable to get to it. It’s a good idea to stock regular safety items — such as flashlights, batteries, and first aid supplies — near your diabetes care kit.
Fill up your kit with the following supplies:
· Insulin and syringes or insulin pump and supplies.
· Medication, including oral diabetes meds and any other prescription or over-the-counter drugs you take regularly. Store all medicines in their original containers.
· Blood glucose meter. Be sure to include your lancing device and lancet, alcohol swabs, test strips, and extra batteries for your meter.
· A safe location to dispose your used lancets in, such as an empty bottle with a lid.
· Items you would need to treat hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia such as glucose tablets, hard candy, or fruit juice. Include a glucagon emergency kit and urine ketone testing products if you use them.
· Water and healthy, non-perishable foods. Drinking enough liquids to prevent dehydration is a must. Having nutritious foods on hand can help keep your blood sugar in check.
· Diabetes tag or medical ID bracelet so others know you have diabetes.
· Copies of important items. Make copies of all your prescriptions and health insurance cards in case you need prescription refills or medical care.
· A detailed medical list. This list should include the exact doses and times you take your medications. Also note any allergies you have to medications.
· Emergency contact list of family members, friends, and doctors.
· Comfortable, close-toed shoes. You’ll need good shoes to protect your feet.
Set a reminder to check your supply kit every few months and replace expired medicines. Update your medical and emergency contact lists regularly.
The Road to Recovery

The days and weeks following a disaster can be especially stressful. Taking care of yourself and sticking to your diabetes treatment plan will help you stay on top of your health. If you run out of insulin, medication, food, or water, contact a local hospital or the American Red Cross.
Sources:
http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/medication/tips-for-emergency-preparedness.html
http://www.state.nj.us/health/fhs/documents/diabetes_disaster_guidelines.pdf
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/30/9/2395.full

OK, I see this is an old thread. At Walmart Metformin, Lisinopril you can get for $4.00, At a (Publix) { in the S.E.} Metformin is freeand antibiotics are free (some/generic). Just an idea go to another Dr. Get your duplicate Rx. Is this Dr. shopping maybe, but it is not like your getting narcotics. This will be easier if you have your medical records and explain you no longer have ins. or you have moved. So you may need to go to a county or two away. You have just got forget there is a box and get creative. You may have to pay for this Dr. visit out of your own pocket, but how much do we spend on beans, bullets, and band aids. Another way to get meds is if a family or friend changes drugs or if they die, sounds morbid but I bet they don't need them any more and the drugs will get dumped in toilet. Also down here in Fl. you can get an extra 30 day supply mandatory by law if a hurricane or other event is happening. You may have a law like this in your state, how ever seems like these laws are little known. Talk to someone in your local emergency management team. If it is a third or fourth world countries buyer be ware. Just some thoughts. Good luck, be safe, and God bless.

Yep, good a good storm year in FL, and you can really stock up on meds.

Another way to get meds is if a family or friend changes drugs or if they die,

Or some are prescribed more than they actually take. My wife never took her whole prescription (if she did, she wouldn't be able to function).

On a lot of your drugs 50°F will be the optimal temperature. Also even your maintenance meds should be kept in a cool ''DRY'' dark place! NOT the bathroom cabinet moist heat from showers or in the kitchen where temp changes hot to cool with even higher humidity if you have a dish washer. Just some food for thought.
Good luck, be safe, and God bless!

I suggest mail order pharmacies most insurances cover them because they are cheaper ... that is how I get mine three months at a time every time they change my dose I get more again so I have six months to a years worth in meds now. plus my doctor gives samples. but if you cannot do that samples samples samples :)

Latest posts

Back