Helpful Info. Customizing your blades.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roninsensei

If it’s sharp, I’m your guy....
Reaction score
So this is something I do a lot of. Anyone else?

This is a karambit from SOG that I recently customized.

Before

sog_gb1001-cp_2.png
SOG-GB1001-5.jpg

After

IMG_5340.JPG
IMG_5341.JPG
IMG_5344.JPG

As you can see I changed the handle scales to a home made micarta and thickened it so it fits in the hand better. Next is it's own kydex case....

Yes I often modify my blades, the last one I messed on with was a CRKT Liong Mah #5 that I reprofiled the scales and changed the angle of the cutting edge, A chap on YT did a video that encouraged me to do the mods to the number 5

never felt the need, I always buy my knives because I like how they look and function.

Most of the time that's the same for me however, most knife makers skip somewhere. Like on this SOG the handle scales were way too thin and the sheath is made of glass reinforced nylon!! Talk about guaranteed to ruin your blade ever time you pull it out! That's why I do the mods. I find where they cut corners and then fix the problem. Cold steel has a problem with their sheaths. Secure-Ex is glass reinforced nylon so if the blade comes in contact with the sheath it will dull the blade. Hence why I kydex all of my blades. I prefer a good grip made for my hand so on some of the knives I make my own handle scales. Some blades skip on sharpening so I convex all of my blades accept those that require a flat or scandi grind.

man I have had a lot of knives over the years and I have changes a few handles and reshaped a few blade,,,,but a few years back I had a realization about knives,,,,to use one you have to be close to whomever is in your way,I am still capable but a 22 with a silencer is just as effective and I don't need to be quite so close

man I have had a lot of knives over the years and I have changes a few handles and reshaped a few blade,,,,but a few years back I had a realization about knives,,,,to use one you have to be close to whomever is in your way,I am still capable but a 22 with a silencer is just as effective and I don't need to be quite so close
You may not have a choice ! knives are usually last resort my friend...

Ive got a butcher knife my dad found at a yard sale for a buck its high carbon and 1/8th thick. sanded and oiled the scales, been working down in grit on sanding the blade had alot of scarring but looks much better now ! actually starting to shine .. gonna make a leather sheath for it here later .. ill post some picks when the wife gets home and takes over with these youngins. plus im waiting for my work sharp to arrive so i can throw a new edge on it. ive got the belt sander but i need a good angle jig for it.

Ive got a butcher knife my dad found at a yard sale for a buck its high carbon and 1/8th thick. sanded and oiled the scales, been working down in grit on sanding the blade had alot of scarring but looks much better now ! actually starting to shine .. gonna make a leather sheath for it here later .. ill post some picks when the wife gets home and takes over with these youngins. plus im waiting for my work sharp to arrive so i can throw a new edge on it. ive got the belt sander but i need a good angle jig for it.
I have made a few knives and I enjoy the leather work,,,a lot of those old knives were made from files,they make excellent blades

it used to not bother me,but as I have gotten older,I avoid confrontations if at all possible,,,,,if someone was to become a problem I would prefer to dispatch the a-hole from long range

Me too, I'm no forceman survivalist ( have gun will travel type) Confrontation is the last thing on my mind, but if cornered etc.

Latest posts

Back