Curious ????

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think this younger generation gets it at all. "Started prepping"? Many of us were born into families where 'prepping' (just use different words) was a way of life. Everyone had gardens. And in the fall, we canned, and canned, and canned, and canned. Peaches and tomatoes and green beans and everything. It was the mainstay of our meals throughout the year. It was just how we lived. We were not necessarily 'poor' but we were quite frugal. Today it's just too easy to go to the store for everything. And that's convenience and time-saving and affordable... as long as the store is there. We did not worry about IF the store was not there, we did what we did for other reasons. It's just now that the fear of empty shelves and burned stores and domestic war and that convenient lifestyle that we are called "crazy preppers" as a term.

I’m 35, how old were some of y’all when you started prepping? I’m guessing some of the older folks grew up doing some degree of food storage for tough times?

Lot of us grew up with parents that's lived through the Great Depression, Dust Bowl and later we kids grew up during the Red Scare of the 50s and 60s. My dad was eminently involved with the CD (Civil Defense) at the Pentagon level.

We probably started prepping around late 1989 when Iben Browning predicted the New Madrid fault was going the blow the big one. Nobody really took him seriously, but there was a seed of doubt. What if he is right?

After that is was Y2K. Then we had the Mayan Apocalypse. Seemed like there was always a reason. The Mayan Apocalypse started a cottage industry. I would guess that was what got many people started.

I started prepping in earnest when I was a Sales Rep covering a 250 mile radius from my house. I started with a three day car bag just in case I got stuck for whatever reason. That was about 25 years ago, and since then it has grown into a life style. I consider it common sense. Why would you not be prepared? Would you rather be the ant or the grasshopper?

I grow up and live in a small NC coastal town we always stocked extra food and supplies because of hurricanes and occasional severe winter storms that would knock power out for days. Hurricane Florence in 2018 we lost power for 11 days and ran off a small portable generator but I was stocked with food however I have now installed a whole house generator and bought a deep freeze and continue to increase my supplies

Very late to the party. I have only been prepping for about 6 years. I am hoping better late than never. I have shifted focus from security / defense (got that part mostly covered) to foraging and food production. Time to learn how and what I can eat, that is not provided from a store.

Well I started learning skills at about 7yo in fishing, crabbing, shrimping, rabbit hunting, then about 12, deer and duck hunting, foraging, fire building, camping.

I've learned how to craft, cook, hunt, etc.. During middle ages through the Renaissance periods when I belonged to a historical reenactment society.

I learned skills in private security. Learned trapping and bush craft in south Louisiana.

I've been fully prepping for 13 years now with a group.

I've been prepping for about 5 years when i bought my grandparents house with a 30x30 garden and a food cellar ive been a deer hunter since i was 12 im now 38 my 14 year old son can operate all my weapons for security and hunting i put up security cameras and alarms around my yard i have a neighbor that owns a butcher shop and is involved with guns and reloading we are starting to work together to be prepared they are a friend of the family in there 60s saftey in numbers right

Very late to the party. I have only been prepping for about 6 years. I am hoping better late than never. I have shifted focus from security / defense (got that part mostly covered) to foraging and food production. Time to learn how and what I can eat, that is not provided from a store.

You and me both Urban! I’ve worked hard on it for years though and I feel what I am still lacking is more experience with gardening, raising different animals and always practice in shooting different weapons. Bought some traps and going to work on learning how to best use those,. My oldest has trapped for years and he is giving me instructio.

My wife, daughter and me started prepping about 11 years, at first I spent quite a bit of money buying freeze dried vegetables and also chicken , beef and pork. Then I started to dehydrate our own, started to smoke and preserve meat as well as vacuum seal goods for longer shelf life and to keep critters out. My wife has a gift for buying can goods when on sale, she has stocked up. I’ve alyways told her she could put 10# of crap in a 5# bag. Lol We are good on self defense, plenty deer and turkey to hunt , fishing is good in my area also. I’m not saying I’m ready for the end of the world but they say a (country boy can survive).

I don't think this younger generation gets it at all. "Started prepping"? Many of us were born into families where 'prepping' (just use different words) was a way of life. Everyone had gardens. And in the fall, we canned, and canned, and canned, and canned. Peaches and tomatoes and green beans and everything. It was the mainstay of our meals throughout the year. It was just how we lived. We were not necessarily 'poor' but we were quite frugal. Today it's just too easy to go to the store for everything. And that's convenience and time-saving and affordable... as long as the store is there. We did not worry about IF the store was not there, we did what we did for other reasons. It's just now that the fear of empty shelves and burned stores and domestic war and that convenient lifestyle that we are called "crazy preppers" as a term.

I'm 28. I grew up in the country so there was a lot of "prepping" that was just normal. When I learned about "prepping" as a lifestyle I thought it sounded like a smart thing to do, and thought there would be a whole lot to learn. I wasn't wrong and I have certainly learned a lot as I've become serious about being prepared, but the basics just seemed like common sense to me.

I'm 28. I grew up in the country so there was a lot of "prepping" that was just normal. When I learned about "prepping" as a lifestyle I thought it sounded like a smart thing to do, and thought there would be a whole lot to learn. I wasn't wrong and I have certainly learned a lot as I've become serious about being prepared, but the basics just seemed like common sense to me.
@KateMTx Difference between you and most kids your age is that you grew up doing normal everyday chores, which is considered prepping. You just didn't know it then. But the way you were taught, put a little seed in the back of your head. . . It taught you responsibility and to care for not only yourself but others too. You were taught to be a survivor, do for yourself and not rely on another to do it for you. You were raised in a big loving family, with a special needs sister you helped look after. Being the way you were raised had a lot to do with who you are today. A lot of kids don't get that and they turn out much different.

I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis and prepping as a little kid for that .....
"Duck and cover"
Like that's going to help in a nuclear blast, LOL

iu

Latest posts

Back