Creating long-term food stocks

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to mention above I DO also use bacon grease quite a bit in cooking. Buy bacon ends and pieces to render when I run out. Both my folks were raised on farms and it's just a way of life. Mom's dad raised hogs & smoked his own bacon and hams. I season some green vegetables with it, sear/fry pork and ham with it, and wouldn't consider making beef/potato/onion hash without it for caramelizing those onions. :) Plus, it's another healthy fat IMO.

I used to work with a guy in the UT Austin main library acquisitions dept. that popped his popcorn in bacon grease! I tried it once at home out of curiosity years later and it was actually pretty good, much to my surprise. Not a very pronounced bacon flavor though. I confess I did not drizzle melted bacon fat on the finished popped corn and don't know if he did or not. Maybe I should have done that. Haven't tried it again since though. He was a true weirdo to work with. Probably the weirdest person I have ever known, in fact. :)

If I had to live off of mostly oats, coconut oil and whey powder long enough, I think I might just ask someone to shoot me. But I probably would not have to because the coconut oil, which is 82.5% saturated fat, would clog up my cardiac arteries within months.
1663085409137.png

I've stocked up a years supply worth of the afore mentioned stuff and it's not that bad actually. This is what a cup of Oats, a scoop of coconut fat, 3 spoons of whey powder and some water look like. It's definitely magnitudes better than just oats soaked with water. It's actually not that bad. I could eat this for breakfast daily (although I probably would add some fruits to it). This stuff will certainly take care of 50-80% of my nutritional and caloric needs during a SHTF and could also work for saving some money right now. I'm definitely satisfied with this combination.

View attachment 17349

I've stocked up a years supply worth of the afore mentioned stuff and it's not that bad actually. This is what a cup of Oats, a scoop of coconut fat, 3 spoons of whey powder and some water look like. It's definitely magnitudes better than just oats soaked with water. It's actually not that bad. I could eat this for breakfast daily (although I probably would add some fruits to it). This stuff will certainly take care of 50-80% of my nutritional and caloric needs during a SHTF and could also work for saving some money right now. I'm definitely satisfied with this combination.

Add in local honey also.

I have done my research on that and it is well established by a multitude of studies that saturated fat increases LDL (bad) cholesterol, which deposits plaque in your arteries, and polyunsaturated fat decreases LDL cholesterol. Monounsaturated fat increases HDL cholesterol which carries plaque from your arteries to your liver where it is metabolized.

Yes, trans fat and hydrogenated fat are just as bad...or worse...but I don't eat them.
Processed foods I eat every day? What processed foods?? I eat very little processed food. Tonight I had a pizza that I made from scratch with chicken breast, olives, mushrooms, roma tomatoes, and spinach, with extra virgin olive oil drizzled on it. And a small air fried whole white sweet potato.

Unless you grow your own wheat and make your own flour even it is "processed" as in enriched. I found this out when my doctor told me to steer clear of "enriched" flour products due to the fact that the added artificial form of Folic Acid, was something my body had adverse reactions to, due to genetics... enrichment is required BY LAW> there are other effects resulting from the added "nutrients"

" determining whether the ash content complies with the requirements of this section, ash resulting from any added iron or salts of iron or calcium or wheat germ is excluded in calculating ash content." 21 CFR § 137.165 - Enriched flour.

My stance on fats is that everyone's body reacts a little differently to them. I eat a lot of bacon, beef, eggs, cook with butter and meat lards instead of processed oils and the doc says clean as a whistle. I am slightly underweight and my LDL is low in the ratio...combined Cholesterols of under 100. For someone over 50 not bad.

Then again, I also do not spend 12/7/365 inside my house in front of some electronic device either...so lifestyle also plays a roll me thinkest. The husband, who has been eating my cooking now for 35 years, is in similar condition.

Medicine, research studies and "science" are a good rule of thumb given an "average" starting point but, are not a universal representation of absolutes.

My approach to food storage is do not change too radically from what you eat now if you find it works for you. Store what you eat and eat what you store, rotating it out.

IF you do not normally eat what you are storing, then when you really need to be at your best, when medical care might not be available, you may find over time, your body is not adapting well to the new diet you are suddenly throwing at it and it will be too late to make adjustments!

Last edited:
I'm behind the last 2-3 weeks on canning and putting any food away for storage due to one reaason or another with other things coming up. I got my first cataract surgery done this monring (rt. eye) so I am home propped up in bed still a bit groggy from a xanax they gave me. Anyway, I got an email ad via brighteon that I am subscribed to for their Pink Himalayn salt. I went to the brighteon store site to check it out, then I see there are different freeze dried products as well as a variety of other products. Have any of you ordered from there or Health Ranger Store? I'm feeling like I need to order some more long term storage food from one of these places to give a boost to my food stockpile since I am a bit behind on making nmy own. I have ordered from 4 patiots, but find them a bit pricey especially their shipping costs (Although they are all pricey) I'd like to try some different brands.

I took the day off work so I am pursuing around here reading old posts in the meantime.

I'm behind the last 2-3 weeks on canning and putting any food away for storage due to one reaason or another with other things coming up. I got my first cataract surgery done this monring (rt. eye) so I am home propped up in bed still a bit groggy from a xanax they gave me. Anyway, I got an email ad via brighteon that I am subscribed to for their Pink Himalayn salt. I went to the brighteon store site to check it out, then I see there are different freeze dried products as well as a variety of other products. Have any of you ordered from there or Health Ranger Store? I'm feeling like I need to order some more long term storage food from one of these places to give a boost to my food stockpile since I am a bit behind on making nmy own. I have ordered from 4 patiots, but find them a bit pricey especially their shipping costs (Although they are all pricey) I'd like to try some different brands.

I took the day off work so I am pursuing around here reading old posts in the meantime.

I hope you recover quickly. I've ordered food buckets and some colloidal silver products from the health Ranger store. It's not only Organic, but tested to be clean from glyphosate and other chemicals.

Hope you heal quickly and feel better soon.

I trust the Health Ranger. They do lab work, cause they actually have their own lab, on all products and reject the ones that come back bad. I would not hesitate buying from them at all. Just be careful if it is from another site. Mike Adams has done lab work in the past for different distributer that named him as approval, but he only did the initial lab work and not since.

Oh thank you guys for the well wishes..I I just slept about 4 hours straight today..all good! I have my second next week and am so excited to get my full vision back. Thank you all also for the advice and I am going to order from health ranger..think I will start with some of that himalayan salt and a few other freed dried items, and see what else I want/need. I am about to go into DT's from no canning anything that past few weekends...getting the heebie jeebies! I gave quite a bit of canned stuff to my sister to take back with her this past week also,so that reduced some of my stock pile. Back to canning this weeked, gotta keep it going!

I'm trying to build up my food reserve for the coming years. After a lot of research I'm planning to get 90% of my calorie intake from oats, coconut oil and whey powder. Carbs, fats and proteins are all in there. I have additional stocks consisting of a large variety of dried vegetables, berries, nuts, canned fish & meat etc for micronutrients.

From what I understand there are 3 ways foods like oats and whey powder can go bad:

1. Rancid (due to fat coming in contact with oxygen)
2. Mold
3. Parasites

By freezing all my oats, coconut oil and whey powder for 2 weeks I was told all parasites and mushroom spores would be destroyed. As long as noone opens the pack and allows oxygen to get inside it will last for decades. After that I pack everything into steel barrels, throw a handful of silica gels inside it and seal it airtight. Even if a bomb hits close, my food is safe, and I expect it to last at least 50 years.

What are you guys' takes on these methods?
I have never been that concerned about molds and parasites, but most of what I purchase is in a sealed can or package. I have had foods go rancid, and they get tossed immediately.
Your 90% is interesting.
The Mormons initial recommendations for food storage was based on wheat. Since wheat is largely used in making bread, and you are using oats instead, I am curious how you will prepare it? Will you be making oatmeal?

How are you feeling this morning Cindy? You push yourself pretty hard. Just sayin!

You can’t beat The Health Ranger food in my humble opinion. Unlike others, it won’t clog you up when eating it for days on end. 😂

Last edited:
Today I sampled a 50 pound bag of rice
stored outside for 7 years.

What I discovered:

It had some dead tiny bugs in the bag, I assume a type of weavol.
My understanding is they are in all large bags of rice.
Other than that the rice looked like rice.

How I sampled it:

I took a 1 cup sample and steamed it.
First I hand removed the dead bugs,

Then shook all of the rice in a fine filter to remove
dust and bug parts(?).

Then I added water for steaming.
I agitated the water for remaining bugs to raise topside
and I filtered them out.

I steamed it and compared the cooked rice with some leftover in the Frig.
There was no difference in odor, texture or taste.

Note: I never washed off the sprayed on nutrients.

Storage Method:

I cut a hole in a 4 foot cubic ICB plastic tote.
I stacked (34) 50 Lb. bags in it and sealed it
with duck tape and put a layer of rubber sealant over the door joints.

The cube was stacked under a pole barn with one side shielding the Southern sun (in Florida).
1677441984247.png

Last edited:
Today I sampled a 50 pound bag of rice
stored outside for 7 years.

What I discovered:

It had some dead tiny bugs in the bag, I assume a type of weavol.
My understanding is they are in all large bags of rice.
Other than that the rice looked like rice.

How I sampled it:

I took a 1 cup sample and steamed it.
First I hand removed the dead bugs,

Then shook all of the rice in a fine filter to remove
dust and bug parts(?).

Then I added water for steaming.
I agitated the water for remaining bugs to raise topside
and I filtered them out.

I steamed it and compared the cooked rice with some leftover in the Frig.
There was no difference in odor, texture or taste.

Note: I never washed off the sprayed on nutrients.

Storage Method:

I cut a hole in a 4 foot cubic ICB plastic tote.
I stacked (34) 50 Lb. bags in it and sealed it
with duck tape and put a layer of rubber sealant over the door joints.

The cube was stacked under a pole barn with one side shielding the Southern sun (in Florida).
View attachment 19091

I see these for sale all the time and have a couple for water storage. Never thought to use them for dried goods! Thank-you for the idea.

Latest posts

Back