Creating A Bug-Out-Bag

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krime

M.I.A.
Reaction score
A lot of people wonder what they should put in a bug out bag. there are many different idems you can put in these bags. you might want to think of a few things while creating your own bug bag, like what climate your living, or plan to be living in, what kind of animals (if any) may be where you are, or going... etc...
i also suggest while picking items, that you pick items with duel purposes, this not only gives you a range of different items from 1 idem, but cuts down on weight too!
here is a list of what i want in my bug bag (more of a wish list atm lol) and a brief reason why:
1. water, i suggest as many small bottles as i can fit, small bottles cuz they don't take up as much space in your pack.
2. Tylenol - aspirin - ibuprofen: you never know when you need them, take only 1 at a time due to limited resources.
3. a first aid emergency kit- build you own or buy a good one.
4. flint striker: some can use nothing to build a fire, but wouldn't you rather make it easy?
5. a survival knife: i will recommend a large fixed blade knife, me, I'm going with a crocodile dundee type bowie, sooo many uses!
6. flashlight: i prefer a self wind/solar with a radio and possibly a charger outlet.
7. small key chain light: for personal, oops forgot the good one light.
8. a palm size container: to put stuff like caught bugs for fishing, used candle wax, tree sap glue, etc.
9. Swiss army knife: buy a good one, dollar store knifes bend easy.
10. safety pins: these can be used for arm slings, a quick fix clothing etc.
11. water proof matches: easier than a flint n steel.
12. lighters: easy fire starter, and their cheap, and become other useful items when taken apart.
13. iodine pads: they can not only be used for medical, but if you drop 1 in a quart of water it will clean microbes in half hour.
14. hand sewing needles: for stitching wounds, cloths, bend for extra fish hooks...etc.
15. 3 yards/meters dental floss: used for snare traps, stitching wounds, hygiene, or even killing by throat.
16. anti-diarrhea pills: when your low on water, dehydration from diarreah would not be good, besides the fact its the last thing you want when shtf! (rofl)
17. baking soda- its cheap toothpaste, and if you have chronic heartburn like myself its wonderful, put it in a Ziploc to save space.
18. Ziploc bags: store water, food, rain catchers etc.
19. Mylar blankets: warmth, and can catch rain, be used as shelter etc.
20. trash bags: for carrying stuff, water catch, rain poncho, hobo sleeping bag etc.
21. ribbon-twine-shoestrings-rope: i prefer paracord to most, and there are many, many uses.
22. fishing kit: i prefer one with pre made hook lines, split shots, bobbers etc.
23. tube socks: ya i hate them but water filters, feet, storage for items etc
24. shirts: regular t-shirts are good for arm slings, bandages, shirts etc.
25. small knife: for skinning, cooking, simple stuff that a Bowie would be over kill but Swiss just doesn't cut it, no pun intended.
26. magnifying glasses: start fires by sunlight, read maps, or amuse yourself n kill ants lol.
27. hygiene products: tooth brush, tooth paste, soap, feminine products etc.
28. scissors: i prefer the heavy duty kitchen scissors, I've used them in mechanics and pruning my vegetation as well as all scissors are meant for.
29. strait razor: how many gillet fusion razors do you think you'll find when shtf, strait razors can be resharpened, and used as a weapon.
30. toilet paper: for... you know, and good fire starter.
31. canteens/water bag: i think this explains itself.
32. stainless steel cup/small pot: for cooking or boiling snow etc.
33. medical face masks n95 rated: there will be a lot of death, death=disease, or pandemic, good water/coffee filters.
34. small bottles of bleach: 3 drops per quart of water kills microbes in half hour.
35. plastic/rubber dish gloves: more durable than medical gloves, and good rain catchers too.
36. food: some will go with MREs, but you can put spam, 3 packs of ramen in a ziplock to save space, and peanut butter anything high calories and less weight, most say 3 days at least, but i say as much as you can!
37. guns n ammo: your choice!
also if you have a baby: pack extra formula, if that young, or/and something to smash your food to be baby edible and baby stuff: diapers, bottles, some toys etc.
small kids bring crayons and coloring books a few toys, something to keep them feeling somewhat normal!
oh ya....
38. bartering items: I'm taking tobacco and papers mostly because i smoke, but there's other things like silver coins before 1964 that are 90% silver...etc
39. duct tape: probably one of the most useful items made!
i hope this helps, please add to it if you find other useful stuff!

alot of people wonder what they should put in a bug out bag. there are many different idems you can put in these bags. you might want to think of a few things while creating your own bug bag, like what climate your living, or plan to be living in, what kind of animals (if any) may be where you are, or going... etc...!
Thanks for this list! This is great. I so do appreciate your efforts! I will be adding a few items from this list to my own bag(s).

Thanks again!

heck ya, with the sharpened shovel, andbthe pick axe? there could be a new horror movie with a guy using one of those lmao

41. antibiotics: you can find alot like amoxicillin at fish stores for around $8 a bottle
This is true. I know someone else made mention about that on here at one point.
I qm trying to work on how people can stock pile prescriptions without skipping doses.

my mother has M.S. and epilepsy with strokes, shes on several meds, i went with her to her pain management doctor and asked her doctor that very same question, she then, to my suprise, started talking prepper talk lol which in turn got my parents into it a little bit, her answer was, pills: at the beginning of the month when you have your perscription filled, drop 1 or 2 in a bottle, after a few months you'll have a few days supply, (to what? try n figure out what to do when their gone?) at least youll have that stock, liquid,(ie, insulin etc): usually at the end of the month, you can have your script filled bout a week before it runs out, use this opertunity to stock what you have left over

my mother has M.S. and epilepsy with strokes, shes on several meds, i went with her to her pain management doctor and asked her doctor that very same question, she then, to my suprise, started talking prepper talk lol which in turn got my parents into it a little bit, her answer was, pills: at the beginning of the month when you have your perscription filled, drop 1 or 2 in a bottle, after a few months you'll have a few days supply, (to what? try n figure out what to do when their gone?) at least youll have that stock, liquid,(ie, insulin etc): usually at the end of the month, you can have your script filled bout a week before it runs out, use this opertunity to stock what you have left over
That's what I am doing. I get my Rx through the mail so i get it about 10 days early, so i figure i can put those extras away and run them in a rotation so i always have a good fresh supply. though it is going to suck when they run out, and not sure what to do then.

*****EDIT*** for those that have small children, you may also want to pack ben-gay or something to the same effect, my son is almost 5, and he's having very bad growing pains, as a kid i had them bad and can attest to the fact they hurt like hell!
some children go through childhood never having to experince them, (lucky buggers) but those that do need something, i will be looking into homemade remidies as well!

*****EDIT*** for those that have small children, you may also want to pack ben-gay or something to the same effect, my son is almost 5, and he's having very bad growing pains, as a kid i had them bad and can attest to the fact they hurt like hell!
some children go through childhood never having to experince them, (lucky buggers) but those that do need something, i will be looking into homemade remidies as well!
Great advice! I hadn't even thought of that.
I guess I am one of the lucky buggers, as I never had them.
However, my son gets them from time to time.

*****EDIT**** for those with babies or children still in diapers:
i would recommend packing cloth diapers, your not gonna find too many disposables when shtf. Get them in all different sizes or just use a really big size: remember most children don't potty train till about 3. also take a lot of the bigger safety pins, or invest in the baby pins.

*****EDIT**** for those with babies or children still in diapers:
i would recommend packing cloth diapers, your not gonna find too many disposables when shtf. Get them in all different sizes or just use a really big size: remember most children don't potty train till about 3. also take a lot of the bigger safety pins, or invest in the baby pins.
Excellent idea. Since my kid is out of diapers I didn't even think about this. Disposable diapers will probably be a hot item to trade when shtf.

lol probably to those who didnt think of cloth diapers.
*****ADDITION***
I didn't know what to call it since both are listed but:
liquor stores and cigarette shops often sell lighters that have LED lights on them, most are refuel-able too. my step father just gave me an empty one he found and thought it would be good for my kit, i agree!

Latest posts

Back