Creating A Bug-Out-Bag

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are all some really great ideas, a few of which I'm going to implement myself. I've got some advice about the amoxicillin from pet stores. It's becoming harder and harder to find--even online. My theory is that doctors are catching on, and causing this to be more regulated (maybe I'm paranoid?) but recently I couldn't even find any on amazon, much less at 3 different local pet stores. I finally found one of the last remaining website dealers, to my knowledge, and ordered a couple bottles of FishMox, which is a pharmaceutical grade amoxicillin. Antibiotics are already cheap, AFTER a big Dr.'s bill and Rx... I think this is one of the most important things in my bag, so here's a link
http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com/index.php/fish-mox-amoxicillin.html

The types of antibiotics are either bactericidal or bacteriostatic. Bactericidal kills bacteria, while bacteriostatic doesn't kill it, but stops it from growing. There are dozens, if not over a hundred, types of antibiotics, but they all come from only seven main-classes, mostly penicillin -- good for bacterial infections like pneumonia. Other antibiotics are used for things like skin and respiratory infections and std's. Cephalosporins is supposed to be the best for UTI's, but I know from experience that it has the same exact effect and time-span as amoxicillin. (and FishMox). And with all of that, I'll go ahead and tell you that I'm no doctor! Please research for yourselves! As for me, this is for an absolute necessity/DD scenaio. I've only tested the theory once, had good results, so I put them in my BOB.

The types of antibiotics are either bactericidal or bacteriostatic. Bactericidal kills bacteria, while bacteriostatic doesn't kill it, but stops it from growing. There are dozens, if not over a hundred, types of antibiotics, but they all come from only seven main-classes, mostly penicillin -- good for bacterial infections like pneumonia. Other antibiotics are used for things like skin and respiratory infections and std's. Cephalosporins is supposed to be the best for UTI's, but I know from experience that it has the same exact effect and time-span as amoxicillin. (and FishMox). And with all of that, I'll go ahead and tell you that I'm no doctor! Please research for yourselves! As for me, this is for an absolute necessity/DD scenaio. I've only tested the theory once, had good results, so I put them in my BOB.
Roger that Thanks

I've been using these products for years. They work. My friend works at a pharmacy and did a comparison and said that there's no difference between what they hand out and the pills I got. They come from the same company its just the animal ones don't have to pay the inspection fee's and taxes.

I believe in multiple bags, and this will sound crazy at first. I think many people will find that a lot of what's in this thread is going to be too much for 1 pack on 1 person. They're ALL good ideas, and physical endurance is paramount, but many people have health issues and will have to pare this down a bit to get even a mile on foot. I think this is all valid kit to have, but is a bit more than a BOB, more of a BOKit), assuming that you have the ability to move it all. I consider a BOB(s) to be something that is entirely manageable by 1 person=1 bag, or at least the ability to split the rest of it to go into the "Must have" bags of the party. Some of this can be kept in cargo pants pockets too, but are you always wearing cargo pants?

First, I like to have an individual survival kit. I first heard this idea while I was putting one together thinking that if something happened to the main one, like it being stolen or stuck in a car if you were in a wreck. I thought, "I'm gonna be empty handed if this happens!". It just so happened I was reading a book by Les Stroud on survival and his story was about getting a conoe flipped over and your ENTIRE kit going down a rapid and being flat out empty-handed. This idea is gonna help should this happen. I took a lot of his advice and modified it to my own personal requirements... Second, is the main BOB. I actually have 3 complete BOBs(Not including each person's ISK). 1 for me, one for the wife, and a "Special gear" bag that if lost won't be earth shattering and is at hand to be thrown in the car(Assuming we can take the car), but if we HAVE to ditch it, we can do just that. I am a FIRM believer that one should buy individual pieces and pack their kit personally. You can look over the quality of each piece if you do this, and you have to keep in mind that no one cares about your survival as much as you do. Pre-built kits are made by companies to be profitable. Things might be missing, unnecessary, or cheaply made. If you don't make it out of the situation, it's not going to cost them their lives. Take responsibility for your own hide.

Personal Survival Kit- A fanny pack. Sure, make jokes, but in a survival situation, no one's worried about looking cool. If so, keep looking silly while "The cool kids" starve and freeze! In it I like to have this stuff:
- Lighter(s) for making fire. You can use a ton of different kinds of fire tools, but this is a "Gimme".
- Small waterproof container with strike anywhere matches(With a striker). For fire and the striker is a back up.
- Flint & magnesium striker, a fire piston, or other fire making device. Don't underestimate the need for fire.
- 2 large, orange trash bags. Bright for visibility. They can be used for waterproofing the roof of a shelter, a raincoat, or keeping things dry.
- Ziploc bag, large for keeping things dry, you can even store a lot of these in the bag, but it will wear quicker if you do.
- Bandana, shemagh, etc for keeping sun off of your head or using as a cold compress, sling, etc.
- Compass... Duuhhhh. A small map of the area is good too. I think of these almost as one item, personally.
- Small LED flashlight(Or 2).
- Aspirin or acetaminophen for headaches and fevers and other meds that are PERSON SPECIFIC.
- 550 cord, 20-30ft(Often as a bracelet or necklace). This is MAD strong, and can even be taken apart if you need thinner line.
- Multi-tool. Swiss-type knives are okay too, but pliers are AWESOME to have handy.
- GOOD KNIFE(Fixed are best, but not as convenient). I like folders with replaceable razor blades or a GOOD folder that can be sharpened well.
- Whistle for signaling or even scaring off wildlife.
- Collapsible cup if you can fit in it there. Obviously you can fit things in it too so it doesn't waste space.
- Space blanket for warmth and for signaling
- Trail mix, protein bar, or other "High powered" food that is small and has a great shelf-life.
- $, a little cash in case you get a chance to use it, it doesn't take any space and it's good discipline, IMO.
- Last but not least, make this kit to YOUR needs. Think of you as an individual and add what's necessary.

Main Survival Kit- A larger bag that can hold the main items that you will need regularly while on the go. There are many options, but get a good one, not a cheap one. If you have to use this bag for any real amount of time, it's going to take some abuse. I have had packs that have lasted me literally YEARS when maintained, even when used as an EDC, camping bag, range bag, and travel bag.
- Look back at the PSK list and double everything in it. Seriously. Have a double of everything in that kit in this bag.
- Belt knife. A folder is good, but you really should have a fixed blade knife that can handle SERIOUS work. From cutting line to being used as a pry tool, a good knife is invaluable and will almost assuredly last longer than a folder.
- Hatchet for cutting and splitting firewood, making a shelter, or other heavy tasks including hammering.
- Machete for clearing out camp and other heavy chores that don't require a TRULY sharp blade. It should be sharp though.
- File and a good sharpening stone. Synthetic stones don't need oil, you can use water. You can use soapstone, quartz, and some other stones found in nature to handle this task if you have to. A file may seem a bit much, but it handles the hatchet, machete, and shovel heads nicely.
- Duct tape, roll it up and use it as a candle, put cloth under it as a bandage, repair your tent or shelter, and anything else you can fix! I like to have gray for work tasks, but bright colors and patterns are good for visibility.
- Mess kit if possible. You can use your other tools to make eating utensils and even bowls and cups, but this makes life easier!
- Camp stove... This is a big item for many, but MAN does it make life easier!
- Dried foods on a much larger scale than trail mix or peanuts. Even if you can harvest from mother earth, this ROCKS.
- Cotton balls covered in melted wax. They're candles, tinder, take up almost no space, and burn a lot longer than you may think.
- First aid kit. Don't play around with this. Get as good of one as you can possibly afford to make. Learn what's in it and how to use it.
- Extra ammo for hunting, defense, bartering, etc. 22lr is best for weight, but lacks in power. Use your best judgment.
- Fishing kit. No pole unless you McGyver a collapsible one, but a fishing net, line, hooks, and even lures are a good idea.
- Surveyors flagging tape in florescent colors for marking your camp for others or your path so you don't get lost.
- GPS if you can. I've heard some have locating beacons that could help if you're stuck, but may lead people to you that you don't want also.
- Sewing kit. Doesn't have to be big, but have needles with a big eye and strong threads. Cant be stitches too if you must.
- Pencil and notebook, weather proof ones are nice, but anythings better than nothing.
- Folding saw for cutting fire wood and other chores. This makes a HUGE difference
- Snare wire for trapping
- Signal mirror. For rescue or signaling to others in your party.
- LifeStraw(My favorite) or other purification device. I like this one because it does more water than most and is as small as many that only clean 25 or so quarts.
- Water purification tablets. If you can't boil water, these are awesome.
- Blue disposable shop or paper towels. From using the bathroom to cleaning a wound, they work great are disposable and biodegradable, and last WAY better than regular paper towels or TP.
- Flares for signaling or starting fires when all else fails.

This is what I feel is good from a survivalist standpoint. I am much more into primitive living than most other preppers I know. By all means if you want to carry more, please do. If you want to have a "Kit" for your car too, go for it. Certain things like extra clothes, true cooking sets, and other items are too big for a bag but make great sense if you can have them. I didn't include a belt knife or firearm(s) because I think they are too personal. I don't think they should be in your bag, but on your being. Extra ammo or an extra knife, even an "Extra" firearm is okay in your bag, but please don't let those be your only ones. Especially if you're bugging out in an urban or suburban area. People think of wild animals as cougars or bears, but the threat of violent humans in densely populated areas is usually FAR more realistic to most of us.

I think if there is one thing I can say that's most important about this subject, it's that your pack is your pack. Make it suit YOU and YOUR needs. If it suits me and my climate and this time of year, and you have HBP and it's 110 degrees and you live in Nevada, YOU'LL be the one with the problem, not me. Try and make it suit you, your area, climate, and if at all possible, your immediate mission. If you have to bug out for 2 or 3 days, your pack will be VERY different than if you need to bug out for 4 or 5 months. Think it out and make your plans and changes accordingly. Don't be afraid to make changes as you go, but make sure you test things before you trust things or they will almost assuredly break or malfunction.

awesome Al!
the reason i kinda went off on all the supplys is just to give ppl an idea of what to bring for not only what they would like to bring but location and climate as well which could easily change the necessitys in ones bug bag.
personally id love nothing more than to take one ore more of each thing mentioned in this whole thread, however its not gonna happen. just not possable fir me and i have no disabilitys.
my pack is around 60-65lbs atm and im nowhere close to having half the idems mentioned.
for example, if you live in Alaska, water probably wont be too important to have cuz you can melt snow.
rope/string may not be that important to one that can make it from nature.
etc etc.
imho, if one is bugging out to a natural environment, the more you/fanily/friends know, the less youll have to pack.
me, i could go in the mountains with a bowie and be ok, my family........ not so much lol

Agreed! I think the best thing people can do is to think of their INDIVIDUAL circumstances, whether they plan to BO or BI, what they're prepping for(If anything in specific), and individual needs. Our environment is probably one of the biggest motivators as to what is needed in BO or BI supplies and training.

hell, if nothing else, theres videos on youtube on survival, traps of all kinds etc etc, ppl should look them up/practice doing them and find out what materials THEY would need for the such survival skills that would suit them and/or their familys best intrest. the only way to really know what would be best, would be to get out and do it BEFORE shit actually hit the fan.

Emergency repelling or to attach some thing or to keep some thing closed. The list goes on and on.

Latest posts

Back