Crank A Watt Generator

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewis H

Reaction score
I'm looking for information on this hand crank generator http://www.prestowind.com/full-list-of-products.html The manufacturing company has some clips on YouTube but I can't find any USER reviews that really answer my questions. I'm looking for an unbiased opinion from a qualified electrician/electronics tech or someone with enough electrical experience to give me reliable information.

Before I pose questions, my intent is to find a way to generate electricity to charge small electronic devices and batteries for radios, flashlights, NVG optics etc. I don't plan on running any appliances except a small hot plate http://cadco-ltd.com/product/csr-3t like this one. I'm considering this as my main source for cooking, heating water etc. With the food I would cook I would only need to run it for 20-30 minutes at a time, twice a day.

I know there are alternate means of cooking but I want a back up cooking method in the event ALL other fuel sources are exhausted or become inaccessible. The manufacturer claims this unit would not be damaged by an EMP attack except for the inverter for which a spare could be kept in a faraday cage. Will this generator function in the event of an EMP? If so will it power a hot plate either while cranking or after cranking to store a sufficient charge?

If it would only run a hot plate from stored energy, how many batteries would you need and how long approximately would you need to crank this thing to generate that much power? I know I'm going to get suggestions about solar panels, wind generators, wood stoves etc. but I only want to know if this generator would work if none of those other options were possible, before I waste any money.

Lewis, I would strongly advise against using electric resistance for cooking, especially in a scenario where electricity is dear. It is extremely inefficient to say the least.

I would look into portable induction cooktops instead. Much more energy efficient. These are quite common in Asia.
Here is an example I picked from random from Amazon. You'll need to do your own checking for the best unit for you.

https://www.amazon.com/hOmeLabs-Por...ction+cooktop&qid=1569074961&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Very interesting device. Just my opinion based upon no facts whatsoever.

"off grid" systems (whether solar, wind, hydro, etc) are basically just "battery chargers". You use the system to charge 12v or 24v batteries. Then you use a DC to AC inverter to create 120v AC energy. If you read the specs of this system, it is also just a battery charger. You use the crank powered alternator to charge the batteries and they feed the inverter so you can power your 120v devices. I can see real advantages with this system. It can be used indoors with nothing showing on the outside (no solar panels, no wind turbines, etc). The trade off will be that someone would have to provide the energy to turn the crank.
As with all of these type of systems, the weak point is the batteries. Any battery that is used for energy storage and used to power an inverter is expensive. You should not use standard car batteries. They are not designed for this and won't last long, but could be used in a pinch (just won't last long). If you read the specs for these systems, it appears they do not supply the batteries which is where the greatest expense will come from.

Giving this some thought, this could really be a great item to have as a backup to your solar panels. The weak point for Solar is when the sun has not been out for a few days. During this period, just pull out the little crank and pedal your batteries to full charge. Not sure how much/long you will have to pedal but at least it can help until the sun comes back out.

I cannot comment on these specific products but the concept is very solid. Once I complete my solar setup, I may consider this as a backup. I had thought of using a wind turbine as backup, but may do this due to it not having any outside parts. Hmmmm, wonder how good wifey is at pedaling a bike.

Last edited:
Lewis, I would strongly advise against using electric resistance for cooking, especially in a scenario where electricity is dear. It is extremely inefficient to say the least.

I would look into portable induction cooktops instead. Much more energy efficient. These are quite common in Asia.
Here is an example I picked from random from Amazon. You'll need to do your own checking for the best unit for you.

https://www.amazon.com/hOmeLabs-Por...ction+cooktop&qid=1569074961&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Thanks for the heads up DR Henley, that would be critical item if I get the generator.

Very interesting device. Just my opinion based upon no facts whatsoever.

"off grid" systems (whether solar, wind, hydro, etc) are basically just "battery chargers". You use the system to charge 12v or 24v batteries. Then you use a DC to AC inverter to create 120v AC energy. If you read the specs of this system, it is also just a battery charger. You use the crank powered alternator to charge the batteries and they feed the inverter so you can power your 120v devices. I can see real advantages with this system. It can be used indoors with nothing showing on the outside (no solar panels, no wind turbines, etc). The trade off will be that someone would have to provide the energy to turn the crank.
As with all of these type of systems, the weak point is the batteries. Any battery that is used for energy storage and used to power an inverter is expensive. You should not use standard car batteries. They are not designed for this and won't last long, but could be used in a pinch (just won't last long). If you read the specs for these systems, it appears they do not supply the batteries which is where the greatest expense will come from.

Giving this some thought, this could really be a great item to have as a backup to your solar panels. The weak point for Solar is when the sun has not been out for a few days. During this period, just pull out the little crank and pedal your batteries to full charge. Not sure how much/long you will have to pedal but at least it can help until the sun comes back out.

I cannot comment on these specific products but the concept is very solid. Once I complete my solar setup, I may consider this as a backup. I had thought of using a wind turbine as backup, but may do this due to it not having any outside parts. Hmmmm, wonder how good wifey is at pedaling a bike.
Jack what kind of a battery would I need if my intent is to run an induction plate for 20-30 minutes once a day maybe twice a day if practical?

Anyone have any idea how long you might have to crank this thing to store enough power to run an induction plate for a half hour?

HRDSP_3.jpg
I have a wood-burning, energy-efficient hiking stove that I plan to use.....in edition to an old, Ozark brand propane camp stove from Walmart.
download.jpeg

1030650195d06f2b947f98.jpg

These two stoves have served me very well.

I like stoves like these because I can boil water, sterilize medical stuff with a pressure cooker, and so on.

The propane stove ran me about $35.00 around 19 years ago, and it still runs with no problems at all.

I've found that nail polish remover (remember, nail polish remover is inflamable) is good for taking offthat tacky, oily residue that builds up.....but test a small spot to make sure that it doesn't take off the enamel paint.

I've even burned dry seaweed as an experiment in the wood burning stove, and it works fine.

The hose is an adaptor that lets me run the stove off of a large, 15 pound propane tank.

Last edited:
View attachment 9538 I have a wood-burning, energy-efficient hiking stove that I plan to use.....in edition to an old, Ozark brand propane camp stove from Walmart.
View attachment 9536

View attachment 9537

These two stoves have served me very well.

I like stoves like these because I can boil water, sterilize medical stuff with a pressure cooker, and so on.

The propane stove ran me about $35.00 around 19 years ago, and it still runs with no problems at all.

I've found that nail polish remover (remember, nail polish remover is inflamable) is good for taking offthat tacky, oily residue that builds up.....but test a small spot to make sure that it doesn't take off the enamel paint.

I've even burned dry seaweed as an experiment in the wood burning stove, and it works fine.

The hose is an adaptor that lets me run the stove off of a large, 15 pound propane tank.
Kevin these are definitely good to have in your preps but I want back up incase fuel runs out or you have to bug in for an extended period of time.

Latest posts

Back