COVID-19 Second Wave Preparedness

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Parahunter

Banned
Reaction score
A coworker reached out to me yesterday (7/7/2020) and advised that a relative of his is a truck driver for Wal-Mart who provided him some pressing information. The relative advised that Wal-mart is rationing/reducing shipments and product as of this week in preparation of a second wave of COVID-19, anticipated for later this year. Now I know how that sounds ("I know a guy who knows a medic who used to work for a local hospital who said...."), but this coworker and I have never spoken about the pandemic or preparing for it (he doesn't know I'm a prepper at all. I don't mix that with work for some pretty obvious reasons.) He told me this out of the blue, perhaps for general concern, and I consider him a "high confidence" resource because of that.

I'm also not putting this out there for fear mongering or to gas-light a conspiracy, but it's my strong opinion that a second wave is coming and considering the panic we all saw for the (still on-going) first wave by the general public, it's prudent to ensure your preps are stocked and in-line. Any preps you tapped during the first wave need to be restocked, and any shortages you experienced during that first wave need to be increased in stock pretty quickly, too. Use the first wave as a learning experience to improve.

Peace.

We are already in the second wave. The death rate hasn't skyrocketed for several reasons, but the infection rate already has many places. It's not the scary big unknown it was six months ago, and never will be the scary big unknown again. This is why people don't panic over the flu, even though it has a high death rate.

Welcome to the "new normal."

Aren't we still on the first wave? Yeah TX saw numbers back in Mar, but nowhere near what it is today. We had numbers rise then level because of shutdown. Reopening along with holidays and protest its climbing back up. We never had a downward turn. We just delayed the first wave from peaking.

It could be somewhat misleading to show any kind of trend nationally because different states have been affected at different times. And also the reported infection rate is highly dependent on testing rate, which is why I have been using the death rate as an indicator instead of the infection rate. Some places in the US are on their first wave according to the death rate including my county.

But if you look at the country as a whole, there are definitely two waves of infection rates.

Looking at this chart, you have to remember that the testing rate was so low initially, the infection rates for the first few months were grossly under-reported (much more so than now) and the real numbers were probably higher than the current numbers. What looks like a slow decline in new infections on the chart doesn't take into account that the testing rates were increasing during that time.
zWpbZJk.png

Last edited:
My little tid bit down south. As for our store ( not Walmart) we are not limiting items of food right now, but are still on toilet paper and sanitizers. But most of my specialty cheese come from our northern states and I can tell you that is still a bit of miss on products coming in. Not sure why that is though. I have an order that is supposed to come in either Fri or Sat and a warehouse order Friday morning. I'll see how much I get.

I did go online to do an online order at Wal-Mart just to see their limit on items. I just did a few basic food items of flour, suger, tomato paste and laundry detergent items. Everything was limit of 3 except canned goods were limit of 6.

We are definitely still in the first wave of this. I don’t worry so much about positive cases as much as the icu rate and death rate. ICUs are filling up fast now and the death rate is just starting to climb again as the total infections continue to climb. We didn’t reopen too soon in my opinion, we just reopened without any plan. PPE needs to be mandatory until we get a vaccine.
as far as supplies go, I’m fully stocked on TP But still bring home more every time I go to the grocery. As fast as the price is increasing it’s probably one of the best returns on investments out there! I feel pretty good about having supplies overall. A lifetime of being a prepper has definitely made this easier for my wife and I.

I just did a large curbside Walmart order a couple days ago to top up. Dry goods like sugar, rice and beans were not a problem. Paper products were hit and miss. TP yes and paper towels no. No alcohol (disinfectant). No peroxide. Liquid laundry detergent was scarce and I had to get a different brand. Canned goods were also hit and miss. Tuna no, dry pasta was on sale so stocked up. Baking soda was unavailable online. Got what I could and will try another in a week or so to see if I can get what was out of stock. I will continue to do curbside orders while the supply chain is open to remain topped up. I am trying to avoid going in stores again!

Have even rendered my own lard for soap from pig fat. That is a job. You can no longer get lye because it is used to make meth and many stores no longer carry it. But in a pinch you could make your own with wood ashes. I am thankful for the knowledge and experience though. Just another survival skill if needed.

Have even rendered my own lard for soap from pig fat. That is a job. You can no longer get lye because it is used to make meth and many stores no longer carry it. But in a pinch you could make your own with wood ashes. I am thankful for the knowledge and experience though. Just another survival skill if needed.
easiest way I have found to render lard is put it in a big electric roasting pan on a low setting. You have to stir way less. I have even let it go over night with no problems. I had to do close to a 100lbs when one of our freezers went out. Didn't have room in other freezers to save the lard once we got everything else put over so rendered batch after batch.

Definitely get all your supplies in order now. We are not dealing with a rational public nor are we dealing with a diarrhea epidemic, although a certain large segment of our population are indeed full of ****. We have a flu type sickness and what do they do? hoard toilet paper. If you are a guy and you use multiple rolls a month. you must work for CNN. Yet people were buying 100s of rolls of TP. Definitely check you food stuffs, the end of the year may be rocky for more reasons than just the Kung Flu

Last edited:
My mom was just asking me to search the forum for soap making! 😂
Off the soap topic, what are everyone’s thoughts about school? I know many of you already have adult children but mine are 5 and 7. My 5 yr old has asthma, sleep apnea, and is scheduled for adenoids removal august 11. I made sure to stock up on his steroids and rescue inhalers when all this started but here in San Antonio, schools appear to be opening back up regularly in august. Our isd has given the option for distance learning but my ex husband is fighting me and thinks they should go back for face to face learning.

My mom was just asking me to search the forum for soap making! 😂
Off the soap topic, what are everyone’s thoughts about school? I know many of you already have adult children but mine are 5 and 7. My 5 yr old has asthma, sleep apnea, and is scheduled for adenoids removal august 11. I made sure to stock up on his steroids and rescue inhalers when all this started but here in San Antonio, schools appear to be opening back up regularly in august. Our isd has given the option for distance learning but my ex husband is fighting me and thinks they should go back for face to face learning.

Lexi I would consult your pediatrician right away. If your little one didn’t have asthma or the like it wouldn’t be such a concern. Not to be rude, but to hell with your ex. Do what the doctor advises.

My granddaughters are not really school aged yet but do attend "school" a few days a week at the church. DIL says she is not going to be sending them this year because she thinks the new "rules" will be too hard for the girls. I mean really, how are they expecting kids to keep a 6ft distance from another and wear a face mask all day? There is even talk about putting up plexy glass around the desk like you see in the stores. Right now she is just going to be teaching them at home. The oldest turns 5 in November. Hopefully by next year when she does start all this will be behind us.

Lexi I would consult your pediatrician right away. If your little one didn’t have asthma or the like it wouldn’t be such a concern. Not to be rude, but to hell with your ex. Do what the doctor advises.
Great minds Georgia! I’ve been trying to call them all week and can’t get through. It’s really weird. But you’re right, I shouldn’t care what my ex says. He’s never once been the one to stay for days in the hospital with my son.

H
My granddaughters are not really school aged yet but do attend "school" a few days a week at the church. DIL says she is not going to be sending them this year because she thinks the new "rules" will be too hard for the girls. I mean really, how are they expecting kids to keep a 6ft distance from another and wear a face mask all day? There is even talk about putting up plexy glass around the desk like you see in the stores. Right now she is just going to be teaching them at home. The oldest turns 5 in November. Hopefully by next year when she does start all this will be behind us.
I was a first grade teacher for years and can’t see any way that I would have been able to keep masks on my students and social distance.

This might be slightly off topic but it concerns the current situation and has me concerned.

Is it possible that the whole Covid-19 pandemic is just a way for the government to seize control of the population and force us in to complying with living in a state of total government control and compliance like in N. Korea, China or the former USSR. Do you think it's possible that America could fall into becoming such a regime or am I worried for unnecessary reasons.

Latest posts

Back