Cooking with a solar cooker

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your opinion on solar cookers:

• Build one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No need to get one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iPrepMan

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been wondering if some of you have any experiences with solar cookers. I've seen them recently in action and found them quite interesting.

Do you think it is good to have one?
And if yes, do you think it would make sense to buy one (how much?) or better try to build one?

I'd appreciate to hear your opinions or experiences!

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I've been wondering if some of you have any experiences with solar cookers. I've seen them recently in action and found them quite interesting.

Do you think it is good to have one?
And if yes, do you think it would make sense to buy one (how much?) or better try to build one?

I'd appreciate to hear your opinions or experiences!
Welcome to the forum.I own one and have some experience with a solar cooker.I did a little review awhile back here with my thoughts on the good and bad of them.If you can afford one they are a great alternative to cooking using no fuel,but they only work as advertised under optimal conditions.Here's a link to my review-

http://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?threads/does-anybody-have-a-soar-oven.2426/
I think they are a good idea to have no other reason than "Just in Case."
I will be shopping around for one, and once I get one I too will experiment with it.
The one problem I see is using it in the winter time.

I think they are a good idea to have no other reason than "Just in Case."
I will be shopping around for one, and once I get one I too will experiment with it.
The one problem I see is using it in the winter time.
I found it to be more dependent on good sunlight than outside temps.They're insulated pretty good.

Thank you sharkbait and Clyde for your replies! Your review you linked also was very helpful.

Interesting that you say that the outside temperatures are not that relevant because I have also heard the opposite. I guess I will just give it a try and find out for myself :)

Does anyone else have any good or bad experiences with solar cookers (either built or homemade)?

Latest posts

Back