Cooking Oil? Help!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravery

Reaction score
I wanted to buy some cooking oil and after going to Sam's I'm really confused. I saw that they had smaller jugs of vegetable oil and canola oil. They also had 35 lbs jugs of "Clear Frying Oil" and 35lbs jugs of "peanut oil". What should I buy? We use vegetable oil at home but I would rather get the larger jugs of it. The only time I have used peanut oil was deep frying a turkey. I don't know if it would be good for everyday use.

Can someone help me out? :confused:
puzzled.jpg

I think the type of oil you use would be personal preference. buy a small one and test it out to see if you like a certain kind or not.

as to the big jugs, keep in mind it can go rancid outside of a year.

The fryer oil is what they use in fast food places for fries and such. I'd go with the half gallon jugs of veg oil you get at the market. Coconut oil and olive oil keep awhile longer than the others I do believe.

How about lard? It keeps for a good while and you can can it to keep it longer.
Does it keep better? When I was a boy, I used to make french fries with lard... they were so tasty! But then again everyone made fries with animal fat.

If you look in the High school yearbooks (I know the ones from the 70s), many of them took polls about who the favorite teacher was, what was the best hangout, and what the favorite food was... all the ones I saw said McDonald's French Fries (back when they used animal fat... now they use vegetable oil). These days... the kids say pizza (at least around here).

Damn Food Police :rocket:

I think it keeps better. I've used 5 year old lard for frying and such and it was fine. I render our own lard off of our hogs, so I don't know how different it is from store bought lard.

I'll have to see if it's streaming on Netflix. I think the reason I haven't watched the whole thing is Brad Pitt, he used to annoy the heck out of me.

I'll have to see if it's streaming on Netflix. I think the reason I haven't watched the whole thing is Brad Pitt, he used to annoy the heck out of me.
Have you been to Watch32.com? They have all kinds of movies ... I was watching the new Red Dawn there today. The quality is not the way I like it but... the price is exactly what I like... FREE.

Yes it is easy... for example I wanted to watch the new "Red Dawn". I put Red Dawn in the search and hit enter... and there was 3 different servers I could watch it from. I picked Google.

The quality suffers but for free... you kinda expect it. The other thing is you can click a button to watch the entire movie or watch it in segments. My friend (a computer guy) said that sometimes if you click to watch the entire movie it will jump segments... so I was watching it segment by segment. (Actually, I never finished it.... still working on seeing the rest of it).

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/

The site listed above feeds off of dozens of other sites and can offer almost every episode of every TV show and movie out there. I just plugged a desktop into my tv and between this site and HULU plus I don't even have a cable service anymore. I pay like $55 a month for high speed internet and that is it. I've not have any problems with picking up viruses off this site either.

You could find lots of good cooking shows, to help you pick what kind of oil you want. (just trying to bring it full cirle so nobody pulls the "off topic" flag on me!

Soooo..... I could finally watch season 3 of the Walking Dead????? If you say yes, I'm going to go do a nekkid hoo-hoo dance in the front yard!
I just watched episode 8 last night!

They will show you a list of links. I recommend shockshare, potlucker, or gorillavids if they are available for the best load times. If your neighbors complain about the dance, just leave me out of it!

Thank you kindly ChickenLittle. I'll see what I can find this evening. I'm not worried about neighbors, none are close enough to see anything and if they did, just lets them know I'm a little off plumb and maybe they should steer clear of my place.

Latest posts

Back