Cookbook for preppers

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that I have made bread about 20 different ways now.
Ash cakes: dough dry, laid on the hot ground in ashes and surrounded by hot coals or covered in hot ashes, brushed clean.
No knead bread: mix the water, salt and yeast, add flour, stir to a sticky dough and pour into a form, bake how you wish.
Flour mix bread: wheat, barley and rye flours mixed to your desire and use the amount of yeast for your amounts.
Flour and oatmeal: grind the oatmeal into flour in a coffee grinder and use about a third oatmeal and two thirds flour for your bread.
Bannock bread: two cups of rolled oats and two thirds a cup of water with a third cup of heavy cream and a spoonful of butter for taste. Griddle, frying pan or ash baking.
Bannock fluffy: add yeast and raisens or dried fruits and bake in an oven or in the frying pan with a lid.
Hardtack: flour of your choice and salt with water, baked three times till it is bulletproof hard.
Stick bread: make your preferred dough and wrap around a stick over a fire or laid near the coals.
Bread in a can: dough slightly sticky into a Nr. size can you want, or several cans at once, lightly greased and bake till golden brown top, leave in can so it lasts longer. DO NOT USE PAINTED CANS....
Bread in a mason jar: dough slightly sticky, damp top, bake till done and put the rubber sealer on only when the glass is cool enough to not melt it and then the lid. Let cool and take camping. PS: only jars with a larger mouth or the bread will not come out...
Indian fry bread: dough with flour, potatoes or acorn flour, salt, water, oil and any dried fruits or even meat. Deep fry or lightly oiled frying pan, both work.
German black bread: whole wheat and or buckwheat flour with its brown color, water, salt, bread spices, yeast and baking powder, bake as needed.
Cornbread: 50/50 cornmeal and flour of choice, salt, baking powder or baking soda and butter. Bake as desired.
Fullcorn bread: Flour, water, sunflower seeds, leinen seeds, sesame seeds, yeast and salt. Bake as desired.
Turkish bread: a spoon of dry yeast, a spoon of salt, an egg, 200 ml of milk, 100 ml of oil, 50 ml of water and 600 grams of flour. Bake as needed.
Pumpkin bread: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and nutmeg. White and brown sugar in 1/2 cup of oil mixed. Eggs, vanilla and pumpkin meat. Bake as needed.

Not to mention all the biscuits, pancakes, waffles, pogascha, crepés, langós and palacinta over the years too. Keep trying and you will find your favorite. Boob-tube has too many recipes for one lifetime...
I've made every one of these except for Pumpkin in scouting. Have some outstanding camp cook books from back then.

6C706F74-26F7-4AE5-98FF-25B4D81FAF46.jpeg
C815E393-FB96-43FB-9F93-C7DCD9B92522.jpeg

First attempt baking bread in the pyro. Somewhat burned but still delicious.

Yes! It’s a lodge pan. I’m collecting cast iron cookware 😃
I can’t even begin to count our cast iron collection. It far outnumbers the old pans.

Most are Lodge. Several are unidentifiable that I salvaged. Even have one out of NZ which is a great sausage cooker.

I will give you a hint, on enameled cast iron there is a reason why there is only one brand to buy. Everything else stains.

I will qualify it a little more.
When I cook something acidic based like tomato sauce, I have to work harder to get my seasoning level back on the black cast.
I find that enameled works better for these types of dishes. Hence why I like La Xxxx and it doesn't stain the enamel on them.

Fire too hot. I do the bread recipe and put it into rolls, stick it in a very well greased cast iron dutch oven. Lid it. Some hot briquets on top of the lid and under the pot...15 min, then remove the heat from the bottom, just briquets on the lid for 10 to 15 min more till down.

Fantastic idea. Thank you. I was thinking to cut down the time too
You might try putting a small cookie sheet or maybe a double layer of aluminum foil under the pan to shield it from the direct heat.
DrHenley has the right idea, you need the direct heat re-directed. You only need the hot air and not the flames to bake. Get a piece of sheet metal, cut it to the size needed to be a bit larger than the cast iron baking pan, bend it in the middle to be slightly slanted and make little hook forms on each side to hang it under the pan on the grill bars. It will deflect the direct flame heat around the pan and heat more evenly and not burn your bread...Gary

41t2r2tV%2BzL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Amazon.com
  • Publisher: Amazon (April 13, 2020)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-13: 979-8636814795
  • ASIN: B08731CPXS
  • Product Dimensions: 6.1 x 0.3 x 9.2 inches
Are you the author? I just ordered a copy of the book. It is more than just a cookbook. I imagine that many people made things like this from this book when they were homesteading, such as vinegar, cheese, and more.

Latest posts

Back