Compass and topographical map

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you now how to use a map and compass

• yes

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • no

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • kind of

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • no clue at all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
yeah it's a great idea..of course some folks will know the imideate area of where they live..buut thier gonna need some thing to help out after that..i have 2 compass's in b.o.b. at this time..pluse a texas map.i still need a map of the town and imediate area of where i live thoe..

Compass, map, and binoculars. If you want to compute distances then keep also ruler and goniometer, the small ones, obviously. Write down the basic values of trigonometry if you don't want/cannot keep a computer with yourself.
It's also useful to know how to spot the North star.
Remember to draw the track mile by mile.

Last edited:
Persoanlly I've done a ton of hiking with maps as my guid and can't stress enough how important it is to get an accurate one. We got lost for 3 days once because the map we had (my fault) wasn't updated to include a massive land slide and the immidate area needed to be avoided.

This pole is to see if we need a book in the library on map and compass.
i have a book on map and compass use it is Robert L.Mooers,JR." Finding Your Way in the Outdoors" covers compass navigation,map reading,route finding and weather forecasting. very in depth book around 262 pages .

i have a book on map and compass use it is Robert L.Mooers,JR." Finding Your Way in the Outdoors" covers compass navigation,map reading,route finding and weather forecasting. very in depth book around 262 pages .

Cool, I'll start putting info together, at least we can point members in the right direction. Thanks for the info.

i guess growing up in the country has a lot of credit for this.but I've always been able to know and remember the direction i came from and going to by certain lands marks,and keep my bearings straight at least some what on both accounts.it pays to pay attention to where you just came from by turning around to have a look back every once in a while..

I'm fairly good at finding my way around. That said I love having a map and compass with me when I'm in new territory. I've been looking for a good map of this area for a while now.

oh yeah,nothing can replace a map and compass when in new territory.especilly seeing how easy it is to get lost and/or confused to where you are.and at least some knowledge of the area can prove to be a big pluse if you can obtain it before hand..

Latest posts

Back