Comparing vacum bags

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandx

Demi-God
Reaction score
I have compared some prices at Walmart. I believe that FoodSaver brand is probably of the best quality. Here are the prices on 8x20. Walmart brand 7.00 roll, FoodSaver 9.00 roll and Ziploc 8.00 roll, each roll is 20 feet long, I have rounded up a few pennies. What bags do you use and what is the cost and quality?
I noticed there are ALOT on ebay and some brands I never heard of. So which is best???

I have compared some prices at Walmart. I believe that FoodSaver brand is probably of the best quality. Here are the prices on 8x20. Walmart brand 7.00 roll, FoodSaver 9.00 roll and Ziploc 8.00 roll, each roll is 20 feet long, I have rounded up a few pennies. What bags do you use and what is the cost and quality?
I noticed there are ALOT on ebay and some brands I never heard of. So which is best???

We had some FoodSaver bags lose their vacuum on us, so I’ve been buying from Cabelas. Prices vary based on width, but they’re here

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/pro...AL-1605403&WT.z_pg_ref=prd728909#BVQAWidgetID

I had some foodsaver bags loose vacuum as well. I didn’t do a close inspection to see why, but it’s happened at least three times. I will switch brands next time and see if it can happen to other ones.

We had some FoodSaver bags lose their vacuum on us, so I’ve been buying from Cabelas. Prices vary based on width, but they’re here

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/pro...AL-1605403&WT.z_pg_ref=prd728909#BVQAWidgetID
Yes, I checked these bags, they seem to be like the FoodSaver (especially for game) bags, the cost of the Cabela's would be 6.50 for a 8x20 roll, there is no Cabela's store around here so I would have to pay for shipping. I am not including taxes and shipping on the prices that I have listed. Thanks

I am thinking the possible reason for bag failure could be in the seal, some do a wider seal and some a double and some just a thin line.

I had a very old FoodSaver and I was having to double and triple seal it and I would still have bag failures. The sealing strip was just going bad, it was getting wrinkled and would not form a consistent seal. So I bought a new one - just the no-frills basic model, and it seals much much better than the old one ever did, with a wider sealing strip.

I had a very old FoodSaver and I was having to double and triple seal it and I would still have bag failures. The sealing strip was just going bad, it was getting wrinkled and would not form a consistent seal. So I bought a new one - just the no-frills basic model, and it seals much much better than the old one ever did, with a wider sealing strip.

Ours is a cabelas branded one. The bags that didn’t seal or whatever (I have my suspicions that my wife was pitching them in the freezer) were done on it when new. At least I have a set of replacement sealing strips for it.

The cabelas bags are a little thicker than the foodsaver bags.

Oh yeah -and sealing unfrozen meat doesn’t work nearly as well as pre-freezing it,,,
I believe the juices flowing up to the seal when suctioning can affect the quality of the seal too. Pre freezing it helps a lot with that. I at least shut down the suction just before the juices reach the seal.

Last edited:
We've bought the Food Saver bags and another brand that I can not think of the name off hand. . . The second brand did not work for us so have only been using the Food Saver now. My seal is in need of getting replaced soon. I have to mash it down in order to get the air to suction out. I do double seal. Last boxes I picked up were a double roll for $13 something.

Ok then, I wondered if that was an issue. My old Seal-a-Meal has a dark spot, just a tiny darkened area on the sealer, this area tends to create a tiny melted hole when it seals, but it does seal well and holds it. The old FoodSaver doesn't seal anymore but the vacumn works great and this is what I seal my jars with as the SAM doesn't have a jar sealer. It is kind of a pain but if it works, then OK. You know, use it up, wear it out or do without, or whatever that saying is. I am looking for a backup new one now.
Actually I am researching a lot of things.

Ours is a cabelas branded one. The bags that didn’t seal or whatever (I have my suspicions that my wife was pitching them in the freezer) were done on it when new. At least I have a set of replacement sealing strips for it.

The cabelas bags are a little thicker than the foodsaver bags.
That is good to know, the cabelas are about 6.50 a 8x20 roll and the foodsavers 8.98 for same size. so it sounds as if the cabela is the better deal, better than ziplock and Walmart brand.

Additional research on vac rolls, I see almost nothing but 4 mil, even if advertised as commercial use, it is still 4 mil, so don't let the lingo fool you.
Only gets to 5 mil when moving into mylar, and one I saw was 10mil on one side, but still 4 mil on the other. So if there is one side that is 4 mil then that is all the food protection there is, don't care if the back side is 10 mil. 99% of the rolls I checked were 4 mil, brand names or not. So I am going to try some weird brand and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back