Communication with daughter

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinjopo1

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter lives about 15 miles away and am considering ways to stay in communication in the case of an employee and phones are out. I'm thinking of portable ham radios kept in a Faraday box until needed. Any other suggestions? Thanks

ham radio or Sat Phones

c2HZqigd.jpg

ham radio or Sat Phones

c2HZqigd.jpg
Been reading up on both. Confused... I know I would only use the ham in an emergency and can't see getting a license if I'm not going to use it. The satellite phones are more expensive.

if i remember right.there's certain frequencies that dont require a ham license..and im thinking,that'll be the lower frequencies..

Been reading up on both. Confused... I know I would only use the ham in an emergency and can't see getting a license if I'm not going to use it. The satellite phones are more expensive.

Well in my opinion you'd want to get your license prior to needing to use the radios as you'll want to make sure you understand how they work, and all the other intricacies of how radios work over long distances.

My daughter lives about 15 miles away and am considering ways to stay in communication in the case of an employee and phones are out. I'm thinking of portable ham radios kept in a Faraday box until needed. Any other suggestions? Thanks
If you're only 15 miles apart, wouldn't a CB, or CB with SSB (Single Side Band) work? I'm far from a communications expert, and I'm also trying to figure out communications with family that's 30 miles away. Where I live there is no chance of getting a landline and cell phone only works about 20 miles from home.

If you're only 15 miles apart, wouldn't a CB, or CB with SSB (Single Side Band) work? I'm far from a communications expert, and I'm also trying to figure out communications with family that's 30 miles away. Where I live there is no chance of getting a landline and cell phone only works about 20 miles from home.
I was researching cbs last night and the average range is 4 miles. I really was hoping it would be further.

Friends! we have here comm knowledge alot;send a p.m to Clyde and browse through the comms thread too,but Clyde and CommoFreq know a greatdeal about these things.

I
The license for operating ham radios is very affordable, then again, in an emergency, are you going to let lack of a license stop you?
I've been thinking about that alot today. I had math. Some of the questions I know will never be useful to me in any situation. Hz Mhz.......... :)

I do like your idea of placing a couple of radios in a faraday cage. I too have been looking at doing the same thing. But even in Ham radio world, small handheld (HT's) will only go so far as they are usually only 5 watts.

However for only $159.95 (when not on sale) you can get the Yaesu FT-2900R, 2 meter radio that has up to 75 watts of power. This is one of the best radios out there for the price.

You can buy very inexpensive handhelds through Amazon called Baofeng UV-5RE. These aren't the best radios, but for $35.00 they are good radios. My kids use them so they have been tested.
I do recommend having both types of radios, handheld and a base/mobile rig.
Hope this helps out.

My neighbor was telling me of "modified cbs " that reach very long distance. Not sure if that's legal though.

Both of you should have base ham radios (and handhelds). Who cares about a license in an emergency? But, you'd be better off knowing how it all works, so still advised. Not really a large investment.

Latest posts

Back