Communication with daughter

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both of you should have base ham radios (and handhelds). Who cares about a license in an emergency? But, you'd be better off knowing how it all works, so still advised. Not really a large investment.
Thanks

Okay. Here's what I've decided to purchase: baofeng BF-F8HP 8 watt Dual Band 136-174 Mhz VHF & 400-520 Mhz UHF. Includes full kit with large battery $59.75. Also getting Ham Radio for Dummies Book. Speak now if I'm making a mistake. Ordering this afternoon :)

Okay. Here's what I've decided to purchase: baofeng BF-F8HP 8 watt Dual Band 136-174 Mhz VHF & 400-520 Mhz UHF. Includes full kit with large battery $59.75. Also getting Ham Radio for Dummies Book. Speak now if I'm making a mistake. Ordering this afternoon :)
I'd be interested to hear from you how well these preform. Form some of the reviews that I've read on this unit they claimed about a 10-12 mile range. I've decided to go with a SSB radio, not sure what model yet. We'll be able to compare.

Most cb guys get their range by adding amps to their rigs . Ssb , ham etc. will vary according to propagation . I live in Ky & have reached Ca. with a ssb cb putting out 8 watts . Others have reached Europe from coastal cities here in the U.S.A . It varies day to day .If you are planning to use in your bf's in a vehicle an external roof antenna is almost a must .

T
Most cb guys get their range by adding amps to their rigs . Ssb , ham etc. will vary according to propagation . I live in Ky & have reached Ca. with a ssb cb putting out 8 watts . Others have reached Europe from coastal cities here in the U.S.A . It varies day to day .If you are planning to use in your bf's in a vehicle an external roof antenna is almost a must .
thank you for the info

Eventually, the goal for me is to get my ham license, and get a few different units.
Long range home-based one in the garage, with a large antenna
Long range, but mobile one in the truck (with external antenna)
A few handhelds, for communicating throughout the ranch (and post shtf, from horses).

I've got two PCI Race Radios ... 50w ... they are programmed to each other. They work very well ... you can buy and inverter and plug it into a wall socket ...the go directly to a battery if need be. I used one of them as a base station when my daughter stayed at the cabin when while we rode the mountains... 25 miles no problem. Much more in some places. They stay plugged up at home .. I take them everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got two PCI Race Radios ... 50w ... they are programmed to each other. They work very well ... you can buy and inverter and plug it into a wall socket ...the go directly to a battery if need be. I used one of them as a base station when my daughter stayed at the cabin when while we rode the mountains... 25 miles no problem. Much more in some places. They stay plugged up at home .. I take them everywhere

Dang 25 miles. I don't know what a PCI radio is, but I'm going to google

Latest posts

Back