Colorado Fires

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenandoah

Reaction score
I have spent what seems a lifetime as a "Prepper"...preparing for the proverbial wtshtf scenerio. Today I sit here our ranch surrounded by encroaching wildfires and I am feeling totally unprepared. We sit at 8300' elevation on the floor of the highest Alpine Valley in the entire world. That being said, we are basically on the high plains. We graze our cattle on La Veta Pass during the summer months and the Pass is now engulfed in part of the 30,000+ acre fire with zero containment. We have managed to round up all but 4 cow/calf pairs and it simply isn't safe to push back in there now to find them. Our stock is home but fires to the south near Sante Fe, NM and fires to the west from South Fork, CO combined with the La Veta Pass fire to the northeast have made our air quality non-existant. How long will our chickens, ducks, goats, cattle, horses, dogs and cats remain healthy? Our organic garden is here, our food storages, our ponds, river, and wells are here. Should we have to evacuate....I cannot imagine. In our 20+ years in the Valley, there has never been this type of fire threat. Thus my question: Until the past two weeks, fires were not a perceived threat for us, not a scenerio I considered in my Prepping. So... for future reference, do we buy another piece of property, say several miles away and "prep" there also? In addition to our Bug-In Home? For now, we pray........

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Prayers from Down Under. Know how you feel, we had the Ash Wednesday fires in early 80's. They were stopped about 2km from our home. I guess that's what prepping is all about - preparing for the unexpected. The fires are on our news quite regularly, and being the land of wild fires, as a nation we really empathise with all of you. Best wishes also to the firefighters and all the volunteers, the unsung heroes. Keep us informed.

sorry to hear of your issue with the fire n lifestock...might want to try getting your hands onto a water truck of some kind to use to at least keep the fire(s) at bay much as possible..and as for as buying property else where.just like the rest of us.you'll never find a piece of property where there no chance of wild fire when it comes to the forrest and wooded areas.so that means locateing a area that you figure to be the least chance of a wild fire..maybe even some desert area where you can have a well at least for water when it comes to buging out.and prep it as a have to bug out location if needed.

I've got you and yours in my prayers. do you have a place to move your stock if you have to? I know that has been one of my biggest concerns when planning to bug out. Who gets left behind. Never an easy choice and I sincerely hope that you do not have to make it.

Thanks so much for the prayers....they are sustaining us.
We are blessed in that all our crop and pasture lands are flood irrigated and at present are squishy wet! Those of us in imminent danger have been given the full decree of water, allowing us to drown our lands in the last 24 hours. If the cattle need to go, we now have semi's on stand-by. We moved all the horses and goats today. The boys spent the day building crates from pallets for the chickens and ducks. They will go only when we must ALL go. We have a 1973 gooseneck camper and it occurred to me in the middle of the night that I can pack all our ammo and food preps in there so....thats what I am finishing up tonight. Home canned food is a pain in the butt to pack! But by sun-up our preps should be hooked to the truck and ready to go. My husband and the boys are out loading up the last of the hay and it will go in the morning also. The fire remains at zero containment but I'm feeling much more optimistic that we will get the things that matter out of here by morning.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

I have spent what seems a lifetime as a "Prepper"...preparing for the proverbial wtshtf scenerio. Today I sit here our ranch surrounded by encroaching wildfires and I am feeling totally unprepared. We sit at 8300' elevation on the floor of the highest Alpine Valley in the entire world. That being said, we are basically on the high plains. We graze our cattle on La Veta Pass during the summer months and the Pass is now engulfed in part of the 30,000+ acre fire with zero containment. We have managed to round up all but 4 cow/calf pairs and it simply isn't safe to push back in there now to find them. Our stock is home but fires to the south near Sante Fe, NM and fires to the west from South Fork, CO combined with the La Veta Pass fire to the northeast have made our air quality non-existant. How long will our chickens, ducks, goats, cattle, horses, dogs and cats remain healthy? Our organic garden is here, our food storages, our ponds, river, and wells are here. Should we have to evacuate....I cannot imagine. In our 20+ years in the Valley, there has never been this type of fire threat. Thus my question: Until the past two weeks, fires were not a perceived threat for us, not a scenerio I considered in my Prepping. So... for future reference, do we buy another piece of property, say several miles away and "prep" there also? In addition to our Bug-In Home? For now, we pray........

Blessings,
Shenandoah
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

G'day, any updates you can share with us. Still in our thoughts and prayers.

ok Shenandoah,whats the update on things with all yall.? first of all,are each n everyone of you alright? is the livestock ok?

G'day, any updates you can share with us. Still in our thoughts and prayers.
Good Evening Friends!
Thanks for your prayers, we are all fine! Exhausted, but perfectly fine! We got to come back home Sunday evening and thankfully we still have a home! The fire got to the the neighbor's alfalfa fields and stopped right where he had begun flood irrigating his land! The heat must have been tremendous though as even without flames getting to our property, the 50' rows of beans in our garden are scorched and the edges of the woodshed roofs, asphalt shingles, have curled up. But, all in all we are feeling mighty blessed! Today we moved the first semi-load of cattle to their new summer pasture. Tomorrow the last load of cattle will arrive and at last we can take a deep breath. The brand inspector called Saturday and two of our missing cow/calf pairs had showed up in a lil town approx. 55 miles from here!! God Bless em, we didn't find em so they took themselves to the "city!!!" We still have no electricity and have been told it may be a couple more weeks before that gets fixed but no matter, we WERE prepared for the lack of power and our lil emergency system is handling things just great. The horses remain quite nervous and the chickens quit laying....but truly minor problems for the moment!

Thanks again for the well wishes and prayers!
I'm off to the solar shower and a nights rest in my own bed!!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Latest posts

Back