Colonial Pipeline attack: Clock ticks for gas supply

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? You don’t see any single sided partisan opinions here? I believe the majority of people on both sides are full of shit, and too much anger. The only way anything good will ever happen will be from intelligent moderates that understand working together and meeting somewhere in the middle makes sense.
This ransom ware has nothing to do with politics, just theft and greed. And it’s been a multi billion dollar business for more than three years now.

Have you read Ted Koppel's Lights Out book?
He notes more than a few cyber security experts (some former NSA) have stated other state nations are in our electrical grid looking for an exploit.
Or, just an opportune time.

Now that we know the ransom has been paid, I wonder what lessons learned will be reported? Or will they at all?

1620922354431.png

More than 120 retired generals and admirals sign open letter questioning Biden's mental health and backing election fraud claims

The left's response?

Former U.S. Military Leaders Sign Bizarre Open Letter Pushing Election Lies

Former U.S. Military Leaders Sign Bizarre Open Letter Pushing Election Lies | HuffPost

Meanwhile, back in reality..

Biden flubs infrastructure financing idea: '700 billion, and a trillion, 300 million billion dollars'

Biden flubs infrastructure financing idea: '700 billion, and a trillion, 300 million billion dollars' (msn.com)

'You guys are bad!' Biden tells reporters 'I'm not supposed to be answering all these questions' after Psaki admitted she advises against him taking impromptu press queries

Joe Biden tells reporters 'I'm not supposed to be answering all these questions' | Daily Mail Online

@Brent S @kevin321 You guys think you are so much more intelligent than the rest of us; so I ask, do you really not see that there is a puppet in the WH, and America is under attack by the puppet masters? As Americans, not democrats, but Americas, are you not willing to look at this objectively? The President of the United States is taking orders from a WH spokesperson!!!

More than 120 retired generals and admirals sign open letter questioning Biden's mental health and backing election fraud claims

The left's response?

Former U.S. Military Leaders Sign Bizarre Open Letter Pushing Election Lies

Former U.S. Military Leaders Sign Bizarre Open Letter Pushing Election Lies | HuffPost

Meanwhile, back in reality..

Biden flubs infrastructure financing idea: '700 billion, and a trillion, 300 million billion dollars'

Biden flubs infrastructure financing idea: '700 billion, and a trillion, 300 million billion dollars' (msn.com)

'You guys are bad!' Biden tells reporters 'I'm not supposed to be answering all these questions' after Psaki admitted she advises against him taking impromptu press queries

Joe Biden tells reporters 'I'm not supposed to be answering all these questions' | Daily Mail Online

@Brent S @kevin321 You guys think you are so much more intelligent than the rest of us; so I ask, do you really not see that there is a puppet in the WH, and America is under attack by the puppet masters? As Americans, not democrats, but Americas, are you not willing to look at this objectively? The President of the United States is taking orders from a WH spokesperson!!!
Trump is right. POS Biden is worse than Jimmy Carter.

What Colonial did was to sell the rest of us out. Now these same people which cannot be stopped by the FBI or will not be stopped by the FBI will attack everything, knowing those companies will do the easy thing and cave in. Paying a ransom should just be illegal.

How do you figure?
IF they are based out of Russia, is Russia going to help the FBI find them?
If Colonial did not pay, they may have ran the risk of the shut down for a longer period of time. That would of been even worse not only for them, but the country as a whole.
Yes, it is possible this group will attack other companies (currently reading there is a trailer trucking company that is under a ransomware attack).
As I asked before, will we see the lessons learned (i.e. review of the now unencrypted log files to see their movements in the system, or if they deleted or covered their tracks, they are that good, the FBI may not ever find them)?
What OS was used?
What vulnerability did they exploit to gain root/superuser access?
Did they phish one of the employees unknowingly?
Those are the kind of things companies need to know in order to lock down their systems, and prevent such attacks in the future.

Nothing can even stay on a topic without the political garbage thrown in nowadays here. This used to be a really good site to talk about ideas.
on a better note, the pipeline did restart today at 5pm. Don’t know if the ransom had to be paid or not. I drove past dozens of gas stations today that had no gas at all. Finally found one with premium only and a 30$ limit so I topped off at least. So in a few days all should be back to normal until the next hack. And I guarantee that with the amount of money made by these criminals there will be many more to come.
I just found out there is a gas shortage and it’s over! 😊 I don’t watch the news because it extreme on both sides. I just want to prep for whatever is needed. I guess I missed this one. I am in Texas, but if I had known I would have kept a close eye on it. I am glad you were paying attention and made it home.

If the ransom could just be a tax deduction, why were Texans charged huge amounts of money from their electric company when they lost power during the polar vortex freeze? When a company is losing money...disaster, ransom, higher price of supply to make goods....they don't just "give the government less in taxes", they raise their prices.

So their gas prices will go up to cover the payoff?
Pipeline companies don’t set the price of motor vehicle fuel, any more than oil companies do. Supply and demand set the price, plus oil and fuel are commodities and traded on the open market like any other commodity is.

U.S. capital running out of gas, even as Colonial Pipeline recovers

The U.S. capital was running out of gasoline on Friday, even as the country's largest fuel pipeline network ramped up deliveries following a cyberattack and Washington officials assured motorists that supplies would return to normal soon.

The six-day Colonial Pipeline shutdown was the most disruptive cyberattack on record, demonstratinghow vulnerable vital U.S. infrastructure is to cybercriminals.

Widespread panic buying continued two days after pipeline network restarted, leaving filling stations across the U.S. Southeast out of gas even in areas far from the pipeline. U.S. pump prices are at their highest in years, two weeks before the peak summer driving season kicks off, with traffic growing after the pandemic. The average national gasoline price has climbed to almost $3.04, the most expensive since October 2014, the American Automobile Association said.

On Friday gas station outages in Washington, D.C., climbed to 87%, from 79% the day before, tracking firm GasBuddy said. President Joe Biden assured motorists supplies should start returning to normal by this weekend.

"Most of these states/areas with outages have continued to see panicked buying, which is likely a contributing factor to the slow-ish recovery thus far," said GasBuddy's Patrick De Haan. "It will take a few weeks."

Colonial Pipeline announced late Thursday it had restarted its entire pipeline system linking refineries on the Gulf Coast to markets along the eastern seaboard.

Some states experienced modest improvements but still had a lot of gasoline outages. About 70% of gas stations in North Carolina were without fuel, with outages in around 50% of stations in Virginia, South Carolina and Georgia.

The hacking group believed responsible for the attack, DarkSide, said it had hacked four other companies including a Toshiba subsidiary in Germany
U.S. capital running out of gas, even as Colonial Pipeline recovers

Latest posts

Back